Account Policies

Miles

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004

I have had some problems with group policies and
espesially account policies every since I started using
Windows XP SP2 on my Admin workstation. To make a long
story short, I deleted and recreated all my GPOs
including the Default Domain Policy. Everything is
working greatexcept account policies. I'm assuming after
reading some MS knowledge articles and some post from
this newgroup that I no longer have a true Default Domain
policy, even though that is what I called the new one.
Is there a way to force W2K/AD to recognize the policy I
created as the original Default Domain Policy?

Thanks,
Miles

Take a look at the recreatedefpol.exe tool from Microsoft at the link below. It may
help you get your policy back. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b5b685ae-b7dd-4bb5-ab2a-976d6873129d&DisplayLang=en

"Miles" <miles.smith@vita.virginia.gov> wrote in message
>I have had some problems with group policies and
> espesially account policies every since I started using
> Windows XP SP2 on my Admin workstation. To make a long
> story short, I deleted and recreated all my GPOs
> including the Default Domain Policy. Everything is
> working greatexcept account policies. I'm assuming after
> reading some MS knowledge articles and some post from
> this newgroup that I no longer have a true Default Domain
> policy, even though that is what I called the new one.
> Is there a way to force W2K/AD to recognize the policy I
> created as the original Default Domain Policy?
>
> Thanks,
> Miles

Miles

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004

So far so good. I ran the tool and it looks like it
created the Default Doamin and Controller policies
folders/files in the sysvol\domains\policies folder.
However, when I open the Group Policy editor I do not see
the new policy. Is there a way to create a link from GP
editor to the new policy files?

Thanks for your help.
Miles

Hi Miles

Unfortunately not. Your best bet is to log a case with PSS so that they can
assist you in re-creating the correct DDP.

Kind regards
--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]
Windows Platform Support Team

"Miles" <miles.smith@vita.virginia.gov> wrote in message
>I have had some problems with group policies and
> espesially account policies every since I started using
> Windows XP SP2 on my Admin workstation. To make a long
> story short, I deleted and recreated all my GPOs
> including the Default Domain Policy. Everything is
> working greatexcept account policies. I'm assuming after
> reading some MS knowledge articles and some post from
> this newgroup that I no longer have a true Default Domain
> policy, even though that is what I called the new one.
> Is there a way to force W2K/AD to recognize the policy I
> created as the original Default Domain Policy?
>
> Thanks,
> Miles

Note that it is " a tool of last resort" which means it may not have a 100 percent
success rate. What happens when you try to open Domain Security Policy? Do you get an
error message or just hangs? You might want to reboot the domain controller if you
have not done such and look in Event Viewer for any pertinent errors that may provide
a clue. When you go to the domain container in AD Users and Computers and select
properties/Group Policy it should be there. I ran it only ran it once on a test
computer. An authoritative restore of Active Directory from a copy of the System
State for a domain controller before you deleted your original policies may be
another way to repair your policies. --- Steve

> So far so good. I ran the tool and it looks like it
> created the Default Doamin and Controller policies
> folders/files in the sysvol\domains\policies folder.
> However, when I open the Group Policy editor I do not see
> the new policy. Is there a way to create a link from GP
> editor to the new policy files?
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Miles

Miles

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004

I guess I put too much faith in Microsoft's
instructions. They said just logoff and back on as the
user which you wanted to be the EFS Recovery agent.
However, in my case it took the suggested reboot. After
that I was able to go into ADUC, Domain/properties/Group
Policies and select the "Add" button, then select the All
tab and there were the two newly created policies.

I hope I'm in good shape now. Many thanks to you.

Miles

Nice one Steven

Didn't realise that had been released as a downloadable tool.

Cheers