Processing of logon script in GPO on a TS

Perhaps someone can clarify this for me:

I have a GPO which only contains a logon script (User Configuration /
Windows Settings / Scripts / Logon). I have the following:
Name: logon.js
Parameter: (empty)
This processes fine on all workstations in the domain.

Due to 3rd-party applications, I had to change the logon to the following:
Name: cscript.exe
Parameter: logon.js
This works fine on all workstations.

My problem begins when Users logon to a terminal session. With the original
setting for the logon script, everything worked fine. Users log on the logon
script runs. Since changing the logon GPO to have the parameter being my
logon script, the logon script doesn't run anymore. I found out that in a
terminal session, it doesn't know where the parameter "logon.js" is. I
receive a File not Found error.

Can someone please explain this to me. Any help would be appreciated.

William P.

William-
Where is that .js file being stored?

--
Darren Mar-Elia
MS-MVP-Windows Management

"William P" <WilliamP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Perhaps someone can clarify this for me:
>
> I have a GPO which only contains a logon script (User Configuration /
> Windows Settings / Scripts / Logon). I have the following:
> Name: logon.js
> Parameter: (empty)
> This processes fine on all workstations in the domain.
>
> Due to 3rd-party applications, I had to change the logon to the following:
> Name: cscript.exe
> Parameter: logon.js
> This works fine on all workstations.
>
> My problem begins when Users logon to a terminal session. With the
> original
> setting for the logon script, everything worked fine. Users log on the
> logon
> script runs. Since changing the logon GPO to have the parameter being my
> logon script, the logon script doesn't run anymore. I found out that in a
> terminal session, it doesn't know where the parameter "logon.js" is. I
> receive a File not Found error.
>
> Can someone please explain this to me. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> William P.

The logon.js is stored in \\<domain>\sysvol\<domain>\Policies\{GPO
GUID}\User\Scripts\Logon. It belongs to a GPO which only contains this logon
script.

I have another GPO for Terminal Servers which sets the user environment. It
has no conflict with the LOGON setting of the other policy. I have loopback
processing mode enabled on my TS GPO with Mode: Replace.

As I mentioned, all I changed was the Name and Parametrer settings in the
GPO which contains the logon script and now it doesn't work.

william p.

"Darren Mar-Elia" wrote:

> William-
> Where is that .js file being stored?
>
> --
> Darren Mar-Elia
> MS-MVP-Windows Management
> http://www.gpoguy.com
>

> "William P" <WilliamP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Perhaps someone can clarify this for me:
> >
> > I have a GPO which only contains a logon script (User Configuration /
> > Windows Settings / Scripts / Logon). I have the following:
> > Name: logon.js
> > Parameter: (empty)
> > This processes fine on all workstations in the domain.
> >
> > Due to 3rd-party applications, I had to change the logon to the following:
> > Name: cscript.exe
> > Parameter: logon.js
> > This works fine on all workstations.
> >
> > My problem begins when Users logon to a terminal session. With the
> > original
> > setting for the logon script, everything worked fine. Users log on the
> > logon
> > script runs. Since changing the logon GPO to have the parameter being my
> > logon script, the logon script doesn't run anymore. I found out that in a
> > terminal session, it doesn't know where the parameter "logon.js" is. I
> > receive a File not Found error.
> >
> > Can someone please explain this to me. Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > William P.

You will need to provide the full path to the logon.js file
(\\domain\sysvol\domain\policies\guid...). AD assumes that the file
referenced in the Name field is in the appropriate Scripts folder in the GPO
object (although cscript.exe works because it is in the system path) but
makes no such assumption about the Parameters field - cscript is looking in
its current working directory, which would either be C:\Windows or the
user's home folder.

"William P" <WilliamP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Perhaps someone can clarify this for me:
>
> I have a GPO which only contains a logon script (User Configuration /
> Windows Settings / Scripts / Logon). I have the following:
> Name: logon.js
> Parameter: (empty)
> This processes fine on all workstations in the domain.
>
> Due to 3rd-party applications, I had to change the logon to the following:
> Name: cscript.exe
> Parameter: logon.js
> This works fine on all workstations.
>
> My problem begins when Users logon to a terminal session. With the
> original
> setting for the logon script, everything worked fine. Users log on the
> logon
> script runs. Since changing the logon GPO to have the parameter being my
> logon script, the logon script doesn't run anymore. I found out that in a
> terminal session, it doesn't know where the parameter "logon.js" is. I
> receive a File not Found error.
>
> Can someone please explain this to me. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> William P.

Thanks Mike,

But then how do you explain the fact that when a user logs onto his
workstation, the logon script is run. In this case, the logon file referenced
in the Parameter filed is found. This is what perplexes me.
Normal workstations works fine, TS sessions not!

william p.