Installing applications

I want a group of supervisors to be able to install applications on our AD
computers. Currenlty, only Domain Admins and Local Administrators have this
ability.

How can I set a group to install applications without adding them to the
Local Admininstrators groups of all my systems?

Brantley Allen
System Administrator
Pounds Photographic Labs

Marco

Hi

if you do not mind spending a few bucks you could try our NeoExec/AD a go
and, for example, create a new path rule for a specific directory where the
files are to installed from. NeoExec/AD allows you to elevate the privs on a
per-application (or path) basis and does not require a second user account
like RunAs -- it changes the privielges on the fly.

A 30-day trial version of NeoExec/AD can be downloaded from our web site.

Feel free to contact me by email if you need further info: marc -- that
strange symbol - neovalens.com.

Hope it helps,

--
Marco [ www.neovalens.com ]
--

"news.birch.net" <brantley@pounds-tx.com> wrote in message
> I want a group of supervisors to be able to install applications on our AD
> computers. Currenlty, only Domain Admins and Local Administrators have
this
> ability.
>
> How can I set a group to install applications without adding them to the
> Local Admininstrators groups of all my systems?
>
> Brantley Allen
> System Administrator
> Pounds Photographic Labs

Hi Brantley,

Thank you for posting here!

Based on my experience, during the installation of some application, it
needs full access the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and system folders
(e.g. C:\Windows and its subfolders). However, such registry key and
folders are only READ for normal Users.

You may create a group, and grant full permission to full access the
registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and system folders. This can help
installing most applications. Even this, some application still need Local
Administrator permission, like Windows Update.

On the other hand, you can use Group Policy to deploy applicaitons. For
detailed information, you may visit the article below in Microsoft
Knowledge base:

321713 HOW TO: Use Group Policy to Set Automatic Installation Options Based
on
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=321713

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| I want a group of supervisors to be able to install applications on our
AD
| computers. Currenlty, only Domain Admins and Local Administrators have
this
| ability.
|
| How can I set a group to install applications without adding them to the
| Local Admininstrators groups of all my systems?
|
| Brantley Allen
| System Administrator
| Pounds Photographic Labs

ok, thanks.

Brantley

"Feng Mao" <fengmao@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Brantley,
>
> Thank you for posting here!
>
> Based on my experience, during the installation of some application, it
> needs full access the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and system folders
> (e.g. C:\Windows and its subfolders). However, such registry key and
> folders are only READ for normal Users.
>
> You may create a group, and grant full permission to full access the
> registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and system folders. This can help
> installing most applications. Even this, some application still need Local
> Administrator permission, like Windows Update.
>
> On the other hand, you can use Group Policy to deploy applicaitons. For
> detailed information, you may visit the article below in Microsoft
> Knowledge base:
>
> 321713 HOW TO: Use Group Policy to Set Automatic Installation Options
> Based
> on
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=321713
>
> Have a nice day!
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
> Microsoft Online Partner Support

> | I want a group of supervisors to be able to install applications on our
> AD
> | computers. Currenlty, only Domain Admins and Local Administrators have
> this
> | ability.
> |
> | How can I set a group to install applications without adding them to the
> | Local Admininstrators groups of all my systems?
> |
> | Brantley Allen
> | System Administrator
> | Pounds Photographic Labs

circa Fri, 03 Sep 2004 02:08:48 GMT, in
microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy, Feng Mao
(fengmao@online.microsoft.com) said,
> Hi Brantley,
>
> Thank you for posting here!
>
> Based on my experience, during the installation of some application, it
> needs full access the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and system folders
> (e.g. C:\Windows and its subfolders). However, such registry key and
> folders are only READ for normal Users.
>
> You may create a group, and grant full permission to full access the
> registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and system folders. This can help
> installing most applications. Even this, some application still need Local
> Administrator permission, like Windows Update.
>
> On the other hand, you can use Group Policy to deploy applicaitons. For
> detailed information, you may visit the article below in Microsoft
> Knowledge base:
>
> 321713 HOW TO: Use Group Policy to Set Automatic Installation Options Based
> on
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=321713
>
> Have a nice day!
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
> Microsoft Online Partner Support

Additionally, take a look at the Application Compatibility Toolkit,
which is generally a safer way to go than simply granting users full
control permissions to HKLM. The ACT is a sorely underrated and
under-publicized set of tools, IMO.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/download
s/appkit.mspx

or