What's your favourite mod ?

Manky Badger wrote:
> What's anyone's recommendations for a good mod ?

I like Stefan Gagne's Penultima series (both of them)
The Harper's Tale series by Dave Mason
Rick Burton's paladin series, currently Twilight and Midnight (Dawn may
never be finished because Burton hates some of the things that go on in
the community)

I am apparently one of only 10 people in the entire world that was not
impressed by Adam Miller's Shadowlords series. I never played Dreamcatcher.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Barry Scott Will wrote:

> I like Stefan Gagne's Penultima series (both of them)
> The Harper's Tale series by Dave Mason

IMO, the last one (Selgaunt) is a bit unbalanced in some areas, the
perception range of the enemies seems to be larger than normal.

> I am apparently one of only 10 people in the entire world that was not
> impressed by Adam Miller's Shadowlords series. I never played
> Dreamcatcher.

I took a look at Shaodowlords and wasn't impressed too. Dreamcatcher was
finished for me when I came to an area where a quick finger was more
important than brain ;-)

Hans

Manky Badger wrote:
> Been rooting round the Nevcerwinter Vault for a while
> http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/moduleslist2.shtml - some are
> good, others not so.
>
> What's anyone's recommendations for a good mod ?

The two best series I have played was definately (in no particualer order):
Shadowlords/Dreamcatcher series
The Rogues Of Quinn series

Guild Wars was also pretty good.

Devast8or

Leo Fellmann wrote:
> | Rick Burton's paladin series, currently Twilight and Midnight (Dawn may
> | never be finished because Burton hates some of the things that go on in
> | the community)
>
> Eep! Didn't know that, what've people been saying?

Burton is pretty disgusted by all the troll voting that goes on in the
user ratings system. He also is one of the first to pipe up and condemn
the review guild whenever they hand out a bad review. Personally, I
think his ego has gotten the better of him; but, I can kind of
understand his position as we all do this free of charge and our only
"reward" is an atta-boy (or girl) or two.

> | I am apparently one of only 10 people in the entire world that was not
> | impressed by Adam Miller's Shadowlords series. I never played
> Dreamcatcher.
>
> Well, they were some of the first modules, so the Shadowlords series
> does look a bit rough by todays standards. OTOH the Dreamcatcher series
> is far more polished.

Well, I played them right when they first came out and still found them
to be lacking in several areas. Due to the bad taste they left in my
mouth, I haven't allocated any time to DC yet.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Hans Wein wrote:

> Barry Scott Will wrote:
>

>>I like Stefan Gagne's Penultima series (both of them)

I played through both of these, and though they are very clever they
were a bit tiresome by the end. I didn't like how almost all of the
creatures were renamed to some bizarre name, and there was too much
talking for my liking. (I've found that when playing multiplayer, I'm
less inclined to wade through all the dialogue - it just slows things
down too much when playing with others).

[snip]

>>I am apparently one of only 10 people in the entire world that was not
>>impressed by Adam Miller's Shadowlords series. I never played
>>Dreamcatcher.
>

> I took a look at Shaodowlords and wasn't impressed too. Dreamcatcher was
> finished for me when I came to an area where a quick finger was more
> important than brain ;-)
>
> Hans

Our group has just started playing Shadowlords and we finished the first
module last night. We're all enjoying it so far :)

- Stoobie.

Capn Stoobie wrote:
> Our group has just started playing Shadowlords and we finished the first
> module last night. We're all enjoying it so far :)

Multiplayer can make a big difference. I play SP almost exclusively (I
occasionally visit a PW); and, in SP, I found Shadowlords to be way too
much "PnP" style. You walk into an empty room and text pops up
describing the room.

Whoopee.

There were other things I disliked, but that was the biggest annoyance.
Perhaps Miller has gotten better at actually visually filling the spaces
rather than just handing out "verbal" descriptions as though you're
playing tabletop D&D.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

"Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:<cgui2c$10dr$1@news.cybercity.dk>...
> Manky Badger wrote:
> > Been rooting round the Nevcerwinter Vault for a while
> > http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/moduleslist2.shtml - some are
> > good, others not so.
> >
> > What's anyone's recommendations for a good mod ?
>
> The two best series I have played was definately (in no particualer order):
> Shadowlords/Dreamcatcher series

I liked those as well, but I'm easy to please and always remember that
the writers do this stuff as a hobby - free to users! And I always
play single player.

One of my favorites was Cormyrean Nights, partly because *minor
spoiler ahead* starting out the game unconscious and in jail reminds
me so much of old-school PnP DND.

The Harper's Tale stuff was enjoyable overall.

one that I'm currently playing and enjoying is the Infernal Crown
series, which requires the player be neutral or evil.

Anonymous Jack wrote:
> One of my favorites was Cormyrean Nights, partly because *minor
> spoiler ahead* starting out the game unconscious and in jail reminds
> me so much of old-school PnP DND.

Reminds me of college.
--
My NWN Work So Far: http://tinyurl.com/6xy2f
"Pits of red smoke and fog are usually bad."

Barry> Manky Badger wrote:
>> What's anyone's recommendations for a good mod ?

Barry> I like Stefan Gagne's Penultima series (both of them) The
Barry> Harper's Tale series by Dave Mason Rick Burton's paladin
Barry> series, currently Twilight and Midnight (Dawn may never be
Barry> finished because Burton hates some of the things that go on
Barry> in the community)

Barry> I am apparently one of only 10 people in the entire world
Barry> that was not impressed by Adam Miller's Shadowlords
Barry> series. I never played Dreamcatcher.

