I agree, I bought a $20 cooler from compusa to use as a band aid for the issue, comp is back to normal running fine all be it the 9800 is running a little warmer than before but seems good for now.
Yes I agree this is only a temporary solution but as long as I can tide myself through to my next build (probably within the next 12-16 months)im cool with that (i wonder how many fans i will go through before then hehe hopefully just this one.
thanks for your help guys, I was tempted to buy a radeon 9800 to replace mine but it seemed quite hard to find one now probably cos its 3 years old give or take lol.
the other reason the fan gave up is also probably the same reason, have had this pc for about 3 years or so now and i pretty much leave it on all the time, this is the first hardware failure I have had since I built it so im pretty pleased with the components and my handiwork.
Saying that I think its time to start backing up some of my data lol, video card fan goes I wonder if an HD could be next
As for your upgrade, why are you gonna wait so much? If you really cant buy the pc now and need to wait some time, the best upgrade from your actual pc would be to build a new pc in H2 2007, by then we will have
new 8900GTX from NVidia (probably)
revision 2 680i's (not sure)
maybe new raptors
faster and lower timings memories