HDTV quality recording devices

Hi everyone,

With the long-running reign of the VCR as a "quality" recording medium
coming to an end, the question I have is, "What's the next successor?"

Hard-Drive based PVRs?
Rewriteable DVDs?
Blue Ray?

Does anyone know what resolution the Hard-Drive based PVRs operate in?
Does it deliver a better resolution than DVD-based recorders?

I heard that the next Generation of blue laser DVD writers are coming
out this summer. Who are the manufacturers? And will they be recording at
HDTV resolutions?

Lastly, does anyone know if the government mandated 2006 switchover to
HDTV a firm date? I vaguely recalled that the US government tried to set a
previous date prior to that for the HDTV cut-off, but that evidently didn't
happen. Also, does this mandate cover Cable and Satellite providers as
well? Or did the government leave that out as a large, gaping loophole to
weasel out of HDTV?

Thanks!
10 answers Last reply
More about hdtv quality recording devices

    "Tex Murphy" <tex_murphypi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > With the long-running reign of the VCR as a "quality" recording medium
    > coming to an end, the question I have is, "What's the next successor?"
    >
    > Hard-Drive based PVRs?
    > Rewriteable DVDs?
    > Blue Ray?

    Digital PVR + either blue-ray or HD-DVD for permanence - standard DVD's
    don't hold enough bits and aren't good for time-shifting anyway.

    > Does anyone know what resolution the Hard-Drive based PVRs operate in?
    > Does it deliver a better resolution than DVD-based recorders?

    Depends on the DVR - virtually all today are SDTV only, as are DVD
    recorders.
    but a very few extremely expensive DVR's (mainly ones for satellite tv) can
    do HDTV in 720P or 1080i.
    there is currently NO DVD recorder that can do HD.

    That said, I have not tried recording a windows media 9 encoded HD file on a
    DVD - it should work for short HD videos but it would only be playable on
    the PC.

    > I heard that the next Generation of blue laser DVD writers are coming
    > out this summer. Who are the manufacturers? And will they be recording
    at
    > HDTV resolutions?

    Bit of a problem - two non-compatible standards - Blue-Ray and HD-DVD.
    Both can do HD but which one will win?

    > Lastly, does anyone know if the government mandated 2006 switchover to
    > HDTV a firm date? I vaguely recalled that the US government tried to set
    > previous date prior to that for the HDTV cut-off, but that evidently
    didn't
    > happen. Also, does this mandate cover Cable and Satellite providers as
    > well? Or did the government leave that out as a large, gaping loophole to
    > weasel out of HDTV?

    weasels in government!?!?!?!?! surely you jest

    The 2006 turn-off date is based on 85% of TV's receiving digital signals -
    we are no where near that, nor will we be by 2006. More like 2010 or later.
    But Powell has discussed using cable and satellite connections in the
    count - if so, then 2006/07 might be a reality.

    Thanks for the info, Randy.

    I'm doubtful that the 85% rule will ever be achieved - unless TV
    manufacturers stop producing analog SDTVs altogether, and even then, it may
    take about five to ten years after that for people to swap them out...

    I just read of a petition at http://iwantmyhdtv.com to ask congress to add
    the satellite provider count into the 85%, but I doubt it will make any
    difference - unless there is some sort of HDTV special interest group with
    tons of ca$h!

    Again, thanks for the info!

    "Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > "Tex Murphy" <tex_murphypi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi everyone,
    > >
    > > With the long-running reign of the VCR as a "quality" recording
    medium
    > > coming to an end, the question I have is, "What's the next successor?"
    > >
    > > Hard-Drive based PVRs?
    > > Rewriteable DVDs?
    > > Blue Ray?
    >
    > Digital PVR + either blue-ray or HD-DVD for permanence - standard DVD's
    > don't hold enough bits and aren't good for time-shifting anyway.
    >

    > > Does anyone know what resolution the Hard-Drive based PVRs operate
    in?
    > > Does it deliver a better resolution than DVD-based recorders?
    >
    > Depends on the DVR - virtually all today are SDTV only, as are DVD
    > recorders.
    > but a very few extremely expensive DVR's (mainly ones for satellite tv)
    can
    > do HDTV in 720P or 1080i.
    > there is currently NO DVD recorder that can do HD.
    >
    > That said, I have not tried recording a windows media 9 encoded HD file on
    > DVD - it should work for short HD videos but it would only be playable on
    > the PC.
    >
    > > I heard that the next Generation of blue laser DVD writers are
    coming
    > > out this summer. Who are the manufacturers? And will they be recording
    > at
    > > HDTV resolutions?
    >
    > Bit of a problem - two non-compatible standards - Blue-Ray and HD-DVD.
    > Both can do HD but which one will win?
    >
    > > Lastly, does anyone know if the government mandated 2006 switchover
    > > HDTV a firm date? I vaguely recalled that the US government tried to
    set
    > > previous date prior to that for the HDTV cut-off, but that evidently
    > didn't
    > > happen. Also, does this mandate cover Cable and Satellite providers as
    > > well? Or did the government leave that out as a large, gaping loophole
    > > weasel out of HDTV?
    >
    > weasels in government!?!?!?!?! surely you jest
    >
    > The 2006 turn-off date is based on 85% of TV's receiving digital signals -
    > we are no where near that, nor will we be by 2006. More like 2010 or
    later.
    > But Powell has discussed using cable and satellite connections in the
    > count - if so, then 2006/07 might be a reality.

