willmarth2

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I have been set on a new sli system. There are so many combinations. Single card system, sli system, quad sli. I just wonder if it is worth it to go to sli system.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
is sli worth it?

yes and no. it depends on what you want to do.
what size monitor and what resolutions do you
want to play at.

oh and do you have a good psu and enough money?
and good cooling?

brick88

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
its better to take the money you would spend on the two cards for sli and investing it in a higher performing more expensive card. unless ur trying to sli 8800gtx's.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
That's a little harsh.. it's not a total waste. You do get some performance increases with a high resolution monitor and the newest games. It's definitely not twice the performance for twice the cost but then again it really depends on what you can afford and how much you're willing to pay.

If you can't afford it or think it's not worth it then that's your opinion... btw "total waste" is NOT an opinion it's a statement, an opinion is "I think that for myself it would be a total waste"

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
You have to ask yourself 3 questions.
1) How new are the cards I am purchasing, and how soon will it be before the release of the new Nvidia/ATI card?
2) How large is my monitor's resolution?
3) Is there anywhere else I could spend the extra money?

With 8800GTXs, I wouldn't really recommend it unless you're playing Oblivion and F.E.A.R. at 1920x1200 and higher with 4xAA and with all of the eye candy on.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
yes it is overrated. To put it in simplest form, unless you know you have a specific use that would benefit, it is very unlikely you would for the same costs in money, space, heat, power.

It is a brilliant marketing strategy by video card manufacturers though, to sell two cards per system instead of one.

phamily

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
no it does not.
and this is to if OP should get sli...
think about the performance you are gaining from purchasing 2 cards for the same price. like someone else had said, you would be better of investing into other hardware parts. if i had money, i'd invest into a nice set of speakers/ a soundcard.

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
its better to take the money you would spend on the two cards for sli and investing it in a higher performing more expensive card. unless ur trying to sli 8800gtx's.

My sentiments exactly.
It's not a total waste if you can afford it. It's a luxury for sure and as such luxuries are up to the perspective of the user. A Ferrarri is unnecessary, sure, but who wouldn't want one (or sweet luxury car/item of their choice) if they could afford it for real.

"It's only 30%" is an odd argument. It's a performance increase, isn't it? Increasing your gaming performance, is the point (assuming you're a gamer...) and if you are willing to pay the price, then you are not making a "wrong" choice.

Though... you must understand, it is by no means an economical choice.
Again, the key word is "luxury."

The only time it is a "waste" is if you don't do it right away, and with, in this case either 8800gts or 8800gtx.

Anything less, then, would be probably a waste since for the most part a single 8800gtx would beat or come damn close to (and for less) a pairing of nearly everything else. I.e.: If you're thinking "I'll sli a couple of cheap 7900gs!" I would like to hurt you :p.

And, if you go the "I'll get one 8800gtx now, and get the other later" route. You run the very likely risk of buying that second card when even those two together, are now only marginally faster (if at all) than the latest and greatest single card.

So, in short, do it now and do it right and expect to pay through the nose for your luxury, and enjoy it.
Some people have expensive tastes, I'm not one of them, but I'm not going to crap on their opinions either. If I were particularly wealthy, and could spend the 1k+ on the two cards alone, I would sli a couple 8800gtx's myself, and I'm willing to bet any gamer here would too. Otherwise, what's the point if it's not to make it look as pretty as your budget would allow. If you can afford it, I bow to you and I, for one, would admit my jealousy.
If it means missing a few car payments... then... I would highly reconsider it.

I have been set on a new sli system. There are so many combinations. Single card system, sli system, quad sli. I just wonder if it is worth it to go to sli system.

Well first of all are the opinions you're getting coming from actual SLI users, or just sideline opinion givers? Its your money if you want to spend it on an SLI configuration go for it.

I'm running 2 7800GTXs in SLI now as factual as I can put it the only drawbacks from running an SLI configuration I've run across so far is some of the older games don't like it, and some won't run in SLI period, however the games I most like to play, FarCry, F.E.A.R., and F.E.A.R Extraction Point, Call of Duty 2, Doom 3, Battlefield 2, Prey, all run fantastic in SLI, running on a single core FX57 CPU.

Now running a dual core FX60 and the same SLI setup there were some problems, especially with FarCry and no patches or fixes resolved it, F.E.A.R. seemed OK but not as smooth as running SLI with a single core CPU, now maybe someone can come along and explain why that was happening, but I just switched back to a single core CPU and the problems vanished.

Is SLI overated?

Well 30% gain over an already kickass system is 30% any way you look at it.

Hope that helps.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
also doesnt SLI restrict you to using 1 monitor?

At 1280x1024 single monitor the SLI will give you the best performance in demanding games like Oblivion, FEAR, ect. I have that setup. But SLI can be use with multiple monitors and hi-rez, it's what it's for in the first place.

joewho

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
I don't think it is, and this is why. Last year I built a new system with all the best stuff. The GPU was a ASUS 7800GTX TOP which I paid $580 for. My 3dmark06 score was around 4900. Well 11 months later I pickup another ASUS 7800GTX TOP card on eBay for $150. Now my 3dMark06 score is 8300 and my 3dmark05 scores are very close to a single 8800GTX. My choice was to sell my GPU for $150 and then spend $650 or $500 out of pocket or spend $150 for a very nice boost. SOOOOOO I think it's worth it.

But, like others said buy the best card you can upfront!

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
yes it is overrated. To put it in simplest form, unless you know you have a specific use that would benefit, it is very unlikely you would for the same costs in money, space, heat, power.

It is a brilliant marketing strategy by video card manufacturers though, to sell two cards per system instead of one.

Overrated would be if someone was to tell you it would double the performance.
It doesn't.

Just have no illusions about what it is.
One thing is, that it's NOT an economical choice ;) But what about gaming pcs are, it's not like they ever increase in value.

30%, even at cost. Is huge.
But this is presuming you are using the fastest cards, otherwise you're just doubling up to basically equal a single card that is probably cheaper.

While I don't recommend waiting to buy the 2nd card, for the end-result cost being over a newer generation single card (whatever that may be) it doesn't mean you have to listen to me either. :p My economics are different. While you'd pay more in the long run, getting the 2nd card when the price drops would be cheaper than buying a new card then, and alleviate the hassle of selling the old one. At least, that's one way to look at it.

sailer

Splendid
You just love my ASUS problems don't you, they did repair the M/B by the way, but I haven't put it back in service, its sitting on the shelf. :roll:

ASUS problems? What ASUS problems? I just sent off my ASUS for a third RMA in a year. Glad I have a spare computer. I have words for ASUS, but I usually don't use them in public. Thinking hard about DFI for the next build.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
You just love my ASUS problems don't you, they did repair the M/B by the way, but I haven't put it back in service, its sitting on the shelf. :roll:

ASUS problems? What ASUS problems? I just sent off my ASUS for a third RMA in a year. Glad I have a spare computer. I have words for ASUS, but I usually don't use them in public. Thinking hard about DFI for the next build.

man you and 4ryan are makin me nervous :lol:

Plummer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
I'd say that the only time that SLI makes sense is either:
-as an upgrade. Buy the best single card you can now, then another later on as an upgrade
-or, if your needs or budget is in excess of the best card on the market.