What's your favourite mod ?

Been rooting round the Nevcerwinter Vault for a while
http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/moduleslist2.shtml - some are good,
others not so.

What's anyone's recommendations for a good mod ?
21 answers Last reply
More about what favourite

    Manky Badger wrote:
    > What's anyone's recommendations for a good mod ?

    I like Stefan Gagne's Penultima series (both of them)
    The Harper's Tale series by Dave Mason
    Rick Burton's paladin series, currently Twilight and Midnight (Dawn may
    never be finished because Burton hates some of the things that go on in
    the community)

    I am apparently one of only 10 people in the entire world that was not
    impressed by Adam Miller's Shadowlords series. I never played Dreamcatcher.
    --
    Barry Scott Will
    Pyric RPG Publications

    Barry Scott Will wrote:

    > I like Stefan Gagne's Penultima series (both of them)
    > The Harper's Tale series by Dave Mason

    IMO, the last one (Selgaunt) is a bit unbalanced in some areas, the
    perception range of the enemies seems to be larger than normal.

    > I am apparently one of only 10 people in the entire world that was not
    > impressed by Adam Miller's Shadowlords series. I never played
    > Dreamcatcher.

    I took a look at Shaodowlords and wasn't impressed too. Dreamcatcher was
    finished for me when I came to an area where a quick finger was more
    important than brain ;-)

    Hans

    Manky Badger wrote:
    > Been rooting round the Nevcerwinter Vault for a while
    > http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/moduleslist2.shtml - some are
    > good, others not so.
    >
    > What's anyone's recommendations for a good mod ?

    The two best series I have played was definately (in no particualer order):
    Shadowlords/Dreamcatcher series
    The Rogues Of Quinn series

    Guild Wars was also pretty good.

    Devast8or
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Leo Fellmann wrote:
    > | Rick Burton's paladin series, currently Twilight and Midnight (Dawn may
    > | never be finished because Burton hates some of the things that go on in
    > | the community)
    >
    > Eep! Didn't know that, what've people been saying?

    Burton is pretty disgusted by all the troll voting that goes on in the
    user ratings system. He also is one of the first to pipe up and condemn
    the review guild whenever they hand out a bad review. Personally, I
    think his ego has gotten the better of him; but, I can kind of
    understand his position as we all do this free of charge and our only
    "reward" is an atta-boy (or girl) or two.

    > | I am apparently one of only 10 people in the entire world that was not
    > | impressed by Adam Miller's Shadowlords series. I never played
    > Dreamcatcher.
    >
    > Well, they were some of the first modules, so the Shadowlords series
    > does look a bit rough by todays standards. OTOH the Dreamcatcher series
    > is far more polished.

    Well, I played them right when they first came out and still found them
    to be lacking in several areas. Due to the bad taste they left in my
    mouth, I haven't allocated any time to DC yet.
    --
    Barry Scott Will
    Pyric RPG Publications

    Hans Wein wrote:

    > Barry Scott Will wrote:
    >

    >>I like Stefan Gagne's Penultima series (both of them)

    I played through both of these, and though they are very clever they
    were a bit tiresome by the end. I didn't like how almost all of the
    creatures were renamed to some bizarre name, and there was too much
    talking for my liking. (I've found that when playing multiplayer, I'm
    less inclined to wade through all the dialogue - it just slows things
    down too much when playing with others).

    [snip]

    >>I am apparently one of only 10 people in the entire world that was not
    >>impressed by Adam Miller's Shadowlords series. I never played
    >>Dreamcatcher.
    >

    > I took a look at Shaodowlords and wasn't impressed too. Dreamcatcher was
    > finished for me when I came to an area where a quick finger was more
    > important than brain ;-)
    >
    > Hans

    Our group has just started playing Shadowlords and we finished the first
    module last night. We're all enjoying it so far :)

    - Stoobie.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Capn Stoobie wrote:
    > Our group has just started playing Shadowlords and we finished the first
    > module last night. We're all enjoying it so far :)

    Multiplayer can make a big difference. I play SP almost exclusively (I
    occasionally visit a PW); and, in SP, I found Shadowlords to be way too
    much "PnP" style. You walk into an empty room and text pops up
    describing the room.

    Whoopee.

