Sign in with
Your question

Noobie monster PC build. Any input b/f finalizing purchase

Last response: in Systems
January 20, 2007 2:54:40 PM

Any improvements or suggestions would be appreciated.
------- -------------
>eVGA NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI 775 Motherboard
>Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme QX6700 2.66GHz 8MB Cache 1066MHz FSB Quad Core Processor with an SLI configuration
>Dual 768MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800 GTX - SLI Enabled
>ThermalTake Armor Extreme Edition Chassis - VA8004SNA Black, Non-Window
http://news.ferra.ru/images/121/121948.jpg
>Thermaltake ToughPower 750w Power Supply with Modularized Cable Management
>Thermaltake VGA-Dedicated Power Express 250w Power Supply
>CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM 1142 (PC2 9136) Dual Channel RAM

>Two LITE-ON Black 20X DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology
>Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooling
>Super Talent Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader 3.5-inch USB 2.0 - Black

- I'm struggling with the HD setup though, considering:
>Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive for OS and games
>Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive for primarily storage use
- I was looking at the above HD setup vs. Raptor 150 GB alone vs. two Barracuda 7200.10's (RAID 0).

Welcome any suggestions to make the system ANY BETTER, more stable, ect..

THANKS!
January 20, 2007 7:45:29 PM

You don't need 2 DVD burners. I don't know about the quad-core, there is absolutely no use for it, and most programs today don't utilize the 2 core's power.
January 20, 2007 8:11:54 PM

Ditch the Thermaltake power supply. Get a Tier 1 or 2 PSU, a Seasonic, PC Power, something like that.

And on a related power note, why the the VGA-Dedicated PSU??? Waaaaaaay overkill, by ALOT, unless you plan on powering your furnace with this setup. Ditch it altogether.

Other than that, it's badazz.
Related resources
January 20, 2007 8:45:37 PM

Quote:
Any improvements or suggestions would be appreciated.
------- -------------
>eVGA NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI 775 Motherboard
>Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme QX6700 2.66GHz 8MB Cache 1066MHz FSB Quad Core Processor with an SLI configuration
>Dual 768MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800 GTX - SLI Enabled
>ThermalTake Armor Extreme Edition Chassis - VA8004SNA Black, Non-Window
http://news.ferra.ru/images/121/121948.jpg
>Thermaltake ToughPower 750w Power Supply with Modularized Cable Management
>Thermaltake VGA-Dedicated Power Express 250w Power Supply
>CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM 1142 (PC2 9136) Dual Channel RAM

>Two LITE-ON Black 20X DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology
>Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooling
>Super Talent Internal 7-in-1 Card Reader 3.5-inch USB 2.0 - Black

- I'm struggling with the HD setup though, considering:
>Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive for OS and games
>Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive for primarily storage use
- I was looking at the above HD setup vs. Raptor 150 GB alone vs. two Barracuda 7200.10's (RAID 0).

Welcome any suggestions to make the system ANY BETTER, more stable, ect..

THANKS!

Get the new Striker-Extreme as the motherboard
why wouldnt you want to see through your system? get the window case! TT armor 8004bws!
Get a good silverstone 1000watts psu or the enermax1000watts psu AVOID THE PC SILENT AND COOL or whatever its name is, this way you will void the extra power supply of 250 watts
Get the Corsair Dominator PC8888! CAS 4

As for the storage, get 2 raptors in RAID 0 and that will kick ass
January 20, 2007 10:16:45 PM

Thanks for the input guys...

couple quick questions/comments on the feedback.

1. The Thermaltake ToughPower 750w Power Supply, why ditch it? I thought it was a pretty good PSU. Any reasons inparticular?
2. I wasn't sure about the need or boost from a VGA-dedicated PSU, but I had tried to go over-the-top on everything else, and I just didn't want any limitations with VGA power. If I ditched it, I would probably just go with a single 1000W PSU. And if I need to jump start my car, then I'm set. :) 
3. About the case, it's kinda like having a tricked out mustang with a supercharger and all the trimmings hidden under the hood. The bite is gonna be way worse than the bark!
4. Lastly, why the Corsair Dominator 1111 (PC2 8888) over the CORSAIR Dominator 1142 (PC2 9136) RAM? Is there a considerable improvement in performance for the extra $150? If I was gonna spend more on RAM, I was probably just gonna go with 4GB of the PC2 9136, but I didn't think I would need it and I figured I can always add it after the build and test. I'm going to run Vista Premium. Do you think 2GB will be enough or should I get the 4 GB right out of the gate?
5. I really didn't want to go with RAID 0 because of the chance that if one fails, they both go down burning (even if that chance is pretty low). I figured I could get the performance boost with the raptor and the storage capacity with the 7020.10 SATA2 250 GB.
January 20, 2007 10:29:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys...

