I have a friend who is asking me for Shadows of Undrentide expansion, just
to install it on his computer to see how it runs so he can buy it, if he
wants to. My question is, if he should copy it (behind my back) and use the
cd key that came with the game, can he use it to play on internet if I have
registered it and use it to play on internet myself? I have registered the
cd key, so can I simply give it to him without worrying about him doing
something with it?

'Microsoft' toilet paper wrote:
> I have a friend who is asking me for Shadows of Undrentide expansion, just
> to install it on his computer to see how it runs so he can buy it, if he
> wants to. My question is, if he should copy it (behind my back) and use the
> cd key that came with the game, can he use it to play on internet if I have
> registered it and use it to play on internet myself? I have registered the
> cd key, so can I simply give it to him without worrying about him doing
> something with it?

If you're not both online at the same time, yes. If one of you is
online, and the other attempts to log on, the second will be rejected.
It is possible the key could also be flagged as stolen; but, I don't
know how Bioware/Atari handles that situation.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

"'Microsoft' toilet paper" <microsoftyy@givememoney.com> wrote in message
> I have a friend who is asking me for Shadows of Undrentide expansion, just
> to install it on his computer to see how it runs so he can buy it, if he
> wants to. My question is, if he should copy it (behind my back) and use
the
> cd key that came with the game, can he use it to play on internet if I
have
> registered it and use it to play on internet myself? I have registered the
> cd key, so can I simply give it to him without worrying about him doing
> something with it?

..... and this guys a friend?
If you can't trust him not to make an illegal copy - don't lend it to him.
His use of your CD key (if he did) can prevent you playing. You certainly
can't play at the same time.

Colin E

"Colin E" <colin@c-elliott.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:<412a7a05$0$31781$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk>...
> "'Microsoft' toilet paper" <microsoftyy@givememoney.com> wrote in message
> > I have a friend who is asking me for Shadows of Undrentide expansion, just
> > to install it on his computer to see how it runs so he can buy it, if he
> > wants to. My question is, if he should copy it (behind my back) and use
> the
> > cd key that came with the game, can he use it to play on internet if I
> have
> > registered it and use it to play on internet myself? I have registered the
> > cd key, so can I simply give it to him without worrying about him doing
> > something with it?
>
> .... and this guys a friend?
> If you can't trust him not to make an illegal copy - don't lend it to him.
> His use of your CD key (if he did) can prevent you playing. You certainly
> can't play at the same time.
>
> Colin E

I second that - if you don't trust him with your CD key, don't give it
to him. Is there any reason he can't visit you and play for an hour
or two to get the feel of it?

He wants to see how it runs? It runs like the original NWN. It's
only an expansion pack not a completely different game.

As others have said, if you're concerned then don't do it.

Cheers

Some dude calling himself, "'Microsoft' toilet paper"
<microsoftyy@givememoney.com> wrote:

>I have a friend who is asking me for Shadows of Undrentide expansion, just
>to install it on his computer to see how it runs so he can buy it, if he
>wants to. My question is, if he should copy it (behind my back) and use the
>cd key that came with the game, can he use it to play on internet if I have
>registered it and use it to play on internet myself? I have registered the
>cd key, so can I simply give it to him without worrying about him doing
>something with it?

Turns out that he planned to make a copy all along! So I gave him the disc
and told him to find his own cd key (he found one on the internet). He did
want to play online...but I told him that if he 'really' wanted to play
online, he could stop making illegal copy's and buy the damn game! Can you
even buy it on its own anymore? (I bought mine together with original as a
pack)... Thanks for all those who replied!