Help! Gamer Down: Nvidia590SLi or 975x????!!!

woof

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
hey,

i need to buy a new mobo, and im not sure which one.. i read thru Toms mobo&ram reviews and else where, but the only comparison available is between a 680i Sli chipset and a 975x..

so far this is how i have made up my mind.. im going for ASUS ONLY..and i know that 975x (asus p5wdh) is better when considering expenditure, so i have left the 680iSli out, and considered a 590Sli as it is has similar features that of the 680iSLI..

so how would the 590sli be in performance when comparing it to the 975x??

intel has place the 975x in the performance segment, and nvidia has also given the ethusiast/performance segment to the 590Sli..

and to make things even harder for me! :( .. the 975x only supports crossfire and cannot support dual nvidia graphic cards, and the nvidia chipset has more advaced features than that of the 975x,.. but unfortunately this is the place where im stuck.. as i dont prefer ATi because i like Nvidia when considering performance to price ratio.. nvidia is again the winner for both performance and cost.. im planing to get an asus 7600GT/2dht/256m (my highest budget for a vga), but for the same price of the 7600gt an Ati is nothing when comapred in the Tom's recent VGA Charts, and the ones from Ati that match up to the 7600gt is way too expensive..

im much need of help and would appreciate it if you could help me come to a decission.. (Gamer Down.. :()

woof

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
hey,

does that mean that i could run dual nvidia graphic cards on the crossfire(only ) enabled chipset 975x, as in dual,meaning like SLi??

if it is possible.. what would the difference be that of a sli cerified and not sli certified chipset?

thanks, i did do a bit of research but to be honest i dont understand half of what it says, :p

thanks again,

woof

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
the 975x is on the competition segment with the 680i and is cheaper also, and better than the 590i.. so im going for the Asus P5WDH Deluxe, and im not planing on sli yet.. so im quite alright with this.. but u mentioned that you can run 2 nvidia cards but not in sli.. what you mean by that? how does this work... and what would be the purpose of this.. to give combined power "like" an sli?

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
the 975x is on the competition segment with the 680i and is cheaper also, and better than the 590i.. so im going for the Asus P5WDH Deluxe, and im not planing on sli yet.. so im quite alright with this.. but u mentioned that you can run 2 nvidia cards but not in sli.. what you mean by that? how does this work... and what would be the purpose of this.. to give combined power "like" an sli?
No, the purpose in this case would be to run multiple monitors. With Intel chipsets you can run ATI brand cards in Crossfire mode (ATI's name for NVidia SLI). You can only run 2 NVidia cards in SLI mode for increased gaming speed when using a motherboard that has an NVidia chipset. IMO "SLI" regardless of brand is only useful for gamers on an almost unlimited budget. Focus on putting as much of your available $$$ into a single high quality videocard. By the time you have more money and are looking at running SLI, I guarantee you will do better by selling the one "old" card you have and buying a single (and much faster) new card.

woof

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
yea thats a good advice, i'll settle for a single better vga card since i doubt i really need dual performance at the moment. single card would be more than enough..

i know i keep going on about asking which board, but im not sure if the solution u guys gave me is considered with overclocking in mind or not..

i'd appreciate it if u guys could read this and help me out..

so far after reasearching.. i got to know that nvidia vga is better than ati's and cheaper too with cost to performnce ratio in mind, and that nvida's sli is mostly better than ati's crossfire.. so im definately settling down for an nvidia card.. what bothers me is the motherboard.. Nvidia has two chipset series, the series6 and series5, in the 6series the 680i has better features than the rest of the 6series, so i rather settle for the 680i but its expensive, so im not settling for that.. in the 5series the 590i is exactly the same as the 680i except for the chipset thats the only difference and is much cheaper than the 680i.. so i could go for this.. but the 975x is at the same price range as the 590i and according to u guys (i dont know if regarding to oc or not) that the 975x is better than the 590i.. and what really bothers me now is that the 975x only supports crossfire, and i may in the near future want to go for dual performance (so dont tell me to settle for one real good card please..) as mentioned above the sli is better than the crossfire.. so now i dont know which to settle for.. to make up my mind could you guys tell me which is better in performance-wise the 590i or the 975x and why.., "without" considering/regading overclocking in any way (ex: 590i is better at oc than 975x etc.) ..

i know im being a bit of a pain.. but i'd really appriciate it if u guys could help me out.. (im a damn newbie for god sake :p).. thanks :)

thanks

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Yeah, you're being a pain...

Look, just take a look at this NVidia 650i board. It does what you want.

Given that you are a gamer on budget, consider this board and put the savings into a faster videocard...

Asus P5N-E LGA775 nF650i SLI 2IDE ATX Conroe $140+0 1/19/07
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131142
Asus P5N-E Review 12/22/06
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2894

The 590i chipset performs well at stock speeds, but does not overclock well. Avoid it. There's a reason why it's cheaper...

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I guess it depend,

Nforce work out with SLI ( Nvidia card )
975X work out with Crossfire ( ATI card )

Performance are almost the same depend on what benchmark you looking at and what is your videocard you want. The best bet would be Nforce board for SLI setup for new DX10 card in the future but 975x may be good for the new ati incoming video card setup. But if you want to overclock i think 975x is better then Nforce chipset, ( not sure ).

woof

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
hey,

newf.. thanks for being honest, being a pain is part of being a newbie.. and i dont think u read what i wrote.. u keep telling me about the 650i.. i appriciate ur advice and help (honestly i do), but u arent answering my question..
the 650i maybe better in performance than the 590i and cheaper too.. but it is quite plain.. it doesnt have all the features i need.. only the 590i and 975x have what i want and is within my budget.. and the 590i for some reason everywhere costs more than the 650i..

so i'd appriciate it if u could answer this simple question..

"Without" considering/regading overclocking in any way - how would the "performance" be when comparing the 590i with the 975x?

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2631&p=9

I would say its the same performance, but again performance will come more from your Videocard. 975x for Ati card , Nforce 590 for Nvidia card. You can use a Nvidia card on a 975x but not SLi mode when adding an other. You can use a Ati card on a Nforce 590 but not Crossfire. It will depend on what videocard are you going to use ( for future upgrade SLI or Crossfire ).

woof

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
i understand, that the performance depends on the vga..
but im just asking which "chipset" has better performance, overall, games, etc.. in anything. The 975x or the 590i?
i just want to know which has better chipset performance

if it really matters, im going to use the nvidia geforce 7600gt vga card.. but please dont recomend me to go for the 590i, because i could sli in the future..

srgess

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Just check the benchmark:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2786&p=1
http://www.guru3d.com/article/content/366/

SLi 570 vs 590 Compared for SLi build

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=nf5sli&page=1

But again if you going for a SLi build go for 590. Google some review about those. And to be sure ex: take your 975x you have in head and check review and take the 590 to check review before buying. Because there is some old 975x and new do not perform the same. Same for 590.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
..."Without" considering/regading overclocking in any way - how would the "performance" be when comparing the 590i with the 975x?
You will NOT notice ANY difference in computer speed (at stock clocks) between using a 590i P5N32-SLI, a 975 P5WDH or a 650i P5N-E.