    There were other things I disliked, but that was the biggest annoyance.
    Perhaps Miller has gotten better at actually visually filling the spaces
    rather than just handing out "verbal" descriptions as though you're
    playing tabletop D&D.
    --
    Barry Scott Will
    Pyric RPG Publications

    "Devast8or" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:<cgui2c$10dr$1@news.cybercity.dk>...
    > Manky Badger wrote:
    > > Been rooting round the Nevcerwinter Vault for a while
    > > http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/moduleslist2.shtml - some are
    > > good, others not so.
    > >
    > > What's anyone's recommendations for a good mod ?
    >
    > The two best series I have played was definately (in no particualer order):
    > Shadowlords/Dreamcatcher series

    I liked those as well, but I'm easy to please and always remember that
    the writers do this stuff as a hobby - free to users! And I always
    play single player.

    One of my favorites was Cormyrean Nights, partly because *minor
    spoiler ahead* starting out the game unconscious and in jail reminds
    me so much of old-school PnP DND.

    The Harper's Tale stuff was enjoyable overall.

    one that I'm currently playing and enjoying is the Infernal Crown
    series, which requires the player be neutral or evil.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Anonymous Jack wrote:
    > One of my favorites was Cormyrean Nights, partly because *minor
    > spoiler ahead* starting out the game unconscious and in jail reminds
    > me so much of old-school PnP DND.

    Reminds me of college.
    --
    My NWN Work So Far: http://tinyurl.com/6xy2f
    "Pits of red smoke and fog are usually bad."

    Barry> Manky Badger wrote:
    >> What's anyone's recommendations for a good mod ?

    Barry> I like Stefan Gagne's Penultima series (both of them) The
    Barry> Harper's Tale series by Dave Mason Rick Burton's paladin
    Barry> series, currently Twilight and Midnight (Dawn may never be
    Barry> finished because Burton hates some of the things that go on
    Barry> in the community)

    Barry> I am apparently one of only 10 people in the entire world
    Barry> that was not impressed by Adam Miller's Shadowlords
    Barry> series. I never played Dreamcatcher.

    The penultima series is indeed very good, but the best of S. Gagne is,
    IMO, Elegia Eternum, and more than that, Excrucio Eternum.
    The latter is superb, and I'm just waiting for the last of the
    trilogy.

    --

    Herve Regad-Pellagru

    BFI: /B-F-I/ n. See brute_force_and_ignorance. Also encountered in
    the variants `BFMI', `brute force and *massive* ignorance' and `BFBI'
    `brute force and bloody ignorance'.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 19:22:04 GMT, Barry Scott Will
    <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote:

    >Rick Burton's paladin series, currently Twilight and Midnigh

    I couldn't get through Twilight's first training time trials without
    finding it incredibly frustrating. Then after I finally got through
    it, there was a special "Grand Time Trial" that was almost the exact
    same time trial as the first, only THREE TIMES BIGGER. Easily the
    least fun NWN mod I've played.

    -worm
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Personally my favorite mod isnt one thats available fro download.
    Neversummer has been my full time addiction for the last 2 years, with the
    Neversummer4 beta in progress it truly shows where bioware dropped the ball
    and how to fix it without having the annoyance of hunting down random hak
    paks.

    But hey, thats just me.

    "Manky Badger" <spam@puritanDOTfreeserve.FULLSTOPcoSPOTuk> wrote in message
    > Been rooting round the Nevcerwinter Vault for a while
    > http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/moduleslist2.shtml - some are good,
    > others not so.
    >
    > What's anyone's recommendations for a good mod ?

  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Azerthoth" <thelorddragon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Personally my favorite mod isnt one thats available fro download.
    > Neversummer has been my full time addiction for the last 2 years, with the
    > Neversummer4 beta in progress it truly shows where bioware dropped the
    ball
    > and how to fix it without having the annoyance of hunting down random hak
    > paks.
    >
    > But hey, thats just me.

    Dropped the ball on what?
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Insane Ranter" <spam@not.me> wrote in message news:<Noa0d.114017$_h.11706@bignews3.bellsouth.net>...
    > "Azerthoth" <thelorddragon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Personally my favorite mod isnt one thats available fro download.
    > > Neversummer has been my full time addiction for the last 2 years, with the
    > > Neversummer4 beta in progress it truly shows where bioware dropped the
    > ball
    > > and how to fix it without having the annoyance of hunting down random hak
    > > paks.
    >
    > Dropped the ball on what?

