recurring appointment malfunction workaround?

April 16, 2005 8:41:28 AM

Many people know the problem: changing a recurring appointment changes
past appointments and deletes all exceptions and notes. So this
function is totally useless to me and others. I need to keep past
appointments and notes. The recurring function should be one of the
great advantages compared to a paper planner. (My old palm and palm
desktop handled this very well.)

I have tried WS:RAII, but it didn´t run on my system (OLXP without
MSOffice).

Will another PIM - combination (now I use OL and POL) solve the
problem?

What are your workarounds?

PS: I have posted to microsoft.public.pocketpc and
microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 9:46:23 AM

Thanks, but I´m sorry, I tried both: same problem as pocket outlook.

The following is copied from another thread:

(Please test this for me:

-create a new weekly series, e.g. every tuesday, let it repeat 20
times.
-delete a single appointment in the middle of the series
-make a note to another single appointment
- try to change your series to wednesday in the future (e.g. in may)

If you decide to change the whole series, your past appointments will
change to wednesday, your deleted appointment will came back and your
note will be gone.
You have to change every single instance in the future if you want to
keep your history.
Outlook will warn you, but there is no workaround.
I´d be glad to see any solution to this problem. )
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 11:22:24 AM

Yeah, that´s the way I´m doing know, but I hope to find a better way
with much fewer clicks. Think of the single steps to do so. It has been
so easy with the palm, just one click.
Your suggestion seems to be the only way, if you wanna use recurrence.

Is it possible to write a kind of makro for making exceptions that
1. asks if you wanna just change the single ocurrance or the single and
all future ocurrances
2. stops the original series one instance before the exception
3. creates a single appointment with changes (the exception itself)
4. makes a new recurring appointment beginning with the next step of
the original series either with or without the changes of the exception
depending what you have choosen before

Thank You
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 4:55:57 PM

Works in Pocket Informant for me. Another alternative is Agenda Fusion,
both offer free trials and use your current diary data and should not
affect it if you decide against the programs. PI also has a pdf manual
for download- have a quick read through it before starting the trial or
you may not see/try all of the features before the trial is up.
PI is a 4 week trial, AF is 2 weeks, some people prefer one, some
prefer the other. I'm trialling both at the moment (new versions are
out) and there seems little to choose between them in reality (from my
perspective at least). Same prices too.

http://www.pocketinformant.com/
http://www.developerone.com/

"filter5" <filter5@web.de> wrote in message
Many people know the problem: changing a recurring appointment changes
past appointments and deletes all exceptions and notes. So this
function is totally useless to me and others. I need to keep past
appointments and notes. The recurring function should be one of the
great advantages compared to a paper planner. (My old palm and palm
desktop handled this very well.)

I have tried WS:RAII, but it didn´t run on my system (OLXP without
MSOffice).

Will another PIM - combination (now I use OL and POL) solve the
problem?

What are your workarounds?

PS: I have posted to microsoft.public.pocketpc and
microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 7:33:25 PM

Hi,

Could you cut de recurrence short and start a new recurrence after that.
Unless off course you've made note in your appointments in the future!

Regards

Thanks, but I´m sorry, I tried both: same problem as pocket outlook.

The following is copied from another thread:

(Please test this for me:

-create a new weekly series, e.g. every tuesday, let it repeat 20
times.
-delete a single appointment in the middle of the series
-make a note to another single appointment
- try to change your series to wednesday in the future (e.g. in may)

If you decide to change the whole series, your past appointments will
change to wednesday, your deleted appointment will came back and your
note will be gone.
You have to change every single instance in the future if you want to
keep your history.
Outlook will warn you, but there is no workaround.
I´d be glad to see any solution to this problem. )
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 11:54:22 PM

Have you tried making the changes with Outlook (on the PC) and synching
with that?

If desktop outlook can't do it then there is little chance of a cutdown
program doing it. Dont forget synch directions in as.

[...]

April 18, 2005 6:22:49 AM

Desktop Outlook has the limitation, too.
I know there are a lot of people struggling with this problem.

What is your solution?
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 4:23:44 AM

There is a workaround (if not a stupid one!) I switched from Palm to
PPC. So now whenever I have changes to future items from my repeats, I
sync it first to my Palm (which I still keep only for this...) and then
make the modification with my Palm then resync it again to my outlook
and sync yet again back to the Pocket PC - and it works!! sad...
> | Desktop Outlook has the limitation, too.
> | I know there are a lot of people struggling with this problem.
> |
> | What is your solution?
> |

> From last post:
> If desktop outlook can't do it then there is little chance of a
cutdown
> program (i.e pocket outlook) doing it.
>
> It seems there isn't a solution. It seems you need to change your
expectations, the way you work, or find some work around that suits
your personal needs.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 6:37:36 AM

Thank you, that is a funny solution. MS tries to copy these great palm
pdas and you still have to use your old palm to overcome the outlook
limitations. It´s a shame.

Don´t you get into trouble with the rest of your PIM-data, categories,
notes ... ?
Is it possible to sync the calendar or even recurring appointments
only?
Will this work with palm desktop without the palm (I want to sell it)?

Are there other progs like lotus notes/organizer that might be better
suited for this action?

MS should know what we have to do to get by their bugs (or was it a
feature?).

>alan smith wrote:
> It seems there isn't a solution. It seems you need to change your
>expectations, the way you work, or find some work around that suits
>your personal needs

Thanks again!
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 12:51:27 PM

I think so, but I haven't tried it extensively... the integration
between Palm and Outlook seemed quite good... As for the using the Palm
desktop instead of the pda, I have yet to find out how because if I
decide to sync my Palm data with outlook instead of the Palm desktop,
the desktop cannot be executed (I think it's either one or the
other...)

Let us know if you ever come across a better solution!!
!