What would you do with these 3 HDD

jeffon

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I have 2 250GB SATA Hitachi deskstars HDD's and one 500GB SATA Hitachi deskstar HDD. How would you configure your system? One giant array?

Thanks

-Jeffon

eRazor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
I've had some trouble with disk crashes lately (5 year and one month old Maxtor 250GB's) so I'd be inclined to set up the 250's as a RAID 1 (mirrored set) as the boot drive and leave the 500 as a data disk. I really hate losing my boot partition. I have so many utilities and applications that I use almost daily that it takes me a full day to get the system up where it's usable. After that I spend a week figuring out piece by piece what's missing (as I run into them).

But then again, you really only have 4 choices.

1) run each drive as standalone
2) run the 250's in RAID 0 (striped 500GB) and the 500 standalone
3) run the 250's in RAID 1 (mirrored 250GB) and the 500 standalone
4) run a (there's a number for it, but it's not really RAID) JBOD configuration with all 3 drives (1TB).

I wouldn't even consider 4. One bad byte and you lose everything.

If you really need performance and space, then 2 is a good option, but you have no redundancy and risk losing stuff without good backups.

If you don't need the space, but want data redundancy, then 3 is the way to go. If one drive fails, you have the other to rebuild the array from.

Now, if it were me, I'd find a way to get another one of those 250's and run those three in a RAID 5 configuration (Striped with shared parity). You get the best of both worlds there. Speed from the striping and redundancy from the parity.

jeffon

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
If I stripe the two 250GB drives and use the 500GB drive as a standalone for storage and backup then...

- I run Norton Ghost and could store an image of each virtual drive. This would allow me easy recovery from a failure. Any flaw in my logic?

The only issue then would be how big a C partition to make for Windows. Hmm.. how bloated can Windows possibly get?

-Jeffon

jt001

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
Assuming you're running Windows, you could just set Windows backup/Norton to backup however much you feel necessary. I have it do a weekly backup of the boot files, and a daily backup of documents. RAID alone is still no substite for backups(file systems can still go screwy with raid, files get accidentally deleted etc) Anyway, put a 4GB partition at the beginning of the disk for the pagefile(that part has the best seek times so it's best suited for a pagefile), whatever you think you'll need for the Windows partition add 20GB or so to be safe, partition the rest for stroage.