Sign in with
Your question

Recommend card upgrade for Dell Dimension 8400

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 20, 2007 2:07:57 AM

Hi

I’m just after a bit of advice when it comes to upgrading my graphics card.

I currently have a Dell Dimension 8400 with a RADEON 128MB X800GT and I’m just wondering recommendations anyone has for a suitable replacement card? Baring in mind power use, space etc; and do all new graphics cards now have their own power supply/lead?

I’m just looking at about the £100 mark for the price give or take a £10 or so.

I have been a bit lazy in keeping up with hardware changes over the past few years and now when I have come back into it upgrades the graphic companies have gone and changed all the naming/numbering of their cards; I assume adding XT, Pro and GTs to the names is supposed to make it harder for a user to compare like for like between the two main competitors. I should have kept reading the mags.

Thanks for any help.
January 20, 2007 4:28:20 AM

Well a abundant series of DX10 cards are soon to come around the corner. It might cost you more to upgrade your entire system to get ready for it. My advice would be to try and sell the Dell, and use some of your cash and the money you get from selling the Dell and consider building a brand new computer underneath a Intel Core 2 Duo series.
January 20, 2007 11:43:30 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I am planning to buy a new system later in the year; after Vista has settled down and there are more affordable DirectX 10 cards around.

The plan is to buy a new system and give the current one to my son. Therefore I just wanted something to give my system an inexpensive boost in the meantime, and also I did not want to give my son a totally antiquated system when the time comes.

The Radeon X1300 Pro 256MB, Radeon X1600 XT 256MB and Radeon X1900 GT 256MB cards where recommended compatible with the system. I’m just wondering if there are any better cards at about the same price which are also compatible.
!