Sign in with
Your question

MB Recommendation for OC With Vista & E4300?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 20, 2007 12:42:26 PM

We have 3 PC's (teenagers) and I've built a couple PC's before, I don't play games but do heavily multitask (rip DVD, play music, surf etc), and have never OC before :roll: . My PC is the best of 3, a Dell P4 530 with 1 GB DDR2 Dual Channel PC4300 and Windows XP but I'm bored :lol:  and want new Vista Business on new faster PC that I can OC and cascade Dell to kids & wife.

1) I've kinda settled on new Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 and want to order before word gets out and they sell out, my main problem is which MB?

2) I'm leaning toward Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (although would like eSATA) as great for OC, Windows based OC software, 4 DIMM slots for future 2 GB and support. But is this way overkill as E4300 is reportedly so easy to OC? (OK so I'd only save $26 dropping to S3 model).

3) Will Gigabyte's Easy-Tune OC (or other MB manufacturers) software work from within Vista?

4) I'm assuming OC with Vista is not a problem, true?

Thanks for your support.

More about : recommendation vista e4300

January 20, 2007 2:01:17 PM

1. The 4300 is a good choice if u want to OC
200 MHz FSB will make it able to overklock even on more "budget" mb

2. The gigabyte DS3 is an excelent MB for OC up to 500MHz FSB (thats 500*9 = 4500MHz => cant reach on your 4300 )

3. Yes (or most likly ether way an new version will will be availible if not)

4. As long as u test to have a stable OC then it will work yes - Just setting in on 3.5GHz and hoping for the best might not be the best way...
January 21, 2007 11:52:09 AM

Thanks kickbutt

Anyone have other rec on MB?

Is there any difference for me if I choose "budget" GA-965P-S3 ?
Related resources
January 22, 2007 5:23:39 PM

Only diffrence should be the all solid caps
Other then that its the same board - OC the same and same BIOS and stuff

ea for an heavy oc system (high heat/ volt/ speed) then the life spann will be higher.
For non solid caps then they start to get "bad" after some time and might leak. wich will in time lead to a foulty MB.
For normal use then the ~5y+ for normal caps is not a problem.

For an 24/7 high OC system then it might be down to 2-3y or so
(im no expert on this tough).
Then again for a more normal user with a moderate OC then the s3 might be "as good" but when the diffrence is like 10$ ...
I would go with the DS3
January 22, 2007 10:33:34 PM

Thanks kickbutt. DS3 it is then.

One last question, can I go with the GA-965G-DS3 with built in graphics (as I don't do games and could wait for card prices to drop) or will this limit the cards OC ability?
January 23, 2007 10:19:01 AM

I'm not sure about the internal graphics, but I can confirm its possible to overclock in VIsta easily, I've got Duel booting XP and Vista, and its working for me so far with my Athlon XP 2600+.
January 24, 2007 8:57:47 AM

8O For the love of computers everywhere! Dont go with the G965!!! Go to Newegg and read the probs people have had trying to overclock. It smells something awfull in that department 8O Oh and Gigabyte is releasing version 3.3 boards with revised circuitry at the end of this month. They will support 1333mhz fsb chips (333mhz FSB). Set that e4300 to 333 FSB and youve got a 3ghz machine :D 
January 24, 2007 2:00:49 PM

Quote:
8O For the love of computers everywhere! Dont go with the G965!!! Go to Newegg and read the probs people have had trying to overclock. It smells something awfull in that department 8O Oh and Gigabyte is releasing version 3.3 boards with revised circuitry at the end of this month. They will support 1333mhz fsb chips (333mhz FSB). Set that e4300 to 333 FSB and youve got a 3ghz machine :D 

I'm looking at it and I don't see much people getting problems overclocking, are you sure you got your info right Pax2all?
January 24, 2007 9:45:18 PM

Check again :p 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?Item...

BlueHog

Tech Level:somewhat high
Ownership:1 week to 1 month
1/11/2007 10:53:08 AM Good, Fast,Solid Board - but Not for OC'ing

Pros: This is a good, solid board that has turned out respectable 3DMark2006 scores (4782,5011). It is well laid out and works well with my cable management attempts.

Cons: This board can not be seen as a overclocking board. I have had difficulty gettig a FSB of 300 and it never has passed 319. I have tweaked my memory to run at 4-4-4-12, but decided to leave the CPU well enough alone.

Other Thoughts: This is an excellent board, but given the opportunity, I would get the P965 chipset so I could overclock my E6600.

jrmurphy33

Tech Level:high
Ownership:1 week to 1 month
1/16/2007 8:40:48 AM Good Board

Pros: Good Board, ensure that you kow the difference in the G and the P boards.The G board has onboard video and the P does not. This is not an OC'ing board. If you are wanting a good stable board and not worried about OC then this is a great board. If you want to OC then go with the P version.

Cons: no Firewire.

Other Thoughts: Also ensure that you get the correct memory for the intel 965 chipsets. Do not skimp on the memory it will make all the difference in the world.

Charlie

Tech Level:high
Ownership:1 month to 1 year
12/24/2006 1:13:05 PM Stable, Easy, but very limited OC

Pros: I have always liked Gigabyte's motherboards. Their colorful design is nice and makes installation a breeze while plugging in case cable. The onboard video is decent enough for non-gamers if you're looking to build a powerful system on a budget.

Cons: I had originally bought the E6400 along with this intending to overclock, knowing the potential and ease from other users. However, this is the 965G. The onboard video hinders this boards maximum FSB. Getting above 350 FSB is a real issue as of now. If you want to overclock buy the 965P version, which will not hold you back at all.

Other Thoughts: I rate this product a 5/5 still because it was my own fault for not doing enough research before hand. There is nothing wrong with it, it is very stable and does have very limited OC'ing abilities. As always Newegg got my goods here very quickly, especially during this busy holiday season.

:)  You can read the rest on your own. Im not bashing the board. Its stable and a good choice if your not looking to overclock. But it most definately is not what you want if you are looking to try and overclock. There are better boards for that. :wink:

here are some posts if youd like other opinions regarding my stand
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&t...

This is an excellent thread and Id encourage anyone looking at the 965G chipset and overclocking to read through it

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&t...

Even Gary Key had issues, but a couple people were able to get to a 350FSB. Unfortunately 300-325 seemed the norm. :?
January 25, 2007 1:29:54 AM

Thanks all ya'alls, OK so stay away from 965G, now I'll have to buy a video card for basic 2D, off topic so will look in other forum. Thanks for help.
January 25, 2007 7:49:54 AM

wow, thanks for the links pax2all. the anandtech forum one was a great read. good to know which MB to stay away from :D 
!