Just bought logitech z5500 and creative elite pro

WacoTaco

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2006
I just purchased logitech z5500 speakers and creative elite pro sound card but now i am confused how to connect all of this.Should i use the little receiver that came with the logiech or connect the thing that came with the creative.Or connect both somehow.

I have no idea someone plz help me i wanna connect this thing already.

sailer

Splendid
Start by reading the manual and also looking at the connection instructions that should be in the software. At least with the set I have, its connected to the Logitech receiver that then goes to the computer soundcard. But I have an older set of speakers and an X-Fi soundcard, so the way mine sets up may be different than yours.

WacoTaco

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2006
ok so first the thing that came with the soundcard should be connected to the soundcard with the black cable that looks like the one from the monitor to video card.And then from the thing that came with the soundcard take a optical cable and connect it to the logitech receiver.But then when i change the mode on the soundcard to gaming what do i change the mode on to the receiver?

Pretty confusing explanation sorry i dont know what all that stuff is called.

sink

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2005
You should have a 3 piece 3.5mm cable with green, black and pink connections on either end. Plug 1 end into the corresponding colours on the Z-5500 decoder(receiver) and make sure the switch round the back to the right is up in the the 6 channel direct position. Connect the other end of the 3.5mm cable to the elite pro card in your pc. Plug the yellow 3.5mm jack into the socked closest to the 26pin I/O console connector, plug the black one into the socket next to that and the green one next to that. Turn on your speakers and set input to 6 channel direct and you should be good to go.

WacoTaco

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2006
Thnx but how about if i want to use optical cable because i heard its better then those 3 3.5mm.And if i plug one end of the cable to the logitech receiver and the other to the soundcard i dont have any left for the creative receiver

sink

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2005
Not at all. Only dvd's/avi's with encoded Dolby digital, ac3 or dts will be in surround. You will not get 5.1 sound for games using a digital s/pidf connection, you will loose half the benefits of your sound card such as cmss and eax because they are not supported trough s/pidf. You might as well have gone for a cheap $50 card with s/pidf.

sink

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2005
And if i plug one end of the cable to the logitech receiver and the other to the soundcard i dont have any left for the creative receiver

If your talking about the creative I/O console you should have a 26pin AD_link connector to plug that in. The console is used for pluging in external devices such as musical instruments, record player, xbox/playstation etc. Not for connecting your speakers

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
analog = 3x3.5mm colored stereo mini cables. Use the sound card's DACs.

digital = use a coaxial or optical cable. Use the decoder DACs. If you are going to use the decoder for regular use, then you aren't really using the x-fi elite pro for anything that a $10 soundcard was going to do anyway.

WacoTaco

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2006
so what i should just stick with the 3 cables and can you tell me how am i suppose to connect them with one cable to three devices the sound card,logitech receiver,creative receiver

sink

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2005
Here is how to plug in your speakers. (Click to enlarge)

Now plug the 26-pin Ad_link into the console labeled in the bottom picture as no.7

Now plug the other end of the cable into your sound card.

sink

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2005
AC3 filter allows you to configure the way embedded audio codecs in avi's and dvd's are played. Its essential for anyone who downloads divx or xvid vids of the net.

WacoTaco

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2006
ok now i have installed my drivers for the elite pro and unstalled the driver for the onboard audio but i turn the sound card on but i think the sound sounds worser i dont know.

Can someone help me how to configurate this?

WacoTaco

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2006
Yes.Its sounds better after i did some configurations but still doesint sound nice.But i have another problem i cant get my xbox 360 to work with the I/O thing that i got do i need to change anything?

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Explain what you mean by "it doesn't sound nice?"

I'd suggest you hook up a CD player to your Z-5500s and see if it sounds better or the same vs the same CD on your PC.

If it sounds better with the CD player, then there's something wrong with your sound card.

If it sounds the same, then you need to get better speakers.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Did you make sure you connected the speakers in the right places?

Also, configurate the creative panel to sound in 5.1 mode. (I think the option is called THX Panel)

sink

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2005
If it sounds the same, then you need to get better speakers.

He's got pretty much the best 5.1 speakers you can buy.

or a barracuda that does do 5.1 for gaming..dts and dolby digital live..
No point in spending more money on a different card, he already has an X-Fi Elite Pro, the best card from creative and costs more than the barracuda.

ok now i have installed my drivers for the elite pro and unstalled the driver for the onboard audio but i turn the sound card on but i think the sound sounds worser i dont know.

Can someone help me how to configurate this?

You probably have the wrong wire plugged in some where. Check each of your speakers make sure the wire with the red tag on it is plugged into the red socket and the other one is plugged into the black. And check the back of your sub woofer make sure your wires are hooked up correctly there too. If sound is still bad check the cables going from your z-5500 receiver to your sound card, try putting them in different sockets. If the sound is still crap creative has a speaker calibration tool, try that out and see if it throws up anything.

sink

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2005
Yes.Its sounds better after i did some configurations but still doesint sound nice.But i have another problem i cant get my xbox 360 to work with the I/O thing that i got do i need to change anything?

Are you using the optical out for the 360? Plug it into your receiver and change your input on the receiver to optical.