The penultima series is indeed very good, but the best of S. Gagne is,
IMO, Elegia Eternum, and more than that, Excrucio Eternum.
The latter is superb, and I'm just waiting for the last of the
trilogy.

--

Herve Regad-Pellagru

BFI: /B-F-I/ n. See brute_force_and_ignorance. Also encountered in
the variants `BFMI', `brute force and *massive* ignorance' and `BFBI'
`brute force and bloody ignorance'.

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 19:22:04 GMT, Barry Scott Will
<nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote:

>Rick Burton's paladin series, currently Twilight and Midnigh

I couldn't get through Twilight's first training time trials without
finding it incredibly frustrating. Then after I finally got through
it, there was a special "Grand Time Trial" that was almost the exact
same time trial as the first, only THREE TIMES BIGGER. Easily the
least fun NWN mod I've played.

-worm

Personally my favorite mod isnt one thats available fro download.
Neversummer has been my full time addiction for the last 2 years, with the
Neversummer4 beta in progress it truly shows where bioware dropped the ball
and how to fix it without having the annoyance of hunting down random hak
paks.

But hey, thats just me.

"Azerthoth" <thelorddragon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Personally my favorite mod isnt one thats available fro download.
> Neversummer has been my full time addiction for the last 2 years, with the
> Neversummer4 beta in progress it truly shows where bioware dropped the
ball
> and how to fix it without having the annoyance of hunting down random hak
> paks.
>
> But hey, thats just me.

Dropped the ball on what?

"Insane Ranter" <spam@not.me> wrote in message news:<Noa0d.114017$_h.11706@bignews3.bellsouth.net>...
> "Azerthoth" <thelorddragon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Personally my favorite mod isnt one thats available fro download.
> > Neversummer has been my full time addiction for the last 2 years, with the
> > Neversummer4 beta in progress it truly shows where bioware dropped the
> ball
> > and how to fix it without having the annoyance of hunting down random hak
> > paks.
>
> Dropped the ball on what?

And how did you get Neversummer if it isn't available for download?
Is this your own project that you'll try to distribute later?

The list of what Bioware truly dropped the ball on runs a wide gamut, from
spell stacking issues, application and implentation of cleric domain level
spells, the inclusion of over powered and unbalancing feats such as dev
crit, the poor implenentation of Hide in Plain Sight. The fact that many AC
modifiers that are applicable and listed as seperate modifiers are in
actuallity lumped in under the same modifier which means its capped and not
wholly cumulative. AI responses that are counterintuitive to any form of
challenging game play. The list goes on and on.

But by far the buggiest feature in the whole system is the DM client, which
drops data while in game, loads too much initial data on load up, and will
crash at the drop of a hat under a myraid of circumstances.

I could go on for a long time on where Bioware has dropped the ball, but I'm
out of time sor this sitting.

Anonymous Jack wrote:
> And how did you get Neversummer if it isn't available for download?
> Is this your own project that you'll try to distribute later?

It's a persistent world.

http://www.nsrealm.com/

--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

> The list of what Bioware truly dropped the ball on runs a wide gamut, from
> spell stacking issues, application and implentation of cleric domain level
> spells, the inclusion of over powered and unbalancing feats such as dev
> crit, the poor implenentation of Hide in Plain Sight. The fact that many
AC
> modifiers that are applicable and listed as seperate modifiers are in
> actuallity lumped in under the same modifier which means its capped and
not
> wholly cumulative. AI responses that are counterintuitive to any form of
> challenging game play. The list goes on and on.
>
> But by far the buggiest feature in the whole system is the DM client,
which
> drops data while in game, loads too much initial data on load up, and will
> crash at the drop of a hat under a myraid of circumstances.
>
> I could go on for a long time on where Bioware has dropped the ball, but
I'm
> out of time sor this sitting.

The AC modifer thing is a pen n paper issue not bioware really... spell
stacking well maybe a scroll takes up that much space in a container? The
feats are mostly straight from pen and paper... blame Wizards not Bioware
for those

Barry Scott Will wrote:<CCm0d.68180$3l3.34086@attbi_s03>...
> Anonymous Jack wrote:
> > And how did you get Neversummer if it isn't available for download?
> > Is this your own project that you'll try to distribute later?
>
> It's a persistent world.

Ahhh... I see. Thanks, so it's not actually a mod. Confused me a bit,
when Azertoth said his favorit mod was not available for download :)

"Anonymous Jack" <alordofchaos@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Barry Scott Will wrote:<CCm0d.68180$3l3.34086@attbi_s03>...
>> Anonymous Jack wrote:
>> > And how did you get Neversummer if it isn't available for download?
>> > Is this your own project that you'll try to distribute later?
>>
>> It's a persistent world.
>
> Ahhh... I see. Thanks, so it's not actually a mod. Confused me a bit,
> when Azertoth said his favorit mod was not available for download :)

So what's the difference between a persistent world and a mod ?

Manky Badger wrote:
> So what's the difference between a persistent world and a mod ?

A module is any adventure written for the Aurora (NWN) engine. A PW is a
module that only runs on a dedicated server and is not downloaded
directly to the client's machine.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications