Act as part of operating system

Joe

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to grant the "Act as part of the operating
system" right to a domain or local user on a Windows 2000 member
server?

This software "Business Objects", requires that the account have this
right and we are reluctant to give the consultant our Administrator
password. I created a local and domain account and granted them the
right in the Local Security Policy on the member server. However, the
Effective Policy Setting is grayed out which I think means that it is
being blocked by a domain policy.

I really didn't want to go messing with the Default Domain Policy, but
I will if that is the only option.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

What you could do is create an Organizational Unit with it's own GPO where that user
right is configured for that server and move that server into that OU. Then that
would be the effective user right for that server unless "no override is configured
on the domain GPO. Other policy settings would still be inherited by that server in
it's own OU. After you move the server into the OU and configure the GPO for that OU
run " secedit /refreshpolicy machine_policy /enforce " first on the domain controller
and then on your server and the policy should show as the effective setting. If not,
try rebooting the server. --- Steve

"Joe" <searchnewsgroups@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Does anyone know how to grant the "Act as part of the operating
> system" right to a domain or local user on a Windows 2000 member
> server?
>
> This software "Business Objects", requires that the account have this
> right and we are reluctant to give the consultant our Administrator
> password. I created a local and domain account and granted them the
> right in the Local Security Policy on the member server. However, the
> Effective Policy Setting is grayed out which I think means that it is
> being blocked by a domain policy.
>
> I really didn't want to go messing with the Default Domain Policy, but
> I will if that is the only option.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

Joe

Steve,

Thanks for your help, your suggestion worked perfectly.

Joe