Username length

What is the maximum username length for a Windows 2000/XP user? I have read
that 128 characters is the max, 64 characters is the recommended max, and 20
characters is the max for NT 4.0 compatibility. Can anyone confirm? How do
I create a user with a username greater than 20 characters?

Hi,

14 is the max for NT4 compatibility. 127 is the AD limit. You can just key
in a long name in the AD Users & Computers dialog...

Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP
desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us

Http://www.briandesmond.com

"Long Username" <Long Username@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What is the maximum username length for a Windows 2000/XP user? I have
read
> that 128 characters is the max, 64 characters is the recommended max, and
20
> characters is the max for NT 4.0 compatibility. Can anyone confirm? How
do
> I create a user with a username greater than 20 characters?

Brian-
20 characters for the SamAccountName is the max for pre-Windows2000
compatibility. Here's a reference to it:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/default.asp?url=/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/distrib/dsbe_ext_vmon.asp

Note however, that ADUC won't let you enter 20 char. You would need to do
this programmatically or through ADSIEdit. So you can only create a user
name with more than 20 char. if you're not in Pre-Windows2000 compatibility
mode.

--
Darren Mar-Elia
MS-MVP-Windows Management

"Brian Desmond [MVP]" <desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> 14 is the max for NT4 compatibility. 127 is the AD limit. You can just key
> in a long name in the AD Users & Computers dialog...

> Brian Desmond
> Windows Server MVP
> desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us
>
> Http://www.briandesmond.com
>

> "Long Username" <Long Username@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> What is the maximum username length for a Windows 2000/XP user? I have
> read
>> that 128 characters is the max, 64 characters is the recommended max, and
> 20
>> characters is the max for NT 4.0 compatibility. Can anyone confirm? How
> do
>> I create a user with a username greater than 20 characters?

Thanks, Darren!