Sign in with
Your question

what is the BEST processor/mb combo under these conditions?

Last response: in CPUs
January 20, 2007 11:19:44 AM

Just curious what you would reccommend under these circumstances:
I want to upgrade my cpu/mb but I would like to keep the 4gb of crucial ddr1 that I currently have. I do a lot of work with large psd files and after effects -- so the amount of ram that I have is really crucial to keep me moving... Dont want to spend the $$$$ to upgrade my 4gb of ram to ddr2

what is the BEST processor/mb combo for graphics crunching under these conditions?
so far I was thinking of the amd fx-60 with an A8R32-MVP Deluxe.

Im not opposed to either amd or intel, I just want the most powerful solution keepin in mind I want to use my orignial ram.
January 20, 2007 12:21:13 PM

We don't know your previous configurtation, and we can't answer your question!
January 20, 2007 12:31:39 PM

Memebers,

Any thought on using Core 2 with DDR 1 boards? I am not sure myself if it is worth it, but I know someone in here could offer some unbiased information of whether or not he should hang with the memory and go with a Core 2 DDR1 solution or AMD 939 Opteron/64 dual core solution. Personally, I would go with the 939 route, but, that is because I am not sure if going Core 2 with DDR1 would be the best bet. I do know that 939 CPU's, especially opty's have been fairly inexpensive, but, if Core 2 performs the same on DDR1 and the board options are as good on those boards, then it might be the best route.

wes

edit: gojdo has a good point, post all current specs please.
Related resources
January 20, 2007 12:57:13 PM

I thought of the same thing, i can only find mobos with 2gb ddr1 support.
January 20, 2007 6:30:53 PM

If you can stretch to a FX-60 and A8R32-MVP Deluxe that will do you fine (and some). Core 2D isn't gonna be that much more powerful unles you upgrade to DDR2 which is muchos $$$.
January 20, 2007 7:26:03 PM

Quote:
I want to upgrade my cpu/mb but I would like to keep the 4gb of crucial ddr1 that I currently have. I do a lot of work with large psd files and after effects -- so the amount of ram that I have is really crucial to keep me moving... Dont want to spend the $$$$ to upgrade my 4gb of ram to ddr2

what is the BEST processor/mb combo for graphics crunching under these conditions?

Im not opposed to either amd or intel, I just want the most powerful solution keepin in mind I want to use my orignial ram.

The FX-60 is still a great chip, however, it's price/performance is actually too disappointing so even if I had the money, I'd feel a lot fooled to buy it. The best option for you is to get a good board and an Opteron 170 and overclock it at 2.6GHz (FX-60) or higher levels. That thing will OC beautifuly to that and should be around $200, while the FX-60 is still well above $400.
January 22, 2007 3:27:04 PM

Quote:

http://stores.tomshardware.com/search_getprod.php?maste...
that motherbord and any lga775 intel chip would do the job. i recomend the e4300 due to its 9x multipler. that asrock allows you to keep your old ddr1 ram but only 2 gigs of it, and use agp or pci-e. more info on that motherbord here.
http://forums.ocworkbench.com/bbs/f-asrock-intel-boards...
that setup and any good pci-e card would allow you to run any game at high setting at 1024x768, even at higher resolutions.
a c 473 à CPUs
January 22, 2007 6:24:39 PM

Quote:
Memebers,

Any thought on using Core 2 with DDR 1 boards? I am not sure myself if it is worth it, but I know someone in here could offer some unbiased information of whether or not he should hang with the memory and go with a Core 2 DDR1 solution or AMD 939 Opteron/64 dual core solution.

The only mobos with DDR1 support for Core 2 Duo are m-ATX and they only support 2 sticks of DDR1 RAM. I am doing some preliminary research for a new HTPC to replace my current HTPC some time in Q3 2007. Most, if not all, of these mobos are based off of the VIA P4M890 chipset which supports DDR1 and DDR2 RAM. One exception is the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA which is a full ATX mobo. The VIA chipset only supports single channel, not dual channel so there will be some performance loss in memory transfer speeds.

I am specifically looking at the ABIT IP-95 and based on several user reviews that I scoured all over the net, this mobo does allow for some pretty good overclocking; 3.1GHz - 3.4GHz. However, I believe that only happens when DDR2 RAM is paired up with the mobo.

The performance impact of using DDR1 vs DDR2 RAM is actually not that huge in games. But I don't know what the impact on applications will be. The following link is a review of the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA using DDR 333, 400 and DDR2 533, 667 RAM:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2810&p=6

As to which combination is better, Core 2 Duo with DDR1 or Athlon 64/Opteron with DDR1, it is hard to say. I can't find any confirmation regarding C2D & overclocking with DDR1 RAM. In lieu of this ambiguity, I will have to say that the Athlon 64/Opteron would be the better choice.
January 22, 2007 6:55:15 PM

Quote:
...I would like to keep the 4gb of crucial ddr1 that I currently have...
Critical question...IS IT DDR400 (PC3200) or is it something slower?
January 22, 2007 7:05:18 PM

There is several intel 865 boards out there that works with c2d (even tough OC c2d on them sucks) with 4x dimms and AGP
January 27, 2007 9:45:53 AM

sry for not specifying earlier -

I have 4 gb of ddr400 unbuffered / not registered

***hey i just found this board:
Asrock 775i65PE Motherboard
--any reviews of this anywhere?? it appears that I can matchup the latest 775cpu with my old ram? 8O
January 27, 2007 11:08:56 AM

Quote:
sry for not specifying earlier -

I have 4 gb of ddr400 unbuffered / not registered
OK, then you have 2 options:

Because Intel cpus use a northbridge memory controller, there are motherboards out there that can accept DDR400 ram AND a Conroe processor. As mentioned above, it appears that only 2 sticks of your ram will be used though as the mobos with VIA chipsets have only 2 DDR dimm slots. So while you can make this combination work it is not a optimal solution.
Don't even think about an Intel cpu that is other than a Conroe (Conroe is also called a Core2Duo). Older Intel chips are inferior to AMD, which brings me to option 2.

Because you need to keep your 4GB of DDR400, the best place for this would be in a socket 939 motherboard using and AMD X2 or Opteron.

Quote:

This will work. The issue is budget and availability. Socket 939 parts are getting more scarce by the day, and prices are not dropping. To sum it up I think you have this figured out pretty well already.
Newegg still has a good selection of Opterons and a few X2s as well as motherboards. Other vendors vary in both service and selection. I would recommend an nForce4 Ultra chipset motherboard unless you plan on using 2 ATI videocards in Crossfire mode.
!