• Nvidia
  • Games
  • Resolution
  • Processors
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 20, 2007 7:16:45 AM

Hi guys i have a x1800 gto and i wanted to upgrade the card , what card should i go for my processor is an amd 3000 + which i am going to be upgrading to a 4600 dual core

i have a 17inch high resolution monitor i want to game at 1600 x 1200 resolution with most details set to high in Company of Heroes and other games i play mostly strategy or racing games like TOCA etc

cheers

More about : suggest upgrade

January 21, 2007 3:54:07 AM

All kinds of people on this forum giving advice ...but not one around when u really need good advice .

all kinds of useless crap
January 21, 2007 4:31:27 AM

umm, well, do you want a new card because you aren't getting good frame rates? or you just feel a need to upgrade, because i think all you really need is a cpu upgrade, like the one you suggested.

Anyway, let me warn you of what will come. People will suggest a c2d upgrade, and you'll pretty much need to build a new system.
Related resources
January 21, 2007 4:37:45 AM

hmm so do you think that i can get better juice out of my x1800 gto just by an cpu upgrade

i basically feel the card is slow by about 15-20 fps on high settings and i dont mean fear or oblivion i am talking about games like COmpany of heroes and

Supreme commander is what i really want to be playing with good frame rates at some what high details
January 21, 2007 8:05:03 AM

Get an FX-57 and grab a 7900 GTX on eBay. Multi-core won't go into full swing until 2008 so you should be good with that, since it is THE fastest single core around at 2.8GHz - Fast as a FX60 in most all games. I've seen the GTX under 200 and they're smoking fast cards, or a X1950 XT if you want FSAA and HDR, but it's really too slow in this generation on either so it's really brand preference. Me personally I've had holy hell with ATi cards, but never have problems with nVidia. Either card should be more than you will need for a year or two.
January 21, 2007 9:59:30 AM

could you suggest me a online shop which would carry the 7900 gtx for 200 dollars or a bit more ..i am not so cool about ebay
January 21, 2007 10:46:06 AM

Quote:
could you suggest me a online shop which would carry the 7900 gtx for 200 dollars or a bit more ..i am not so cool about ebay

Personally, I use Newegg for just about most everything. www.newegg.com

Several other sites you could use, I'm sure others will suggest their favorites.
January 21, 2007 11:32:58 AM

Quote:
i basically feel the card is slow by about 15-20 fps on high settings in coh, supreme com.

What is your fps in this games?
If it is above 60fps (most of the time), then I personally don't see a need for any upgrade,
but (the infamous but :)  ) if your were to upgrade CPU to the 4600 dual that was mentioned, I would expect to see some form of higher fps (may or may not be as much as you 'need').

Haven't played Supreme com, but I can play COH on 1280x1024 max settings (single player) witth an FPS over 45/50 - most of the time :) 
January 21, 2007 7:39:19 PM

yes i believe the cpu upgrade will suffice. What i'd suggest you do is find a cpu from.. newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com . great deals. and later in the future get a video card upgrade.
January 23, 2007 3:15:38 AM

hmm okay so should i get like a 4600 , 4800 dual processor or should i go spend real money and get a fx-57 processor

would that be suffice till say another year
January 23, 2007 3:25:31 AM

a year? depends on what you do. if you plan on playing say Crysis. i can almost promise you it won't at least not on higher settings, that game struggles with C2D's and 8800's.
January 23, 2007 3:26:39 AM

Quote:
All kinds of people on this forum giving advice ...but not one around when u really need good advice .

#1 Use punctuation.

#2 Don't be a jerk.

k, bubye now!
January 23, 2007 3:58:34 AM

No i am not a big fps player :)  , i am basically going to be using it for playing supreme commander and strategy games C&C

plus i am going to get a new vcard in a few months maybe a r 600 or something :twisted:
January 23, 2007 4:00:39 AM

i would look into more of hardware (more and faster RAM CPU) then an awesome graphics card, those games are very CPU/RAM dependent usually more so then graphically
January 23, 2007 4:30:28 AM

I am sorry m8 but that is just crap advice ..Supreme commander not being graphically intensive ..are u kidding

medieval 2 not intensive, it brings 8800gtx sli to its knees where at the same res u can play BF and Fear over 100 frames

please do not give riff raff advice
January 23, 2007 5:18:43 AM

in a comparrison i dont GIVE A RATS *SS how nice they look, i've played the stupid sega 2 game. i have one 8800GTX and it doesnt bring it 2 its knees it brings my processor and Ram to its knee's and i have a nice system, it works the **** out of it. dont come to these forums to be a dickhead as the previous guy stated. Generalizations and your rudeness is only going to get you what you give. so stfu and dont be a dick. or leave
January 23, 2007 5:20:10 AM

dont come here with Stranger under your post's and expect to be the coolest guy in town. in the words of carlos mencia. dee dee deeeeeeee
January 23, 2007 6:01:31 AM

hmm ual3312 ..man just leave okay its my post and ure advice is pure crap to say the least why dont u just Stfu :lol:  .

