Blocking Messenger [XP SP2 ADM]

Hi,

Ok, it is possible to block the Windows messenger but what if you install
MSN Messenger 6.2 ??? apparently you can still use it.

Anyone an idea ??

Thx

Olivier
2 answers Last reply
More about blocking messenger

    try this from KB article

    WORKAROUND
    To work around this issue, turn off the Messenger service. To do this,
    follow these steps:
    1. Click
    Start, and then click
    Control Panel (or point to
    Settings, and then click
    Control Panel).
    2. Double-click
    Administrative Tools.
    3. Double-click
    Services.
    4. Double-click
    Messenger.
    5. In the
    Startup type list, click
    Disabled.
    6. Click
    Stop, and then click
    OK.
    Note If the Messenger service is stopped, messages from the Alerter service
    (notifications from your antivirus software, for example) are not
    transmitted. If the Messenger service is turned off, any services that
    explicitly depend on the Messenger service do not start, and an error message
    is logged in the system event log. Therefore, Microsoft recommends that you
    install a firewall and configure it to block NetBIOS and RPC traffic instead
    of turning off the Messenger service.
    MORE INFORMATION
    The Messenger service uses UDP ports 135, 137, and 138; TCP ports 135, 139,
    and 445; and an ephemeral (that is, short-lived) port number greater than
    1024.
    Firewalls help prevent net send messages and help protect your computer
    from other malicious attacks over the Internet. These attacks can be designed
    to perform the following tasks:
    â–¡ Access your private information
    â–¡ Distribute software illegally by appropriating space on your hard disk
    For additional information about this issue, visit the following Microsoft
    Web site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/using/howto/communicate/version45/stopspam.asp
    â–¡ Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    â–¡ Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    â–¡ Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
    â–¡ Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
    â–¡ Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition
    â–¡ Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
    â–¡ Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
    â–¡ Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
    â–¡ Microsoft Windows Messenger 4.6
    â–¡ Microsoft Windows Messenger 4.7
    â–¡ Microsoft MSN Messenger 5.0
    â–¡ Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    â–¡ Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    â–¡ Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    â–¡ Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005
    Last Reviewed:
    8/5/2004 (7.2)

    This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
    The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
    not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of

    "Olivier César" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Ok, it is possible to block the Windows messenger but what if you install
    > MSN Messenger 6.2 ??? apparently you can still use it.
    >
    > Anyone an idea ??
    >
    > Thx
    >
    > Olivier

    In group policy under the "user configuration", in the "administrative
    templates" under "system" you con configure the "Don't run specified
    applications".

    *
    David Thompson [MSFT]
    Microsoft Server Setup Team

    Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
    Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
    See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

    NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
    others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
    more timely response. Thank you!

    This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
    The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
    not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
    Microsoft.
    **

Policy Messenger Microsoft MSN Messenger Windows XP Windows