thelastniceguylee

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
Hey so my system specs are

2 GB of DD R 2 566
Pentium D at 3.4 GHZ
X1900 GT ATI Radeon card
500 GB HD space

Call of duty 2 used to run at like 60 frames a sec or 120. I updated the ATi driver and forgot to remove the the previously installed ones and i did a full install. it screwed up some one told me that i had to remove the drivers b4 installing so i did ,but still i am getting reduced performance. b4 the game was set a full settings and ran properly now it going at 5 frames a sec and other programs i ran like 3d mark 2005 gave me like 10 frames a sec too. i tried the omega drivers and they didn't work. is my card fried? cause i recently got my score back from 3d mark 05 and it gave me a 3995 when the score are usually around 6000 or 5000 for that benchmark
HELP!!

thelastniceguylee

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
use a driver cleaning tool (google it) and then reinstall the drivers again

yeah i tried it and i cant find a the right program i used driver cleaner and it removed all the ati files and i reinstalled the ati drivers and the same problem occurs.
could it be a directx 9 pro lem what if i accidentally installed direct x 9 over it self again? probably a stupid question sry

Bloated

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
you went from 60 - 120 frames per second to 5 and your 3dmark went from 5000 - 6000 down to 4000....

ok first let's cut the bullshit were you getting 60fps or were you getting 120fpps... and was your 3dmark score 5000 or 6000?..... 3dmark scores don't fluctuate that widely so let's seriously cut the shit..... besides going from 60 to 5fps is considerably more than a 1000 point drop in 3dmark....

my guess would be you have a software conflict or more notably some additional software running in the background that is gobbling up CPU resources.... I rarely if ever, allow me to be more concise about 1 time in 20 do I ever remove the previous ATI video driver before updating them... ATI has specifically included an un-installing feature to their drivers long ago to address this precise concern..... I currently own an X1800 XT and an X1900 XTX along with an AGP X700 pro and my previous cards were an X800GTO and an X1300 all in wonder and those were just my last 4 computers....

following an update it takes Net Framework a minute or so to sort out issues with the driver, personally I hate net and didn't allow my video cards to use it until I got the X1800 series and X1900 XTX that said it has worked fine for me so far albeit at the cost of 100mb's of additional ram useage for what I deem no particularily valid reason..... that said if you were planning on running COD2 immediately after the restart you were wrong and you should have granted Net some time to stabilise things..... this is mentioned following an updated driver install that the driver will initialise itself upon the next restart so give it the time.

all of this said try this although I don't believe you should have to.

update your motherboards chipset drivers, then re-install direct X, then defragment and restart, then re-install your X1900 drivers from scratch.

this shouldn't be causing a problem and I'm basically reccomending a shotgun approach to a single issue hoping you will hit it.

p.s. Avivo drivers rarely cause but have been known to require a patch in some games to run properly affecting intro video's on occasion albeit rarely, check the COD2 forums to see.

and lastly if your video drivers are running flawless and the game is running glass smooth at 60-120 frames per second then don't screw with your video drivers.... the analogy if it aint broke don't fix it applies perfectly.

and no a bad video driver will not affect your hardware or cause permanent damage the hardware either performs the task or fails to perform the task.