get a life or join the army or something man ..i dont want ure useless advice get a frigging hint

as for your 8800 gtx go shove it where the sun dont shine . So f off :evil: 

go buy some ram and a better cpu , you are giving me advice and running a system that cant pull its weight :roll:
January 23, 2007 6:25:37 AM

ah yes. Core 2 Duo E6600 at 3.4 GHz 2 Gigabytes of PC6400 from Corsair and an eVGA 680i, sure cant pull its weight can it. shows that you talk without knowing what your talking about. in other words (your language) you just pulled that out your arse. they are a CPU/RAM bottleneck. my processor runs faster then any Stock processor you can buy my 8800 is also Overclocked, if i overclock my 8800GTX more, do my frames go up? no. not at all actually, however when i go down to 3.2GHz on the CPU with the ram following to the slower speed. i lose 5-7FPS average. what does that say????????? hmmm, ill let you figure this one out. its almost as easy as 2+2.
January 23, 2007 7:38:49 AM

Hey uAl3312 whatever your uber Not system is going to be able to pull its weight when crysis comes around ,

cause i aint even interested in yours ystem or what u done to it , as for pulling its weight , i am pretty sure it aint gonna be able to specifically since its already struggling in real game bench marks .

I am discussing to build a system with brains , cause it takes hard work to make money , and what are u like 10 :lol: 

i am pretty sure once u put your system to performance to money index you will realise or maybe not with your limited intellect :lol: 

and by the way what resolution do you game at with your system cause only way to limit your graphic card with whatever processor is to run at low resolutions like 1600 x 1200
January 23, 2007 11:12:33 AM

i run 1280x1024. so my GPU has no issue running. like i said before and ill say again. the game is more bottlenecked at the system then the GPU as for brains, money, hard work, etc. to be honest im 15. and have more IQ then you. your insults can't match a 156 IQ :wink: . but they can match your IQ, id put it in the 70-120 range, 120 might push it a little. but don't worry, alot of people are in that range. not many of us are invited to John Hopkins and graduate highschool to be able to get into any University we so choose. you can be angry at me all you want. but i have the system that will show limits in that game, with an 8800. that limit is more so of a CPU/RAM issue then an 8800 issue. (btw. i also game with 16xAA and HDR when its available)
January 23, 2007 11:28:01 AM

even if it does struggle however. ill just toss a new CPU in it :)  maybe some faster RAM if its called for. and i may buy the 8900 etc. when they are released. i will however pray for your AMD. that it pulls you through and you can play your RTS games without issue. >.> not really. go burn in hell for the rest of eternity dumb****
January 23, 2007 11:57:11 AM

Not to be fastidious or anything but sholdnt that be: 'I have a higher IQ than you'

As for the subject at hand, try the X1950XT, its a reasonably priced card and performs well enough on oblivion r6:vegas and the like. If you dislike ati you could try the nV 7950GT.
There isn't really much point plugging for an 8800 because 1. You won't get the most out of it. 2. R600 will cause a price drop in 8800. Even though 75% of all pc games in the pipe are DX10. None exist now, and afaik crysis is out sometime in sept, by which point 8800GTS will be like £150 or the dollah equivelant.
a b Î Nvidia
January 23, 2007 11:59:09 AM

Settle down please, UAL, we can see he doesn't know his subject [yet]. None of us did at one point, so let's just give him the chance to learn.
a b Î Nvidia
January 23, 2007 12:28:43 PM

At this point, I'd go for the processor upgrade now. Wait another month or 2 for ATI's new cards to come out, and then rethink your upgrade for the video card.
January 23, 2007 12:57:04 PM

>shouldn't that be 'I have a higher IQ than you'

Given that IQ is "Intelligence Quotient", I think you can technically say "I have more IQ than you". It just sounds wrong somehow :) 
January 23, 2007 1:01:13 PM

Wait for more DX10 cards. By March things will look much better.
January 23, 2007 1:09:55 PM

Have to agree with a couple posters here. Your card should get you by for the short wait til new cards come. Spend the $ on a cpu upgrade. When the r600s come and the nvidia cards get a refresh you'll have many choices, all of which should last into the forseeable future.
January 23, 2007 8:48:44 PM

Quote:
Not to be fastidious or anything but sholdnt that be: 'I have a higher IQ than you'

