updating GPO templates using MMC after XP SP2 install has ..

Hello,

I've done this at several other sites with no problem, however at a
another site this morning after I installed XP SP2 and tried loading
the XPSP2 GPO templates to the Default Domain Policy via MMC on the XP
SP2 workstation, the changes (Windows Firewall) do not appear in the
Group Policy Management console. Anyone seen this behavior before?

Thanks,

Ryan Rothert
ryan@ rothert. com

Im assuming that you are aware that you have to view them from the XP SP2
machine from then on.
Do you actually see the updated adm files in the
sysvol\sysvol\domainname\policies ?

You can try manually copying these files into place and see if they are
changed back or if you receive an error message.

--
James Brandt [MSFT]

"Ryan Rothert" <rcrothert@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've done this at several other sites with no problem, however at a
> another site this morning after I installed XP SP2 and tried loading
> the XPSP2 GPO templates to the Default Domain Policy via MMC on the XP
> SP2 workstation, the changes (Windows Firewall) do not appear in the
> Group Policy Management console. Anyone seen this behavior before?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ryan Rothert
> ryan@ rothert. com

jjp

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

Ryan,
We have the same problem. We have 6 policies under Group Policy Objects.
After installing XP SP2 and viewing each policy from that XP SP2
workstation, the updated adm's and their additional options (ie. Windows
Firewall) show up for 5 of the 6 policies. The policy that does update is
the Default Domain Policy.

We have not tried copying up the files manually, though it appears from our
research, we should not have to do this.

Have you found a solution yet?
Jeff

<jabrandt@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Im assuming that you are aware that you have to view them from the XP SP2
> machine from then on.
> Do you actually see the updated adm files in the
> sysvol\sysvol\domainname\policies ?
>
> You can try manually copying these files into place and see if they are
> changed back or if you receive an error message.
>
> --
> James Brandt [MSFT]
>

> "Ryan Rothert" <rcrothert@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've done this at several other sites with no problem, however at a
>> another site this morning after I installed XP SP2 and tried loading
>> the XPSP2 GPO templates to the Default Domain Policy via MMC on the XP
>> SP2 workstation, the changes (Windows Firewall) do not appear in the
>> Group Policy Management console. Anyone seen this behavior before?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ryan Rothert
>> ryan@ rothert. com

jjp

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

We have had some success now. Using Group Policy Status in the replmon tool
we found which folder was the Default Domain Policy. We noticed the
timestamp on the adm files in this folder were 7/27/04. On my XP SP2
machine the adm files had a timestamp of 7/17/04. We figure the adm files
for the Default Domain Policy were not getting updated because these older
adm files had a newer timestamp the the XP SP2 files (dont ask me how).

So we uploaded them manually:
Make a backup copy of your Default Domain Policy adm files
Copy your XP SP2 adm files (located in %windir%\inf) to a temp folder on the
dc
Open Group Policy mgmt
Right click Default Domain Policy
Edit
Right click Administrative templates
Add the new templates you want from that temp folder

Jeff