couple quick questions/comments on the feedback.

1. The Thermaltake ToughPower 750w Power Supply, why ditch it? I thought it was a pretty good PSU. Any reasons inparticular?
2. I wasn't sure about the need or boost from a VGA-dedicated PSU, but I had tried to go over-the-top on everything else, and I just didn't want any limitations with VGA power. If I ditched it, I would probably just go with a single 1000W PSU. And if I need to jump start my car, then I'm set. :) 
3. About the case, it's kinda like having a tricked out mustang with a supercharger and all the trimmings hidden under the hood. The bite is gonna be way worse than the bark!
4. Lastly, why the Corsair Dominator 1111 (PC2 8888) over the CORSAIR Dominator 1142 (PC2 9136) RAM? Is there a considerable improvement in performance for the extra $150? If I was gonna spend more on RAM, I was probably just gonna go with 4GB of the PC2 9136, but I didn't think I would need it and I figured I can always add it after the build and test. I'm going to run Vista Premium. Do you think 2GB will be enough or should I get the 4 GB right out of the gate?
5. I really didn't want to go with RAID 0 because of the chance that if one fails, they both go down burning (even if that chance is pretty low). I figured I could get the performance boost with the raptor and the storage capacity with the 7020.10 SATA2 250 GB.

1. Because 750 will not be enough for 2 8800GTX in SLI.
2. Avoid that PSU of 250 for the vga cards, as I said, it would be better to get the 1000watts PSU
3. If you dont like the windowed version thats ok
4. 2Gb for Vista would be OK, as for the PC888 and PC 9136, I would say the PC8888 would be faster because it uses Latencys of 4-4-4-12 and the 9136 uses 5-5-5-15 and that makes the PC8888 the winner. Anyways, check the benchmarks to confirm if Im right (Im almost sure I am)
5. You can do what I did, I got the Raptor for windows so it can boot and load faster, and I have two other 500gb hard drives for storage, programs, videos etc
January 20, 2007 11:05:10 PM

Regarding the Thermaltake toughpower PSU. I thought it was rated at least a Teir 2 brand according to:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...

Regarding the VGA dedicated power, here are my thoughts/beliefs.
1. The 750 alone will not be enough for the two 8800 GTX's, but with this configuration, it won't need to. That is the whole point of the VGA dedicated (well at least 1 of the graphics cards dedicated) PSU. Should work out to be about the same power delivery.
2. The cost of 750W PSU + 250W VGA PSU < < 1000W PSU and essentially both setups will provide adequate power for the entire system.
3. Having the dedicated VGA helps to reduce the strain and pull fluctuations on the main PSU for other devices/drives/ect when its needed.
4. My understanding is a single 1000W PSU needs to deliver constant power at near maximal graphic card needs where the 250 W VGA dedicated PSU can "react" to deliver more power when needed and save on power when not needed so much with low graphic applications.
Please let me know if this rationale is wrong.
January 21, 2007 2:49:15 AM

Are you sure 250watts are enough for 2 8800GTX's? Why don you try googling Geforce 8800GTX Power Compsution? You will see what I mean...

As far as I know a single 8800GTX can consume 350 watts. I really dont trust that external vga psu for the 8800 series since the 8800's are monsters while consuming power.

Finally, you have a high-end system, why dont you want to buy a high-end psu? The system you have consumes a lot of power, I really dont know why would you spend a lot on the main components and not on the PSU which is one of those important ones.
January 21, 2007 2:53:07 AM

Oh and I forgot to mention, the 1000watts PSU that I have mentioned before...

you said
Quote:
Having the dedicated VGA helps to reduce the strain and pull fluctuations on the main PSU for other devices/drives/ect when its needed.

