Will this graphic card work on.....

inversion

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2002
My mobo?
Will the Asrock 775Dual-VSTA board run a EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS vid card? I know the board has a 16x PCIE slot, but its limited to 4X.
Would love to run this for now then update to an sli board later...
I am also running 2gb OCZ Gold DDRII PC6400, Intel core duo E6400 and 1-2 X-connect 500watt PSU's. (seperate water coolers for CPU and Graphics card)
Alo does anyone know of a great Water block for this vid card?
Thanks as always!
DaMorbid1

Mr_Bluntman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
The answer is NO. A buddy has a nForce 4 SLI board paired up with 2 GTS cards and it would start up, but the screen stays blank. To clear the air, it's not because of insufficent power, he bought a Thermaltake Toughpower 900W to use in this beast.

If you're not familiar with nForce 4 peculiarities, when using a single card you get a full 16 PCIe lanes at your disposal. Use two cards and it splits those lanes between them (2 x 8+8, or 1 x 16) since that chip only has a total of 20 lanes built into the PCIe logic.

I don't think you're going to have better luck trying to run it with a 4x slot. Besides one would think that it would be a bit of a bottleneck for I/O too IMHO. I'm pretty sure G80 needs a 16x slot to run properly. Look on other forums too, this problem is pretty well documented.

BTW make sure your PSU is up to snuff with dual 12V rails with plenty of amps. G80 guzzles power like soda pop on a hot summer day.

inversion

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2002
Can anyone tell me what would be the very best Graphics card to run on my 775dual-vsta board now then run on an sli board later?
Thanks for the help also, really informative, although I did do several searches for this motherboard and graphics card combo with no luck also.
I did see where they were having no luck running the 8800's in SLI.
I really would like to run a sweet card on this board for now (even though it wont be running the best) and then run a great system later with a new board.