Computer renaming error

I have a problem with renaming some computers. We are operating on Windows
XP and Exchange 2003. And - please remember if you can help me, think of
yourself as trying to explain the US Constitution to a kindergardener and
that is about where I am in experience with networking. We have about 150
computers divided into three domains. I have been given the task of
changing the names of about 10 computers, all on the same domin as my
computer. I am an administrator (if that makes a difference). When I try
to change the computer names only half of them changed. On the others, I
got an error message that went something like this:

"Multiple connections to a server or shared resources by the same user,
using more then one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous
connections to the server or shared resource and try again."

Now - I don't have a clue what this means? HELPppppppp!

Thank you in adance. You'll help me really impress my boss.

Please take this question to the windowsxp.network_web newsgroup.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"MS Newsgroups" <LorrieWhite@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>I have a problem with renaming some computers. We are operating on Windows
>XP and Exchange 2003. And - please remember if you can help me, think of
>yourself as trying to explain the US Constitution to a kindergardener and
>that is about where I am in experience with networking. We have about
>150 computers divided into three domains. I have been given the task of
>changing the names of about 10 computers, all on the same domin as my
>computer. I am an administrator (if that makes a difference). When I try
>to change the computer names only half of them changed. On the others, I
>got an error message that went something like this:
>
> "Multiple connections to a server or shared resources by the same user,
> using more then one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous
> connections to the server or shared resource and try again."
>
> Now - I don't have a clue what this means? HELPppppppp!
>
> Thank you in adance. You'll help me really impress my boss.

TRENDING THREADS