Thats why the Enermax and Silverstone 1000watts PSU have 4 rails each one so no problems would interfere with any of the other components.
January 21, 2007 11:08:53 AM

Slim 142 - I really appreciate your help. You have some very good points and I think I may just switch to a top Tier 1 1000W PSU.
I did search for GTX power consumption and I found a couple sites quoting this:
"Under no circumstances can a G80 card consume more than about 225W. A simple calculus will prove that. As you know, a video card cannot drain more than 75W from the PCI-E slot. Add a maximum of 2 6-pin power connectors rated at 75W each and you’ll get a total of 225W. And I repeat, that is actually the maximum amount of power that can be drained from the PSU, corresponding to about 19A of load on the +12 line."
http://news.softpedia.com/news/8800GTX-Power-Analysis-4...

Since the VGA dedicated PSU actually only runs to one of the 8800 GTX's, it should always be enough though. This was the configuration suggested by the builder who has used this configuration before without problems. He is a really nice guy and I trust his judgement, so I've been reluctant to make the switch, but more I think about it, the more I might just pull the trigger. Thanks again.
January 21, 2007 11:21:46 AM

OF the two 1000W PSU's, which one do you think would be better? They both cost about the same. I was leaning towards the ENERMAX.

-------------------------
ENERMAX GALAXY EGA1000EWL-DXX ATX / BTX 1000W Gamers Edition Power Supply - Retail @ $349.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Dual +12V: Yes
Efficiency: 85%
Fans: 2
Main Connector: 24Pin
Modular Cabling Support: Yes
Over Voltage Protection: Yes
Overload Protection: Yes
PCI-E Connectors: 2 x 6-Pin PCI-E 1.0, red color 2 x 8-Pin PCI-E 2.0, red color
PFC: Active
SLI Support: Yes

--------------------------------

SILVERSTONE OP1000 ATX12V / EPS12V 1000W Power Supply - Retail @$345
Dual +12V: No
Efficiency: Typical 80%
Fans: 1 x 80mm dual ball bearing fan
Input Voltage: 100 - 240 V
Main Connector: 20 + 4Pin
Modular Cabling Support: No
PCI-E Connectors: 4 x 6-pin PCI-E 2 x 8-pin PCI-E

Thanks.
January 21, 2007 3:14:23 PM

Quote:
OF the two 1000W PSU's, which one do you think would be better? They both cost about the same. I was leaning towards the ENERMAX.

-------------------------
ENERMAX GALAXY EGA1000EWL-DXX ATX / BTX 1000W Gamers Edition Power Supply - Retail @ $349.00

Dual +12V: Yes
Efficiency: 85%
Fans: 2
Main Connector: 24Pin
Modular Cabling Support: Yes
Overload Protection: Yes
PCI-E Connectors: 2 x 6-Pin PCI-E 1.0, red color 2 x 8-Pin PCI-E 2.0, red color

--------------------------------

SILVERSTONE OP1000 ATX12V / EPS12V 1000W Power Supply - Retail @$345
Dual +12V: No
Efficiency: Typical 80%
Fans: 1 x 80mm dual ball bearing fan
Input Voltage: 100 - 240 V
Main Connector: 20 + 4Pin
Modular Cabling Support: No
PCI-E Connectors: 4 x 6-pin PCI-E 2 x 8-pin PCI-E

Thanks.

Well, as for your first post, he might be right, but I have google it too and found some pages that tell that a single 8800gtx can consume up to 350watts. True or not, we all know that the 8800gtx's will consume a lot of power.

As for the second post, I can tell that both of them are good. I have been in Xtremesystems.org and people have talked really good about both so I would say go for the one that you like more. Whichever is your choice, stick with those 2, avoid the PC Power And Cool 1k PSU since I heard people talking really bad about it.

Good luck
January 21, 2007 5:05:59 PM

Thanks for the tip.
Either PSU setup would have probably done the trick. But you're right, I spared no expense up until that point so I went with the ENERMAX GALAXY 1000W PSU instead of the 750/250 Thermaltake combo. This way I can sleep better at night.