    And how did you get Neversummer if it isn't available for download?
    Is this your own project that you'll try to distribute later?
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    The list of what Bioware truly dropped the ball on runs a wide gamut, from
    spell stacking issues, application and implentation of cleric domain level
    spells, the inclusion of over powered and unbalancing feats such as dev
    crit, the poor implenentation of Hide in Plain Sight. The fact that many AC
    modifiers that are applicable and listed as seperate modifiers are in
    actuallity lumped in under the same modifier which means its capped and not
    wholly cumulative. AI responses that are counterintuitive to any form of
    challenging game play. The list goes on and on.

    But by far the buggiest feature in the whole system is the DM client, which
    drops data while in game, loads too much initial data on load up, and will
    crash at the drop of a hat under a myraid of circumstances.

    I could go on for a long time on where Bioware has dropped the ball, but I'm
    out of time sor this sitting.
    "Insane Ranter" <spam@not.me> wrote in message

    > "Azerthoth" <thelorddragon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Personally my favorite mod isnt one thats available fro download.
    >> Neversummer has been my full time addiction for the last 2 years, with
    >> the
    >> Neversummer4 beta in progress it truly shows where bioware dropped the
    > ball
    >> and how to fix it without having the annoyance of hunting down random hak
    >> paks.
    >>
    >> But hey, thats just me.
    >
    > Dropped the ball on what?

  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Anonymous Jack wrote:
    > And how did you get Neversummer if it isn't available for download?
    > Is this your own project that you'll try to distribute later?

    It's a persistent world.

    http://www.nsrealm.com/

    --
    Barry Scott Will
    Pyric RPG Publications

    > The list of what Bioware truly dropped the ball on runs a wide gamut, from
    > spell stacking issues, application and implentation of cleric domain level
    > spells, the inclusion of over powered and unbalancing feats such as dev
    > crit, the poor implenentation of Hide in Plain Sight. The fact that many
    AC
    > modifiers that are applicable and listed as seperate modifiers are in
    > actuallity lumped in under the same modifier which means its capped and
    not
    > wholly cumulative. AI responses that are counterintuitive to any form of
    > challenging game play. The list goes on and on.
    >
    > But by far the buggiest feature in the whole system is the DM client,
    which
    > drops data while in game, loads too much initial data on load up, and will
    > crash at the drop of a hat under a myraid of circumstances.
    >
    > I could go on for a long time on where Bioware has dropped the ball, but
    I'm
    > out of time sor this sitting.

    The AC modifer thing is a pen n paper issue not bioware really... spell
    stacking well maybe a scroll takes up that much space in a container? The
    feats are mostly straight from pen and paper... blame Wizards not Bioware
    for those
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Barry Scott Will wrote:<CCm0d.68180$3l3.34086@attbi_s03>...
    > Anonymous Jack wrote:
    > > And how did you get Neversummer if it isn't available for download?
    > > Is this your own project that you'll try to distribute later?
    >
    > It's a persistent world.

    Ahhh... I see. Thanks, so it's not actually a mod. Confused me a bit,
    when Azertoth said his favorit mod was not available for download :-)
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Anonymous Jack" <alordofchaos@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Barry Scott Will wrote:<CCm0d.68180$3l3.34086@attbi_s03>...
    >> Anonymous Jack wrote:
    >> > And how did you get Neversummer if it isn't available for download?
    >> > Is this your own project that you'll try to distribute later?
    >>
    >> It's a persistent world.
    >
    > Ahhh... I see. Thanks, so it's not actually a mod. Confused me a bit,
    > when Azertoth said his favorit mod was not available for download :-)

    So what's the difference between a persistent world and a mod ?
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Manky Badger wrote:
    > So what's the difference between a persistent world and a mod ?

    A module is any adventure written for the Aurora (NWN) engine. A PW is a
    module that only runs on a dedicated server and is not downloaded
    directly to the client's machine.
    --
    Barry Scott Will
    Pyric RPG Publications