Hide Mapped Drives from End Users

I work for a company running Windows 2000 SBS with an additional NT4
Server that houses a legacy database. All workstations run Windows XP
Professional. In order for the database to work properly, all users
must have drives F: and V: mapped to certain folders on the NT4
Server. A logon script on the 2K server automatically maps these
drives for users.

Employees has no reason to access anything on these drives manually,
and because NT4 is rather lacking in security, I want to prevent users
from seeing these 2 drives in My Computer and Windows Explorer. I did
some searching and found 2 recommendations:

-Use Group Policy to hide the drives
-Use TweakUI to hide the drives

Neither of these solutions appear relevant to my situation. The Group
Policy only allows you to hide specific drives (I think it was A-D).
TweakUI is user dependant, so if I hide the drives while logged in as
the admin, they still appear when a different user logs in. A user
with restricted permissions cannot access to necessary features of
TweakUI, so I cannot log in as the employee and hide it for them.

Do I have any other options?

Thanks,
Jen Ricklin

On 8 Sep 2004 07:33:01 -0700, jricklin@hotmail.com (Yeimi) wrote:

>I work for a company running Windows 2000 SBS with an additional NT4
>Server that houses a legacy database. All workstations run Windows XP
>Professional. In order for the database to work properly, all users
>must have drives F: and V: mapped to certain folders on the NT4
>Server. A logon script on the 2K server automatically maps these
>drives for users.
>
>Employees has no reason to access anything on these drives manually,
>and because NT4 is rather lacking in security, I want to prevent users
>from seeing these 2 drives in My Computer and Windows Explorer. I did
>some searching and found 2 recommendations:
>
>-Use Group Policy to hide the drives
>-Use TweakUI to hide the drives
>
>Neither of these solutions appear relevant to my situation. The Group
>Policy only allows you to hide specific drives (I think it was A-D).
>TweakUI is user dependant, so if I hide the drives while logged in as
>the admin, they still appear when a different user logs in. A user
>with restricted permissions cannot access to necessary features of
>TweakUI, so I cannot log in as the employee and hide it for them.
>
>Do I have any other options?
>
>Thanks,
>Jen Ricklin

See tip 3636 and 0050/NoDrive in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com