Thanks.
January 21, 2007 5:29:54 PM

Nice choice ;) 

I just finished reading a topic from here with some guys recommending the Enermax over the other 1k PSU's so I think you made the best choice.

Hope you enjoy your system :) 
January 21, 2007 7:08:04 PM

Thanks,

Someone else recommended the OCZ PowerStream as a consideration.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/power_management/...

I think I'm still gonna go with the ENERMAX though. Most would agree that it's one of the best. Anyone have any experience with the PowerStream unit though, just for reference?
January 21, 2007 7:46:08 PM

I don't know what others are talking about, but get the PC power & Cooling. Its a Tier 1 PSU.
If you're looking to save $$$, get the 750w version. It'll have enough juice.
And, If you're going for vista, screw the ultra-high end ram, and use that extra $$ for ANOTHER 2gigs.
You'll see the performance difference over high classed, only 2gig ram.

Other than that, killer system. But, think about watercolling it, as the QX6700 pours out A LOT of heat. Same with the G80's in SLI.
January 21, 2007 8:05:09 PM

I had looked into the PC power and cooling, but that is very expensive and most people have recommended not to go that route. I probably wouldn't do a single PSU less than 1000W. The 750W would probably give enough juice, but reviews have said:

"Best of the Best
Reviewed By: N/A on 12/28/2006 Tech Level: high - Ownership: 1 week to 1 month
Other Thoughts: I had the PCPowerandcooling 750 silencer quad series and it didnt have enough juice under extreme loads for past 5 hours of online gaming. The 750 idled quiet but under load the fan was louder than this 1kw SR model. Do yourself a favor and just buy the best and forget the rest. I should have bought this unit first and stopped second guessing my system. I have EVGA 680i, MB, 8800GTX SLI, Koolance PC4-1026 case watercooling, Corsair 9136 ram. Every piece that is overclocked is overclocked so power demands are high. The 1kw SR doesnt break a sweat where the 750 would crank the fan on constantly to keep up for peak usage. Never again will I buy second best when it comes to power supply regardless of cost."

The cost of the 1000W unit is @$599.99. The enermax is half the cost and from what I've heard should be able to handle my system very well. Most have rated it very high. Would there really be that much improvement (if any) for the extra $300?

I may end up buying 2 more GB or RAM, but I wanted to see how it runs first. That will give me another 1-2 months hopefully to save a little more $$. I'm really starting to get to the upper limit of my available spending right now. I chose the 9136 over the 8888 due to cost. I hate to downgrade again to get more RAM now when if I can survive another month or two, I can get 4 GB of the 9136.

I have the Tuniq heat sink. I was hoping that would be enough. The Chassis is also well designed for air flow too. I really didn't want to have to go to water cooling. It's tougher to ship and the maintance is tougher. Thats why I'm buying high end parts, so I don't have to overclock to save on some heat. Anyone elses thoughts on the subject (enough cooling with the Tuniq alone?) would be appreciated too.
January 21, 2007 9:17:24 PM

Quote:
I don't know what others are talking about, but get the PC power & Cooling. Its a Tier 1 PSU.
If you're looking to save $$$, get the 750w version. It'll have enough juice.
And, If you're going for vista, screw the ultra-high end ram, and use that extra $$ for ANOTHER 2gigs.
You'll see the performance difference over high classed, only 2gig ram.

Other than that, killer system. But, think about watercolling it, as the QX6700 pours out A LOT of heat. Same with the G80's in SLI.

Well you can go to xtremesystems and check the PSU recommendation topic, you will see what Im talking about, most people there dont recommend it.
January 21, 2007 9:57:49 PM

You don't need any more than 2 gigs of ram for vista x64, pcworld has tested that, maybe dx10 gaming, but not now. As for the ram, I recommend this right here, I like corsair, but I prefer their 6400cas3 over their 9139, and this one beats the 9139 in every way, plus it already has a water cooling heatsink on it for later water cooling upgrades, which is really a smart idea 8O for a qx6700, as I know some one here that was getting very high temps on a high end air cooler, and still ideling at 40 and getting load of 60s with a water cooler, so maybe you should consider phase change, that is probably the only way to properly cool down the qx6700 to a reasonable (and by that I mean sub-zero temps 8O). Really try to get some cellshock ram if you can manage to find some, like the ocz flexx, it has an 8 layer heatsink vs the dominator's 4, and have proven to be the best ocers. Not close to the best, the best, cellshock puts in handpicked Micron D9GKX IC, which is the best for ocing right now, and you will want to run your ram pretty damn fast if you don't want to oc that extreme and expect to not bottlenceck the gtx's.

