XP/WORD

Hi All,

Maybe someone can help me.

Until yesterday, I had no problems with saving Word documents but, today I
am having difficulties.

I can open Word, create a document and then save it, but when I try to open
that document or any other previously saved Word Document, a message appears
telling me that the document is not available.

I can go to My Documents to try from there, but I get the same message. I
can Right click on a document in My documents and get it to open in Word Pad
but, that's the only way I can access any documents and, naturally, Word Pad
is no good to me as I NEED to edit various documents at various times.

I haven't changed any settings-perhaps one of my kids have-maybe you can
offer some advice.

I thank you in advance and look forward to your reply.

vicroby@bigfoot.com
3 answers Last reply
More about word

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:47:19 +0800, Tosser wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Maybe someone can help me.
    >
    > Until yesterday, I had no problems with saving Word documents but, today I
    > am having difficulties.
    >
    > I can open Word, create a document and then save it, but when I try to open
    > that document or any other previously saved Word Document, a message appears
    > telling me that the document is not available.
    >
    > I can go to My Documents to try from there, but I get the same message. I
    > can Right click on a document in My documents and get it to open in Word Pad
    > but, that's the only way I can access any documents and, naturally, Word Pad
    > is no good to me as I NEED to edit various documents at various times.
    >
    > I haven't changed any settings-perhaps one of my kids have-maybe you can
    > offer some advice.
    >
    > I thank you in advance and look forward to your reply.
    >
    > vicroby@bigfoot.com

    Suggestions:

    -When performing, File> Save or Save As, check what is in the Location box.
    If one of your kids used the program, they may have saved to one of their
    own private folders. The program may be now be remembering that location.
    Change the location in this box to one of your own folders.

    Regain access to the files that were saved in the kid's folders by taking
    ownership:

    -In Tools> Options, check Save and Security settings.

    -Locate the default template, normal.dot, and rename it. Close Word and
    open it again. A new normal.dot file will be created. Create a test
    document. Save and try to open.

    -Post this question in one of the Word newsgroups. Be sure to include the
    version of Word that you are using in your message. Newsgroups for Office
    products can be found here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?d=1

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    "Tosser" wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Maybe someone can help me.
    >
    > Until yesterday, I had no problems with saving Word documents but, today I
    > am having difficulties.
    >
    > I can open Word, create a document and then save it, but when I try to open
    > that document or any other previously saved Word Document, a message appears
    > telling me that the document is not available.
    >
    > I can go to My Documents to try from there, but I get the same message. I
    > can Right click on a document in My documents and get it to open in Word Pad
    > but, that's the only way I can access any documents and, naturally, Word Pad
    > is no good to me as I NEED to edit various documents at various times.
    >
    > I haven't changed any settings-perhaps one of my kids have-maybe you can
    > offer some advice.
    >
    > I thank you in advance and look forward to your reply.
    >
    > vicroby@bigfoot.com

    From another post a couple of weeks ago,thought that I would save it.

    Will Denny

    1/30/2005 8:16 PM PST
    Re: Word
    In: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
    Hi

    Close Word, open Windows Explorer and search for a file named 'normal.dot',
    then delete it. See if you can open your files then.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Ron" <Ron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Why can't I open my word files any more? It keeps saying that the files
    > are
    > not available. And when I try to close word it says the file normal
    > already
    > exists do you want to replace it. No matter which I choose it still won't
    > work

    have you done a windows search for the file name?

    "Tosser" <vicroby@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Maybe someone can help me.
    >
    > Until yesterday, I had no problems with saving Word documents but, today I
    > am having difficulties.
    >
    > I can open Word, create a document and then save it, but when I try to
    > open that document or any other previously saved Word Document, a message
    > appears telling me that the document is not available.
    >
    > I can go to My Documents to try from there, but I get the same message. I
    > can Right click on a document in My documents and get it to open in Word
    > Pad but, that's the only way I can access any documents and, naturally,
    > Word Pad is no good to me as I NEED to edit various documents at various
    > times.
    >
    > I haven't changed any settings-perhaps one of my kids have-maybe you can
    > offer some advice.
    >
    > I thank you in advance and look forward to your reply.
    >
    > vicroby@bigfoot.com

Document My Documents Windows XP