Folder redirection

Roberto

Distinguished
May 19, 2003

I used Group Policy to redirect "My Documents" to a user's
network folder. I used REGEDIT on the local XP client
computers to redirect "Favorites" to "My Documents." I
was hoping "Favorites" would move along with "My
Documents" to the respective network folder but it
didn't. If I log into the XP client machine using a local
account, "Favorites" is found in "My Documents" and works
correctly when using Internet Explorer. When I log into
the XP client computer as a domain user, "My Documents" is
mapped to the network folder but "Favorites" is found on
the local drive. What can I do to move "Favorites" to the
network folder?

Hi Roberto,

By default, folder redirection in group policy only applies to these
folders:
Application Data
Desktop
My Documents
Start Menu

In order to redirect the Favorites folder to the redirected My Documents
folder the user has to make a registry change to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders\Favorites

\\server\share\%username%\My Documents\Favorites

NOTE: You can create a custom ADM file that makes the change to their
profile or you can make a .vbs logon script that makes the change to the
user's profile at logon.

Once the registry change is in place you have to manually copy the files
from the user's local Favorites folder to the network location. Any future
Favorites that are added will be added to the remote location.

--
David Everett
Microsoft Corporation

"Roberto" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I used Group Policy to redirect "My Documents" to a user's
> network folder. I used REGEDIT on the local XP client
> computers to redirect "Favorites" to "My Documents." I
> was hoping "Favorites" would move along with "My
> Documents" to the respective network folder but it
> didn't. If I log into the XP client machine using a local
> account, "Favorites" is found in "My Documents" and works
> correctly when using Internet Explorer. When I log into
> the XP client computer as a domain user, "My Documents" is
> mapped to the network folder but "Favorites" is found on
> the local drive. What can I do to move "Favorites" to the
> network folder?

Roberto

Distinguished
May 19, 2003

David:

Thanks for the info. I tried the registry change for
Favorites but there were too many variables depending on
which domain user logs in. How would I make a vbs login
script to make the change.

Roberto

confers no rights.

>"Roberto" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> I used Group Policy to redirect "My Documents" to a
user's
>> network folder. I used REGEDIT on the local XP client
>> computers to redirect "Favorites" to "My Documents." I
>> was hoping "Favorites" would move along with "My
>> Documents" to the respective network folder but it
>> didn't. If I log into the XP client machine using a
local
>> account, "Favorites" is found in "My Documents" and
works
>> correctly when using Internet Explorer. When I log into
>> the XP client computer as a domain user, "My Documents"
is
>> mapped to the network folder but "Favorites" is found on
>> the local drive. What can I do to move "Favorites" to
the
>> network folder?
>

>.

TRENDING THREADS