OCZ flexx
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

Cellshock
http://www.cellshock.msc.de/
here's the cellshock running at 4-4-4-5 1200 32m stable, which is insane
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11...

and here's some nice geil that's guaranteed to run at 4-5-4-10 1200 on amd builds, should run at that speed on yours

Go with what slim42 has said for the other stuff though, I trust his judgement, but ram is my thing, and I think that these will be more satisfying for your needs. And questions?
January 21, 2007 10:13:21 PM

well RAM GUY :) 

do you think PC6400 w/ 3-4-3-9 would be faster than PC10000 at 5-5-5-15?

According to corsair, PC10000 is the fastest in the world 8O
January 21, 2007 10:20:22 PM

that is the biggest bs I have ever heard, that ocz I should you goes beyond 1300mhz, and you call corsair the fastest in the world? And the cellshock goes to 1200mhz with 4-4-4-5, both higher mhz, and better timings, plus, the cas3 is higher binned than the 9139, which means its actually better, and can handle either more mhz or better timings. I know my ram, after making a my first mistake with ram, I made sure to know my ram well
January 21, 2007 10:29:49 PM

I never called them that, they call themselves.

Hmmm, what about the PC8888 CAS 4 from Corsair? is that a good memory?

you know why I dont like OCZ, I heard a lot of people having incompatiblity issues with ASUS (and Im an ASUS fan you know) thats hwy
January 21, 2007 10:35:30 PM

IT is, but the geil still beats it for about half the price, 1200mhz at 4-5-4-10 beats 1111mhz with 4-4-4-12. OCZ has done a remarkable job with their flexXTC modules, and they have put in some very high binned IC, and I don't think the same compitibility issues would arise, but it's all up to the op. But if its possible, cellshock is completely the way to go, no matter the price. They have higher binned version of the same IC ocz has in its flexXTC ram that achieves 1300mhz+, which actually is pc10000
January 21, 2007 10:38:58 PM

Classify me the RAM brand with your preferences

1) Geil.
2)Corsair? OCZ?
3) Kingston?
4)Centon?
5) Patriot?
6) Super talent?
1026) PNY (for sure)
January 21, 2007 10:45:20 PM

I_Love_Tacos and Slim, thanks for the advice/opinion. I'm gonna have to do a little more research in that department. Where can I even look to purchase cellshock? I can't tell that one page is all German.
The MHz and timings you're quoting, is that OC'd or out of the box. I don't think I'm going down the OC road.

Basically, more than the RAM issue (any of those would probably do the trick), I guess I'm concerned about heat. I really don't want to go the liquid cooling route. Basically, am I gonna be able to pull this off with the Tuniq and a good airflow chassis or what.
January 21, 2007 11:17:16 PM

I don't know where you can find cellshocks without paying insane taxes, that's the only problem with them, otherwise they are the best you can go with. But for best out of the box performance, I'd say the ocz is, it has the highest mhz out of the box (1150, slightly more than corsair for less, even though the felxXTC has a better pcb) and you can attach a 3/8" water cooler onto it later on if you ever decide to try ocing. Geil offers some memory that's guaranteed to run at 1200 mhz 4-5-4-10, but that's only on an amd system, so it's not guaranteed to do that out of the box on your machine (though it probably will), but it requires a lot of voltage (2.5v), something I wouldn't comfertably run 24/7.

