which wireless mini-PCI card should I buy?

kona

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
Hey guys I need some help here.

I am not a hacking Guru like I see many of you in this forum are judging from the number of threads there are talking about cracking WEP (I am by the way greatly inspired to read that part about securing your WEP network because of those threads).
I have decided to swap out my mini PCI card on my lappie for one that will actually work as its supposed to. I have an HP with and crappy BroadCom Card that refuses to connect properly to my WEP enabled wireless network. I have three other cards from 3 different manufacturers in other computers that work just fine so this card has got to go. My question is: Will any mini-PCI card work in any laptop? That is to say, if I were to buy for example an Intel mini-PCI card, would it fit and work properly in my HP lappie with a Radeon Express 200 chipset?

Thank you in advance

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Yes it should work just fine.

I "Strongly" recommend getting the card designed to work with your Wireless Router. Not just the same vendor, but the matching card they sold at that time.

I have worked with numerous wireless systems and that combo almost always works out the best.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
The mini-pci is a std socket. So with that said and should work, provided you can get drivers for your os. If you are having problem with WEP, which is poor security, you should move over to the WPA.

As far as cards there is one intel that has problems, just link the Ralink 2500. I moved to a PCMCI slot card. No comparison on performance.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
You need to match up the card with the type of antenna connector your laptop has. There are one or two little wires inside your laptop that connect the internal antenna(s) to the wireless card. So, needless to say, if you get a card with the wrong type of connector you'll be very sad.

With that said, my recommendation is the Senao 2511 MP Plus. You just can't beat 200mW, although it might deform your lap over extended use. Just kidding. :) If you need 802.11g, you can have a look here: http://www.netgate.com/index.php?cPath=26_34