Redirect My Documents

I have very recently migrated from an NT40 domain to Windows 2003 and
AD. I have been implementing some basic group policies successfully so
far. The next thing I'd like to do is to redirect everyone's 'My
Documents' folder, but I have concerns.

I am proposing to redirect the folder to the users' home drives. These
are stored on a server partition to which I've applied user disk
quotas. The current quota is 500 Meg. What would happen if I implement
a policy to move and redirect 'My Documents' to this drive, and the
size of the user's 'My Documents' exceeds the remaining quota space?
Would the move fail halfway through? Would the move complete, and the
user would simply be denied more space? Would the move fail to take
place with a warning? Would the 'My Documents' folder be redirected,
but existing documents remain in the local 'My Documents' folder? If
so, would this folder still be labeled 'My Documents?

What would happen if the user already had moved 'My Documents' to the
home drive location? Would it simply stay?

I anticipate that as many as 10% of my users may have more than 500
Meg in 'My Documents.' Others may have little or nothing.
1 answer Last reply
More about redirect documents

    Hello,
    If you set an NTFS Quota for users on the partition you redirect my
    documents to, they will be effected as well and move can't continue when the
    user running out of space against the quota limit. How ever profile quota
    dose not apply since we have redirected the my documents out of the profile.

    Folder redirection moves content to the server if any local content exists
    for the user of the redirected folder.

    UserA may logon to computerA, there old data is saved in C:\Documents and
    Settings\UserA\My Documents.

    This contents will move into the My Documents at the server then.

    --
    Regards
    Christoffer Andersson

    "Jonathan Shapiro" <jshapiro@morrisjohnson.com> skrev i meddelandet
    >I have very recently migrated from an NT40 domain to Windows 2003 and
    > AD. I have been implementing some basic group policies successfully so
    > far. The next thing I'd like to do is to redirect everyone's 'My
    > Documents' folder, but I have concerns.
    >
    > I am proposing to redirect the folder to the users' home drives. These
    > are stored on a server partition to which I've applied user disk
    > quotas. The current quota is 500 Meg. What would happen if I implement
    > a policy to move and redirect 'My Documents' to this drive, and the
    > size of the user's 'My Documents' exceeds the remaining quota space?
    > Would the move fail halfway through? Would the move complete, and the
    > user would simply be denied more space? Would the move fail to take
    > place with a warning? Would the 'My Documents' folder be redirected,
    > but existing documents remain in the local 'My Documents' folder? If
    > so, would this folder still be labeled 'My Documents?
    >
    > What would happen if the user already had moved 'My Documents' to the
    > home drive location? Would it simply stay?
    >
    > I anticipate that as many as 10% of my users may have more than 500
    > Meg in 'My Documents.' Others may have little or nothing.

Policy Windows Server 2003 My Documents Windows