As for my personal preference, here's what I'd choose if I had the money

Cellshock (if you can get it)
Centon, another very good brand right there
OCZ
Corsair (but only their top modules, I hate their mid to lower range ones)
Crucial
Super Talent (for now anyways, I have had good experience from their 800 mhz ram, but they don't source from the IC all the time, which is why I put it almost last)
Kingston (only their top modle, their others can't oc, just are good for stable operation)
and I haven't heard that many good things about Patriot, but I like G.Skill too
Pny isn't that bad though, check out their higher binned modles like their super plus 800 cas3 ram, that has a very high binned IC there too (better than corsairs 800cas3, but they aren't handpicked, so performance may vary on those, pricing is about the same)

Anything else?
January 21, 2007 11:26:01 PM

I'm curious about this PC2-10000. To reach the RAM's full potential, the FSB would need to be set to 625MHz, right? I suppose that's possible or will be possible, but let's say you can only reach 500MHz. At PC2-8000, what kind of timings could be expected? Say 2-2-2-8?
January 21, 2007 11:34:10 PM

Yes, but that has been achieved easily by some of the ram I have mentioned. You would need 625 mhz, but still, considering that some cellshock get to 1200mhz with 4-4-4-5 and only 2.4volts, I think that with slightly weaker timings, 1250mhz is easily achievable with 2.4 volts on some cellshock, and the ocz flex could do it too, but I don't think it could do cas4 at those speeds, as though they both have D9GKX IC, the cellshock's are the highest binned I have ever seen, and I don't think ocz bins them that high, but they are guaranteed by ocz according to the inquerer who got the first look at them to do 1300mhz, which it did, just with cas5, but they only used 2.35 volts, so I think they could have gotten cas4 at some lower speeds if they tried. But cas2 isn't even heard of for ddr2. Not unless you run it at something like 4200 speeds, but even still, most motherboards don't even let you try cas2, cas3 is the lowest they go
January 22, 2007 7:52:52 PM

Quote:
I don't know where you can find cellshocks without paying insane taxes, that's the only problem with them, otherwise they are the best you can go with. But for best out of the box performance, I'd say the ocz is, it has the highest mhz out of the box (1150, slightly more than corsair for less, even though the felxXTC has a better pcb) and you can attach a 3/8" water cooler onto it later on if you ever decide to try ocing. Geil offers some memory that's guaranteed to run at 1200 mhz 4-5-4-10, but that's only on an amd system, so it's not guaranteed to do that out of the box on your machine (though it probably will), but it requires a lot of voltage (2.5v), something I wouldn't comfertably run 24/7.

As for my personal preference, here's what I'd choose if I had the money

Cellshock (if you can get it)
Centon, another very good brand right there
OCZ
Corsair (but only their top modules, I hate their mid to lower range ones)
Crucial
Super Talent (for now anyways, I have had good experience from their 800 mhz ram, but they don't source from the IC all the time, which is why I put it almost last)
Kingston (only their top modle, their others can't oc, just are good for stable operation)
and I haven't heard that many good things about Patriot, but I like G.Skill too
Pny isn't that bad though, check out their higher binned modles like their super plus 800 cas3 ram, that has a very high binned IC there too (better than corsairs 800cas3, but they aren't handpicked, so performance may vary on those, pricing is about the same)

Anything else?

I have never heard of Cellshock, dont blame me, Im not a RAM GUY.
I thought your first preference was Geil, then OCZ then Corsair, why you have put Centon as second best?
Also, OCZ is better than Corsair in some ways but is not 100% better.
Crucial after kingston? :S Super Talent after kingston? :S

Explain me that, and what is so cool about Cellshock? why doesnt people from reviews (even toms) use them when they are doing their high-end reviews?
January 22, 2007 8:57:46 PM

cellshock is not a very well known ram, and neither is centon, but centon has very nice prices for their performance modules that make them a deal you can't miss. as for ocz, I put them ahead of corsair because their gold and platinum lines outperform the xms lines right now because of the promos IC corsair puts in them (and I really don't like the fact they put highly binned micron IC's to reviewers, that seems just wrong to me). Then kingston ram cannot oc unless you buy their highest binned ram, while since micron owns crucial, a lot of their best IC's go to crucial's ddr1000 ram that oc's insanely good. People are getting 1150mhz out of the box with only 2.2 volts, and they go even farther with some more vdimm.

