Win XP SP2 .adm templates to Win2K SP4 Server

Hello,
I have a network with 120 PCs and all of them is Windows
XP but my server is Windows 2000 Server SP4...
I am trying to add XP SP2 .adm templates to my server's
Group Policies but when I try to open GP I receive an
error message like;
" The following entry in the [strings] section is too long
and has been truncated ..."

I do not want to open .adm file(s) with notepad and
truncate many entries in [strings] section...

Is there an easier way to do it? or is it not possible to
do anything except for my notepad solution?

Thanx in advance...

CET wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a network with 120 PCs and all of them is Windows
> XP but my server is Windows 2000 Server SP4...
> I am trying to add XP SP2 .adm templates to my server's
> Group Policies but when I try to open GP I receive an
> error message like;
> " The following entry in the [strings] section is too long
> and has been truncated ..."
>
> I do not want to open .adm file(s) with notepad and
> truncate many entries in [strings] section...
>
> Is there an easier way to do it? or is it not possible to
> do anything except for my notepad solution?
>
> Thanx in advance...

Hi

"The following entry in the [strings] section is too long and has
been truncated" error message when you try to modify or to view
GPOs in Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000

More info here:

From: Mark Williams [MSFT] (markwill@online.microsoft.com)
Subject: Important information about XP SP2 .ADM Files
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=%233iFY5jfEHA.596%40TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl

From: Mark Williams [MSFT] (markwill@online.microsoft.com)
Subject: XP SP2 ADM File-Related Fixes Available From PSS
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=utTaMLwfEHA.2592%40tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl

From: Mark Williams [MSFT] (markwill@online.microsoft.com)
Subject: XP SP2 Version of Group Policy Reference Spreadsheet available
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=%23bTLC%23jfEHA.3676%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl

Known issues with the client administrative tools in Windows XP SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870703

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Thank you for posting this information - its useful.

However, KB article 870703 (last item in your post) does not appear to
exist - leastwise, if I try to open it I get told there is no such article.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP

It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.

Bruce Sanderson wrote:

> Thank you for posting this information - its useful.
>
> However, KB article 870703 (last item in your post) does not appear to
> exist - leastwise, if I try to open it I get told there is no such article.

Hmm, it worked before, so I guess Microsoft have removed it then...

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: