My previous FAX problem and Conexant Modem

Not long ago, we went through discussions involving Smith
Micro HotFax and its failure to find the phone line via
Conexant Soft56K Modem. The problem was solved by
uninstalling that modem (which used to work before SP2)
and letting Windows find and install a modem.

It is an interesting afterthought on this problem to note
that Windows Update recently added a patch, specifically
labeled........"Conexant SOFT56K Modem........"
--
William B. Lurie

Any hardware drivers that are included in WU have been supplied by sources
outside of Microsoft..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Any hardware drivers that are included in WU have been supplied by sources
> outside of Microsoft..

That's interesting and not surprising, Mike.....I went through a
lot of headache trying to pin down what turned out to be the
incompatibility between the Conexant drivers that worked with SP1
and SP2. Too bad Conexant didn't get on the ball six months
earlier....but as we saw from some MVP comments here, not a
surprise. And the Conexant website, which one might have expected
to show the conflict and solution......didn't.

--
William B. Lurie

Bill

You would not believe how many Conexant versions exist.. the company
produces for many OEM makes, and all are different..

I will not buy a computer product unless the company has a website that
provides proper support.. the policy has worked well so far..

--

Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Bill
>
> You would not believe how many Conexant versions exist.. the company
> produces for many OEM makes, and all are different..
>
> I will not buy a computer product unless the company has a website that
> provides proper support.. the policy has worked well so far..

Mike, I prefer not to build my own PCs. So I scan the major parts
but this one came with that modem and I wouldn't have been educated
enough to reject it. That said......probably I could have switched
to the onboard V.92 modem as soon as modem trouble appeared, but I
searched elsewhere. For a change, Microsoft gets a pat on the back
for having the modem on board. But then again, altho' the OEM didn't
install the XP FAX capability, the V.92 modem was there for it.

--
William B. Lurie