As for the reviews, as I said, cellshock is not very well known ram, but they have the best heatspreaders and IC's I have seen. Another problem is that they only give them to european shops, so it's near impossible to find in the us. Price is another thing, their 1000 ram (highest binned one) is slightly more than corsair's 1066 modules, so while their better,the price discourages people that have access from getting them. You really have to know what you're doing to know about some of these smaller companies that offer some of the best performance, and so, the Taco can't really blame some of these reviewers from not using them.
January 22, 2007 9:00:29 PM

Taco, I love corsair, I want to stick with corsair.

What RAM do you recommend me?

I cant still decide which one is better, Dominator PC8888 Cas4 2Gb or Dominator PC6400 Cas3 2Gb.
January 22, 2007 9:13:56 PM

If you can afford it, 4gb of cas3, but the 8888 is some of the best ram I have ever seen, I really like corsair's upper models, just hate them for their lower models and how they cheated me out of micron IC's in their twin2x2084-6400c4d ram. If you get the cas4, do yourself and me a favor, tweak it up to 1400mhz (if that's possible) and have some fun with it, I want you to enjoy your ram :wink:
January 22, 2007 9:13:57 PM

If it's for an Intel system, then most definitely get the higher speed Dominator set. Intel CPUs aren't as sensitive to CAS latency and timings as AMD's are, so you can afford to get a higher latency.

The frequency matters more to Intel systems, get the PC8888.
January 22, 2007 9:15:18 PM

That's true, and that's why I recommended the ocz, can do just as much mhz as the dominator (has actually a better IC, but not as highly binned), and it's cheaper
January 22, 2007 9:19:42 PM

Out of the two he mentioned, I made a choice. Both of what he listed was Corsair, so I chose between what he said.

OCZ is good, but their RAM doesn't work well with Asus boards. OCZ is pretty finicky, in my experience.

Truth be told, I prefer Crucial. Very fast, and what with RAM prices spiking these days, among the high-end there isn't really that much difference in price. I mean, if you're going to shell out for PC8888, why not go all the way?
January 22, 2007 10:42:21 PM

Quote:
Out of the two he mentioned, I made a choice. Both of what he listed was Corsair, so I chose between what he said.

OCZ is good, but their RAM doesn't work well with Asus boards. OCZ is pretty finicky, in my experience.

Truth be told, I prefer Crucial. Very fast, and what with RAM prices spiking these days, among the high-end there isn't really that much difference in price. I mean, if you're going to shell out for PC8888, why not go all the way?

Thats what I heard, incompatibility issues from OCZ with ASUS so I want to stick with Corsair.

Well in conclusion the PC8888 is better ;)  I think I might get until its prices come down. Right now Im happy with my PC6400 CAS4 TWIN 2X1024
January 22, 2007 10:57:21 PM

Qwazzy,

Why NOT get the QX6700?

I would like to hear why myself...

Not sure about your above reasoning.

I would not deter ANYONE at all from the quad. Especially since he is doing a pretty well monster build out.

Just curious "above answers are not nearly enough reason to deter".
January 22, 2007 11:05:08 PM

Joe,

Please review some of the info contained here:

Quad vs. Dual

Also, please review some of the reviews here on THG for the Quad.

Buy in confidence (not by my decision that quad is better, but by your decision that it is ;) )
January 23, 2007 2:13:54 PM

the quad was already the op's cpu of choice when he started the thread

We already know the benefiets and costs of having a quad, such as the fact it's actually slower than the e6700 when doing single threaded tasks at the same frequency and that they run hotter than 4x4 (less overall wattage though). This is mainly about deciding the ram and the other details that aren't as simple as choosing a cpu
January 23, 2007 5:39:34 PM

ches,
thanks for the link.
I guess I had my heart set on the quad from the start of this project. It would be tough to talk me out of it. I know it has it's strengths and weaknesses, but CPU really hasn't been much of an issue in my decision. At this point we were debating RAM more than anything.
There is a lot of RAM out there and I don't think there is any one or two clear cut favorites. I wish I had unlimited funds and resources because there is some high quality stuff out there. Right now Corsair or OCZ prob best fit what I was looking for.
I did change my PSU based on the board so I'm always open to suggestions. Thanks.
January 23, 2007 6:18:27 PM

The Tuniq is your best air option. If you are not OCing then it will supply the best cooling with little noise.