As for the subject at hand, try the X1950XT, its a reasonably priced card and performs well enough on oblivion r6:vegas and the like. If you dislike ati you could try the nV 7950GT.
There isn't really much point plugging for an 8800 because 1. You won't get the most out of it. 2. R600 will cause a price drop in 8800. Even though 75% of all pc games in the pipe are DX10. None exist now, and afaik crysis is out sometime in sept, by which point 8800GTS will be like £150 or the dollah equivelant.

lol yeah sory, typed that one at around 2 AM. brain wasn't functioning 100% somewhat of an E6600 at 3.4GHz with not enough Vcore :roll: :wink: . its just offensive when someone asks for help and they call your reply a worthless load of crap. along with saying all the other members on this forum talk about crap and when he needs help theres no one. i replied and he try's to give me a Hot Karl, i'm not gonna let it happen. just got home from school though and i have to be at work in an hour.
January 23, 2007 9:00:55 PM

By the way m8(as you like to call me). i Play Microsoft FSX this game puts more stress on a system then any of your RTS games will in the near future. i can overclock my 8800 as MUCH as i like. it doesnt improve my frame rates. Going from 2.4 to 3.4 GHz on the CPU is what increases my performance. any of the current high end (7950/x1900) will play next to anything at max settings with a reasonable framerate at 1600x1200. it is Modern CPU's RAM etc. that lack in performance. four or eight cores isnt going to fix that either unless every developer has the sudden urge to make EVERYTHING multi threaded.
January 23, 2007 11:43:55 PM

yea, i'd definately go for the fx-57 if i had the money. how much are you going to get it for?
January 24, 2007 2:26:31 AM

First of all thanks to everyone for replying :) 

well i saw the fx-57 listed for about 300 odd dollars on pricewatch.com

after reading the thoughts expressed by the more experienced users i have come to the following conclusion

That I should definatly wait till the r600 is released before getting a new graphics card.

As for t he processor i was reading that you can easily over clock the athlon 64 3000 venice.

I just have to get some better ram as my generic make is absolutely crap.

I have decided to do this because i feel there is no point spending money at this stage as anything i buy would be redundant by the end of the year.

and on a personal note to my dear m8 :lol:  Ual3312 let me clear a few things , firstly a high end graphic board like yours needs at least a gaming resolution of 1600x1200 with everything on before you even start to push the core.

Dont take my word for it just go read any review done on the 8800 , 1280 x 1024 res is wasting that card . I have a x1800 gto and i tend to keep a resolution of 1600 x 1200 of course with most thing medium or low :roll:

As for my IQ i am a practicing lawyer with a firm, doing fairly well for myself.

Honestly though i think we started of on the wrong foot so let me start by saying i apologize for any rude remarks and thanks for your advice

also i have made a note of the going to hell bit :lol: 
January 24, 2007 2:36:33 AM

okay truce, im also sory for the way i acted towards you, but next time dont start calling people names etc. because they gave you advice. nor put down their comments unless you REALLY know what your talking about. asking for advice and then yelling at the person who gives it isn't a good way to go about things. as for the resolution i run at. i spent 3500 on this PC. i also bought a new monitor (had a worthless CRT) its a 19 inch Viewsonic, i agree it doesnt stress the card. but my friend brought over his 22 inch Dell and we had a good time with that. so as long as you not going to run around screaming at the people trying to help you anymore or put down other members of this forum by saying everything they discuss is crap because you didn't get a reply to your topic. its all good. 8)
January 24, 2007 2:46:49 AM

awesome, i wish you the best with the 3000+. i had a blast with my 3700 venice and OC'd with ease.
January 24, 2007 4:27:53 AM

Quote:

Actually this is a remarkable observation .. all experienced users here are all shy when it comes to any generic advice .. but once a trivia topic pops out .. you'll find them all there .. this is really annoying ..I've been tracking this forum for a long time .. really long ..and it's getting worse by the time .

not to mention other kind of useless craps and personal debates .. every body is trying to prove that he is cleverer and smarter .. and the discussion often goes way out of the technical and/or professional nature .

If you can't keep up doing serious work here then don't ever come .. don't come here to have fun or make some laughs .. you're here only to give advice ..to help people ..a little entertainment is required of course .. but at the present time .. this has gone way out of order .

Hope every thing will become the way it was .
January 24, 2007 5:24:15 AM

Well what i have observed is the fact that people are giving very inflexible advice

and most people just plainly say save the money buy a new rig

i mean there is a difference in spending 1500 dollars for a new rig and 400 on a Graphic card

i mean if wanted to buy a new system wouldnt i just post it !!

i am never giving anyone dumb ass advice like no you shouldnt do that like an upgrade just get a new system

i mean some standard advice on this forum is like 8800 gtx then x6800

processor its like as if the other line of processors dosent exsist. I mean i agree that ideally a 8800 should be matched with the fastest processor but

that is the obvious you dont have to get advice to know that , what you want to know is specific to your requirements.

