How to automate local group policy for startup/shutdown sc..

My scenario:

I need to run a program or a script that will implement the startup
and shutdown scripts functionality found in group policy (acutally, I
just need to have scripts that will run on system startup and shutdown
and I assume this is the best way to do that; correct me if there is
an easier way, please). There is no Active Directory, so this is
local group policy and it needs to be hands off--in other words,
bringing up gpedit.msc and pointing and clicking around is not
feasible.

Things I have tried:

I have experiemented with getting one system the way I want and then
copying over various files in the %windows%\system32\grouppolicy
directory tree to another system. I have not had much luck doing
this. By moving over or overwriting the scripts.ini file I was able
to "see" the script that I wanted to run, but they did not actually
run at startup or shutdown. (I did have the script in place). I have
tried moving a registry.pol file over, but I do not really know what
is in that file, whether it has my changes or how it is "loaded" on
the new system.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Scott Felt
2 answers Last reply
More about automate local group policy startup shutdown

    Scott-
    You're on the right track. You definitely need to copy the script to
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\GroupPolicy\Machine\Scripts\Startup (or refer to it
    elsewhere) and then you need scripts.ini in the Scripts folder. But you also
    need to ensure that the GPT.INI file in the c:\windows\system32\grouppolicy
    folder has a version number that is greater than 0. Take a look at that file
    and, if its zero, increment it by 1.

    --
    Darren Mar-Elia
    MS-MVP-Windows Management

    On 14 Sep 2004 13:05:56 -0700, sfelt1848@msn.com (Scott Felt) wrote:

    >My scenario:
    >
    >I need to run a program or a script that will implement the startup
    >and shutdown scripts functionality found in group policy (acutally, I
    >just need to have scripts that will run on system startup and shutdown
    >and I assume this is the best way to do that; correct me if there is
    >an easier way, please). There is no Active Directory, so this is
    >local group policy and it needs to be hands off--in other words,
    >bringing up gpedit.msc and pointing and clicking around is not
    >feasible.
    >
    >Things I have tried:
    >
    >I have experiemented with getting one system the way I want and then
    >copying over various files in the %windows%\system32\grouppolicy
    >directory tree to another system. I have not had much luck doing
    >this. By moving over or overwriting the scripts.ini file I was able
    >to "see" the script that I wanted to run, but they did not actually
    >run at startup or shutdown. (I did have the script in place). I have
    >tried moving a registry.pol file over, but I do not really know what
    >is in that file, whether it has my changes or how it is "loaded" on
    >the new system.
    >
    >Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    >
    >Scott Felt

    See tip 3612 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

    Jerold Schulman
    Windows: General MVP