AIANDAS

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2004

I am adding a user on my machine with a limited account access. However,
when I enter the account I noticed it has access to the 2nd hard disk in my
machine. How do I restrict access to those other drives for this limited
account?
Thanks!

Hi,

Set permissions on that drive or the folders on that drive.

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"AIANDAS" <Aiandas@Odysseia$.com> wrote in message
>I am adding a user on my machine with a limited account access. However,
>when I enter the account I noticed it has access to the 2nd hard disk in my
>machine. How do I restrict access to those other drives for this limited
>account?
> Thanks!

AIANDAS

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2004

Thank you, yours was the best answer!

> Hi,
>
> Set permissions on that drive or the folders on that drive.
>
> HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in
> Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "AIANDAS" <Aiandas@Odysseia$.com> wrote in message
>>I am adding a user on my machine with a limited account access. However,
>>when I enter the account I noticed it has access to the 2nd hard disk in
>>my machine. How do I restrict access to those other drives for this
>>limited account?
>> Thanks!

That 2nd HD needs to be in NTFS format as FAT32 has NO access control
mechanisms...
And when it's NTFS, you have to disable "Everyone" access to that disk. In
XPpro, RClick on the 2nd HD in Explorer, coose "Sharing and security" etc...
I don't have XPhome, so can't say how to do it there..

Or you can always encrypt everything on that disk....(3rd party program, as
XP cannot do it on FAT32 (I think))

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"AIANDAS" <Aiandas@Odysseia$.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> I am adding a user on my machine with a limited account access. However,
> when I enter the account I noticed it has access to the 2nd hard disk in
my
> machine. How do I restrict access to those other drives for this limited
> account?
> Thanks!

AIANDAS

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2004

I used this method and it works like a charm. But what I would also like to
do is HIDE the existence of those drives. Is there a way to do this? I have
a pesky girlfriend who likes to play snoop-dogg which I hate!

> Hi,
>
> Set permissions on that drive or the folders on that drive.
>
> HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in
> Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "AIANDAS" <Aiandas@Odysseia$.com> wrote in message
>>I am adding a user on my machine with a limited account access. However,
>>when I enter the account I noticed it has access to the 2nd hard disk in
>>my machine. How do I restrict access to those other drives for this
>>limited account?
>> Thanks!

Hi,

Nope, you can't hide them, only restrict access.

--

>I used this method and it works like a charm. But what I would also like to
>do is HIDE the existence of those drives. Is there a way to do this? I have
>a pesky girlfriend who likes to play snoop-dogg which I hate!

>> Hi,
>>
>> Set permissions on that drive or the folders on that drive.
>>
>> HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in
>> Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "AIANDAS" <Aiandas@Odysseia$.com> wrote in message
>>>I am adding a user on my machine with a limited account access. However,
>>>when I enter the account I noticed it has access to the 2nd hard disk in
>>>my machine. How do I restrict access to those other drives for this
>>>limited account?
>>> Thanks!

Disable it in the bios until you need it yourself??

--
Pete Smith,
who keeps saying the famous Roman quote "Uckfay histay orfay ayay amegay

"AIANDAS" <Aiandas@Odysseia$.com> wrote in message
>I used this method and it works like a charm. But what I would also like to
>do is HIDE the existence of those drives. Is there a way to do this? I have
>a pesky girlfriend who likes to play snoop-dogg which I hate!

>> Hi,
>>
>> Set permissions on that drive or the folders on that drive.
>>
>> HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in
>> Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "AIANDAS" <Aiandas@Odysseia$.com> wrote in message
>>>I am adding a user on my machine with a limited account access. However,
>>>when I enter the account I noticed it has access to the 2nd hard disk in
>>>my machine. How do I restrict access to those other drives for this
>>>limited account?
>>> Thanks!

AIANDAS

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2004

Well, I know you can do it with powertoys XP, however it hides them from the
user who is logged on. Not the other users.
Unless TuneUP Utilities has something ?
> Hi,
>
> Nope, you can't hide them, only restrict access.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "AIANDAS" <Aiandas@Odysseia$.com> wrote in message
>>I used this method and it works like a charm. But what I would also like
>>to do is HIDE the existence of those drives. Is there a way to do this? I
>>have a pesky girlfriend who likes to play snoop-dogg which I hate!
>>
>> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Set permissions on that drive or the folders on that drive.
>>>
>>> HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in
>>> Windows XP
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
>>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>>
>>> "AIANDAS" <Aiandas@Odysseia$.com> wrote in message

AIANDAS

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2004

That's a radical solution. So far it looks like the permissions way is going
to be it. Although I would much rather HIDE those partitions too. Maybe if I
re-install Powertoys in that user's account and hide it. I mean it's not
like this user is savvy to that stuff anyway!