Restrict Access to Removable Media (CD, Floppy)

Hi all. I found the following registry key which seems to allow one to
restrict access to removable media

System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
Value Name: AllocateDASD
Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
a.. 0 - Administrators only
a.. 1 - Administrators and power users
a.. 2 - Administrators and the interactive user

Instead of manually changing the registry, is there a GPO for this? I
cannot seem to find one.

FYI that is the security option that can be found in Local Security Policy for
"allowed to eject removeable ntfs media". --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/default.asp?url=/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/regentry/96271.asp

Dave Morrow wrote:

> Hi all. I found the following registry key which seems to allow
> one to restrict access to removable media
>
> System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
> Value Name: AllocateDASD
> Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
> a.. 0 - Administrators only
> a.. 1 - Administrators and power users
> a.. 2 - Administrators and the interactive user
>
> Instead of manually changing the registry, is there a GPO for this?
> I cannot seem to find one.
Hi

I don't think a GPO exists for this. You can push out the registry
value through Group Policy using a Custom Administrative Template:

HOW TO: Create Custom Administrative Templates in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=323639

225087 Writing Custom ADM Files for System Policy Editor
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=225087

Implementing Registry-Based Group Policy - white paper
http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/techinfo/howitworks/management/rbppaper.asp

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=hqLijhCjEHA.2968%40cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Thanks Torgeir, I will look into using custom ADM to do this and possibly
other things.