Outlook Express / Windows Messenger

February 11, 2005 10:05:51 AM

I had disabled Windows Messenger - I run MSN Messenger.

I applied the latest XP SP1 windows updates.

Now, it appears that I have reinstalled Windows Messenger and the icon
appears every time I open Outlook Express.

I have Messenger disabled in Services. I have Tools /Options /
Automatically sign on to Messenger unchecked in Outlook Express. I have the
options in Messenger set so that it does not run when Windows starts.

I am running XP Home.

Any help with preventing Windows Messenger trying to open when I open
Ooutlook Express appreciated.

Thank you.
February 11, 2005 10:05:52 AM

"NewsGroupQuestion" <NewsGroupQuestion@NewsGroupQuestion.com> wrote in message news:cuhlh0$qp3$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
>I had disabled Windows Messenger - I run MSN Messenger.
>
> I applied the latest XP SP1 windows updates.
>
> Now, it appears that I have reinstalled Windows Messenger and the icon
> appears every time I open Outlook Express.
>
> I have Messenger disabled in Services. I have Tools /Options /
> Automatically sign on to Messenger unchecked in Outlook Express. I have the
> options in Messenger set so that it does not run when Windows starts.
>
> I am running XP Home.
>
> Any help with preventing Windows Messenger trying to open when I open
> Ooutlook Express appreciated.
>
> Thank you.

Go here, and read what you want to accomplish, look under "Messenger", it seems you replace it when you installed SP1a, as it it is part of it;

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm

By the way, turning off Messenger is services is totally unrelated, just so you know, there are three Messengers that can be on your PC

-Windows Messenger (which is the one in question for you)

-MSN messenger, which is another separate version, not installed with the system itself.

-Messeneger Service; Transmits net send and Alerter service messages between clients and servers. This service is not related to Windows Messenger.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 2:42:54 PM

Open windows messenger and uncheck/untick everything.
Go to Add Remove Programs -- Windows Components -- uncheck/untick Windows
Messenger --
Next -- it may ask for a reboot.

"NewsGroupQuestion" <NewsGroupQuestion@NewsGroupQuestion.com> wrote in
message news:cuhlh0$qp3$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
|I had disabled Windows Messenger - I run MSN Messenger.
|
| I applied the latest XP SP1 windows updates.
|
| Now, it appears that I have reinstalled Windows Messenger and the icon
| appears every time I open Outlook Express.
|
| I have Messenger disabled in Services. I have Tools /Options /
| Automatically sign on to Messenger unchecked in Outlook Express. I have
the
| options in Messenger set so that it does not run when Windows starts.
|
| I am running XP Home.
|
| Any help with preventing Windows Messenger trying to open when I open
| Ooutlook Express appreciated.
|
| Thank you.
February 11, 2005 5:34:39 PM

NewsGroupQuestion wrote:

>I had disabled Windows Messenger - I run MSN Messenger.
>
>I applied the latest XP SP1 windows updates.
>
>Now, it appears that I have reinstalled Windows Messenger and the icon
>appears every time I open Outlook Express.

In OE - Tools - Options, uncheck 'Automatically logon to Windows
Messenger'
and in its View - Layout, uncheck 'Contacts' which uses Messenger to
support it

February 11, 2005 8:45:38 PM

Installed the "latest" SP1 ?? It's obsolete - SP2 is not only current, but
without it even newer updates cannot load.
Len.
"NewsGroupQuestion" <NewsGroupQuestion@NewsGroupQuestion.com> wrote in
message news:cuhlh0$qp3$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
>I had disabled Windows Messenger - I run MSN Messenger.
>
> I applied the latest XP SP1 windows updates.
>
> Now, it appears that I have reinstalled Windows Messenger and the icon
> appears every time I open Outlook Express.
>
> I have Messenger disabled in Services. I have Tools /Options /
> Automatically sign on to Messenger unchecked in Outlook Express. I have
> the
> options in Messenger set so that it does not run when Windows starts.
>
> I am running XP Home.
>
> Any help with preventing Windows Messenger trying to open when I open
> Ooutlook Express appreciated.
>
> Thank you.

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 9:39:56 PM

Thank you - solution from Alex did the job - thank you for other views also.
May 3, 2012 9:54:34 AM

When you open you outlook 2007 you receive an error message that your outlook has been crashed. The main reasons for crashes and deletion of file form an outlook 2007is virus attck , application failure , hardware failure , pst corruption and oversized PST file. Due to all these you receive an error message and not be able to open your outlook data.This is reaaly irritating situation. You need to perform an outlook 2007repair
!