web based news groups

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Does anybody else use the web based newsgroups here? I
don't think they are very helpful at all. They are slow,
difficult to navigate, I've signed in, but my username
and information is not inserted when I post. I mean
google groups is easier than Technet newsgroups and these
are Microsoft's newsgroups. Go figure.

When I started using the News Groups ( mostly this one, the Setup and the
Exchange 2000 Admin ) I used the web based reader provided by MS. It was a
bit tedious following all of the strings but if it is important to you then
you will figure out a way to get it done.

I then got smarter and started using Outlook Express. Much better and
easier than the web based client. There are other news group readers that
are available as well.

I am just happy that MS put the news groups into play and that they (
Microsoft ) offer a free service. Think of all the money that we save
people - not to mention the most important thing: the knowledge that
everyone gains from reading and answering questions. There are some really
great discussions in here....

So, it is free and you are getting what you paid for ( in terms of the web
based reader ). It could be a lot worse, though. And, like I said, if it
is important to you then you will make it work.

Cary

<jason@bryan.edu> wrote in message
> Does anybody else use the web based newsgroups here? I
> don't think they are very helpful at all. They are slow,
> difficult to navigate, I've signed in, but my username
> and information is not inserted when I post. I mean
> google groups is easier than Technet newsgroups and these
> are Microsoft's newsgroups. Go figure.

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

OK Thanks Cary. I am making it work. I just figured
that MS has all those wonderful programmers and they
could put them to good work making a simplified and
efficient web-based newsgroup web site. I'm sure that
have lots of other more important things to do. I
figured that since they revamped the whole Technet site
that they could have done the newsgroups as well.

I've tried using OE for newsgroups and I didn't like it
very much at all.

I guess I'm just stuck.

Perhaps Jason may be able to come up with a better model for what the web
groups should look like and behave like. Microsoft may take a look at it
and put it on a list of programming work to do. But then again, being that
this is a 'free' thing, they probably feel it's good enough as is. I do
know there are 2 versions of the web based 'reader'... i saw a noticeable
difference between the view I used at work and the one I used at home. Now
I just use OE to read, and I find the interface familiar (behaves almost
exactly like Outlook, so I'm a happy camper) and easy to use.

Good luck in acclimating yourself!

Ken :)

"jason" <jason@bryan.edu> wrote in message
> OK Thanks Cary. I am making it work. I just figured
> that MS has all those wonderful programmers and they
> could put them to good work making a simplified and
> efficient web-based newsgroup web site. I'm sure that
> have lots of other more important things to do. I
> figured that since they revamped the whole Technet site
> that they could have done the newsgroups as well.
>
> I've tried using OE for newsgroups and I didn't like it
> very much at all.
>
> I guess I'm just stuck.

Hi Jason,

Thank you for the feedback about Microsoft Newsgroup. I have forward your
comments to the appropriate team. I am sure it will help our development
team in their consideration for future Newgroup design.

Have a nice day!

Regards,
Bob Qin
Microsoft Online Partner Support