We dont live in a ideal world if it was so sure get me a quad processor system sli 8800 , 1000 watt power supply ,

a pair of 30 inch dell lcds , 4 gb of ram etc etc you know what i am saying

:evil:  like yeah easy to advice but please keep it practical :) 
a b Î Nvidia
January 24, 2007 5:54:53 AM

Quote:

If you can't keep up doing serious work here then don't ever come .. don't come here to have fun or make some laughs .. you're here only to give advice ..to help people ..a little entertainment is required of course .. but at the present time .. this has gone way out of order .

Hope every thing will become the way it was .

Look ya' Prig, if you think the role of the fourm is only to be tech support then you don't know 'the way it was'. The forum has always been a combination of people looking for info, people here to share info, people here to brag about their new hardware, people trying to figure out their new hardware, as well as the laughs, only recently (since the big change) do people think this place is a clearing house for repetitive questions with little advanced groundwork on their own part.

Saying "you're here only to give adivce" misses the point of a forum, and from the advice you've given, you're not one to judge either. And once again you don't know how it 'was' with that attitude.

Quote:
Well what i have observed is the fact that people are giving very inflexible advice

And you're pretty demanding for a question asked on the weekend, then get sucked into phamily and Hamy's self-hating world and then think everyone wants you to have a monster rig. Seriously, read more post before you come to that conclusion, because you're obviously missing alot of them. But realize, sometimes the upsell is also the better value, like a GF7900GS or X1950Pro.

As for getting help people chose to help in the threads that interest them or where they can help, or in my case thereads they think deserve it after seeing them. I didn't bother with this one because I was out all Saturday, and then Sunday when I read this I couldn't care less what you wanted after post number 2. I don't bother helping much anymore because of posts like yours.

When I signed up here, after years of just reading, I posted a question that was never was answered, so I found out for myself. It would've been nice to be quickly given the answer but I didn't blame the forum or the people, for not fullfilling it's/their 'duty'.
Seriously if you don't like the forum or how it functions on it's own, then there's other places to be, and you can always try google and edjucate yourselves, if that's possible. :roll:
Slash I'm sure as a lawyer should should be used to research by now.

G'night and, hopefully, GoodBye !!
January 24, 2007 6:11:55 AM

The Great ape look here this is my observation , means my personal point of view with which you dont have to agree with but also you dont have the right to criticize it.

As for wanting advice from a Ape like you :lol:  thank you for not giving it because reading your reply i can very well imagine what it would have been.

As for getting my own answers , i usually do i just like an insight on a few thoughts i might have.

nobody is forcing you to reply and most importantly nobody gives a s*** so if you dont want to reply dont thats your prerogative. :tongue:

Also what i get from you is that came here wanted an answer and didnt get it , so you didnt blame the people

well neither am i all i am saying is that some of the advice here is just sub-standard crap,

too many apes running around :lol: 
a b Î Nvidia
January 24, 2007 2:40:26 PM

Quote:
The Great ape look here this is my observation , means my personal point of view with which you dont have to agree with but also you dont have the right to criticize it.

Sure I have the right to criticize it. WTF do you think this is the help desk at DELL, ya DumbA$$ !?!

Quote:
nobody is forcing you to reply and most importantly nobody gives a s*** so if you dont want to reply dont thats your prerogative. :tongue:

Ditto, you whiney simp. BooHoo where is everyone to answer my questions?? :roll:

Quote:
well neither am i all i am saying is that some of the advice here is just sub-standard crap,

Like I said, you don't like it, then blow. The reason alot of people don't bother is because of people like you. Waste of time for people who wouldn't helpp anyone else whether online or in the real world! What's it you do again, oh yes, lawyer, probably personal injury ambulance-chaser based on your personality. :roll:

Quote:
too many apes running around :lol: 

Yeah whereas slappers like you lie around hoping everyone else will do it for them, and then bitching about it. You spent more time bitching about it than trying to find the info yourself.

Two resources for you in the future: www.google.com and 1-800-ASK-DELL
January 24, 2007 4:44:15 PM

Quote:
hmm okay so should i get like a 4600 , 4800 dual processor or should i go spend real money and get a fx-57 processor

would that be suffice till say another year

If you want dual core (or have a need for dual core), I would suggest a 939 (I'm assuming your running a 939 socket from your mention of venice) 4400 X2 (if you can find them),
or an 939 Opteron 165 (look around for clearance deals, bargin bins, etc.) and overclock whatever cpu you get :) 

Which motherboard are you using? (If I've missed this info in previous posts, I apologise)

edit: If you want any help on overclocking your venice and/or x1800, pm me :) 

link for (upto) x1800/1900 overclock tool: http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/
!