    I have a Hipix PC-based recorder for off-the-air HDTV recording, works
    perfectly.

    I've heard that DVICO is introducing a FusionHD model like mine, but
    designed for Cable [QAM] HDTV recording. I think it's being held up by some
    stupid issue, though.
    Dave

    > Thanks for the info, Randy.
    >
    > I'm doubtful that the 85% rule will ever be achieved - unless TV
    > manufacturers stop producing analog SDTVs altogether, and even then, it
    may
    > take about five to ten years after that for people to swap them out...
    >
    > I just read of a petition at http://iwantmyhdtv.com to ask congress to add
    > the satellite provider count into the 85%, but I doubt it will make any
    > difference - unless there is some sort of HDTV special interest group with
    > tons of ca$h!
    >
    > Again, thanks for the info!

    I believe that there is already a regulation stating that all TV's must
    include ATSC tuners.

    It transitions in by screen size... big screen rules hit this year I
    believe.

    I just bought a Mitsu D-VHS recorder on eBay for a couple hundred bucks to
    bridge the gap until they decide on which format to use for recording HD on
    DVD. I figured that this was cheaper than buying and configuring another PC
    just to do HD recording. Lets just hope that it doesn't end up being like
    Beta vs. VHS again, with Sony against the world.

    Phil

    "David" <davey3@home.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > didn't
    > > > happen. Also, does this mandate cover Cable and Satellite providers
    as
    > > > well? Or did the government leave that out as a large, gaping
    loophole
    > > > weasel out of HDTV?
    > >
    > > weasels in government!?!?!?!?! surely you jest
    > >
    > > The 2006 turn-off date is based on 85% of TV's receiving digital
    signals -
    > > we are no where near that, nor will we be by 2006. More like 2010 or
    > later.
    > > But Powell has discussed using cable and satellite connections in the
    > > count - if so, then 2006/07 might be a reality.

    > Lastly, does anyone know if the government mandated 2006 switchover to
    > HDTV a firm date? I vaguely recalled that the US government tried to set a
    > previous date prior to that for the HDTV cut-off, but that evidently didn't

    There has never been a mandate to switch over to HDTV.

    Jeff B

    >> Does anyone know what resolution the Hard-Drive based PVRs operate in?
    >>Does it deliver a better resolution than DVD-based recorders?
    >

    > Depends on the DVR - virtually all today are SDTV only, as are DVD
    > recorders.
    > but a very few extremely expensive DVR's (mainly ones for satellite tv) can
    > do HDTV in 720P or 1080i.

    Any PC can serve as a HDTV PVR and function at full 1920x1080 resolution,
    and be built very cheaply, and record many hours for time shifting.
    Of course they are good only for OTA, not satellite or cable,
    but that isn't a huge restriction considering 90% of HDTV
    progs are OTA.

    Jeff B

    > Any PC can serve as a HDTV PVR and function at full 1920x1080 resolution,
    > and be built very cheaply, and record many hours for time shifting.
    > Of course they are good only for OTA, not satellite or cable,
    > but that isn't a huge restriction considering 90% of HDTV
    > progs are OTA.

    You need a fast computer for time shifting, you have to codec an HDTV
    signal at the same time, that a lot of data.

    Anyone tried this HD tuner+pvr?

    http://www.tvauthority.com/HDTV-Tuners/Zenith-HDR230.asp

    > You need a fast computer for time shifting, you have to codec an HDTV
    > signal at the same time, that a lot of data.

    Any pentium 4, even the oldest ones, are plenty fast enough. I know cause
    I have a cheap computer dedicated to recording HDTV OTA, works perfectly.
    Even an average P3 is fast enough.

    > Anyone tried this HD tuner+pvr?
    >
    > http://www.tvauthority.com/HDTV-Tuners/Zenith-HDR230.asp

    I wouldn't touch this one cause no DVI output. Especially at that
    price!

    Jeff B

    Jeff B. wrote:
    > Any pentium 4, even the oldest ones, are plenty fast enough. I know cause
    > I have a cheap computer dedicated to recording HDTV OTA, works perfectly.
    > Even an average P3 is fast enough.

    Jeff, I was going to build a computer PVR a few months back but
    decided against it because I read all the existing capture boards were
    not reliable. It seems like when you add up the cost of building a
    DVR computer you are looking at a cost about equivalant to a dedicated
    tuner/PVR like the Zenith, which IMO is not cheap. FYI I have nobox
    cable for SD and OTA for HD. I'd rather have a computer for the added
    functionality e.g. surf the web, download movies, burn DVDs, listen to
    MP3s etc.

    For your PVR computer:

    What tuner/capture card are you using and do you use their included
    PVR software?

    Is it reliable?

    Is it easy to program (can my wife do it)?

    When you add up the cost how does it compare to the Zenith?

    Thanks Steve

HDTV Hard Drives Devices Home Theatre