Basic password question

I have one domain with user both internal and external. Can I make password
policies effect just internal users using a group of users under the security
filtering ? Or does it automatically assign the policy to all machines in the
domain ?

It seems strange to me that password policies are at the computer level and
not at the user level. If a user logs on to any PC they should have to change
their password right ?

Will this password change effect the domain admins password ?

Password policies are a computer setting so that domain controllers have a
defined "template" for allowed passwords. In essence you are setting the
limitations on what the DC will accept as a password, not what the user can
request as their password.
Policies do efffect admin passwords but the default admin account cannot be
locked out.

--
James Brandt [MSFT]

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 11:53:04 -0700, "stchase" <stchase@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have one domain with user both internal and external. Can I make password
>policies effect just internal users using a group of users under the security
>filtering ? Or does it automatically assign the policy to all machines in the
>domain ?
>
>It seems strange to me that password policies are at the computer level and
>not at the user level. If a user logs on to any PC they should have to change
>their password right ?
>
>Will this password change effect the domain admins password ?

Password policy is domain wide.

I don't understand the rest of your question.

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

I think I found the answer to most of my questions. I really just need to
know if I set a password policy, can I set it to just a group of users using
the security filtering or will it overlook that filter and asign the policy
to every user on the domain ?