You do not need to water cool without an overclock.
January 23, 2007 6:34:02 PM

I think you should save yourself somemoney on the motherboard with this one

It will require you to get the r600 in crossfire instead of sli 8800gtx's, but the board is both cheaper than the striker and better imo. Since none of the reviews that have been made on it are really valid, us at DaClan can't really say much about it until 3lfk1ng is done with his testing, but I am sure that it will offer you a better time with it, not to mention, if you aren't going to overclock anyway, what's the point of getting the striker? This board has far more features and overclocks better, but I suggest you get something cheaper that still supports quad cores so you can get better ram etc.

As DaClan have been discussing it's capabilities for a long time now, so check this site frequently and the review on it should be done soon
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&...

With the money you could save, you could get something like this ram
That is guaranteed to operate at 1250mhz (I really suggest you get the ocz ram and overclock that to 1300+mhz instead, but it's all up to) and it won't give you any problems at that speed. And since the rd600 offers independant ram clocking, you could run your ram at 1400mhz and still leave your cpu at stock (if the ram could reach those speeds, I know the ocz got very close, within 50mhz, at that was an engeneering modle).

But if you like the striker and the corsair ram, it's fine by me, all I'm suggesting is to save a bit of money by getting the rd600 with some ocz ram that's just as good and has no problems with dfi motherboards. That way, you could either get some better graphics cards, or you could get another 2gb of ram, or you could get a nice cooling kit for your qx6700, as you have a lot of pontential in that thing, but at stock, the 6700 is faster for single threaded apps and very few apps are multi-threaded besides some games and video/photo editing software
January 23, 2007 7:27:12 PM

Tacos,

I was just making a reply to qwazzy that was deterring him from the Quad.

That was the only reason for the response.

In fact your response in a little mis-leading as well.

If you visit the thread mentioned above you might see that some of the comments that you gave in response to me were possibly in error too.

I was merely trying to correct some very common misnomers that are spreading throughout THG.
January 23, 2007 7:38:05 PM

Thank you for mentioning that politely, but I think the op has his heart set on the quad, for future proofing (it will last 6months instead of 3 before it's obsolite yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. woo hoo, party time :lol:  )

But I don't think there's anything to stop him from getting a quad, when the x6800 is the same price, so I think that he will put up with the problems of being an early adopter for the benefiets of better multitasking
January 23, 2007 8:27:08 PM

Tacos,

Just so ya know I did like many of your comments on RAM/Latencies/Timings...

Can ya feel the love :) 
January 23, 2007 8:32:49 PM

Quote:
Tacos,

Just so ya know I did like many of your comments on RAM/Latencies/Timings...

Can ya feel the love :) 

Thank again, you know, I'm really starting to like you, because of how polite and respectful you are, and also you seem very knowledgeable. And as I tell everyone, the taco believes that everyone should know his knowledge and that he is open to anyone at any time, as he likes to help. So here, have yourself a taco :trophy: :mrgreen:

I think this is the best image I have found yet :D 
January 23, 2007 8:52:42 PM

Can you overclock those tacos?

What is their CAS latencies? I can tell you from my experience that the TACO BELL food has a very very small latency when it comes to uhhhhh processing :) 
January 23, 2007 8:55:17 PM

I got them to about 10000000000000000000000000mhz with -5,-340582058,-7,8888888888888888 timings. And I still only get 3 fps in halo :cry:  :lol: 
January 23, 2007 8:58:58 PM

Joe,

Patriot has had some very good products lately. I just recently bought their DDR2-667 2x1gb kit and it performs well. I obviously did not purchase it for its overall speed but its base voltages are such (see OCZ gold issues here on THG) that most boards will POST immediately without a BIOS change upping the stock voltage.

I have not pushed the Patriot memory and do not intend to. It was a build for my father-in-law and I prefer for it to run rather then run quicker ;) .

I will say the reason I was impressed with the Patriot memory was the price (was best I could find) and what you got. The heat spreader was well applied and was actually quite nice. Got a POST on an ASUS P5B-Deluxe Wifi immediately and in the minimal playing I did with them they were responding well to OC'ing. (again it is my father-in-laws PC so I backed off quickly and went back to stock)
!