Windows Installer Package Installation Order

JJ

What determines the order of installation of Windows Installer Packages
(.MSIs) that are being installed via Group Policy?
--
Thanks
JJ

Hey JJ-

It should be the policy order (on the Group Policy tab) (say you have GPO#1,
GPO#2) each with an MSI or 2 in the software installation settings... then
do the software packages per policy.

So your order of precedence should be:
GPO#1 - Package 1
GPO#1 - Package 2
GPO#1 - Package 3 (etc.)
GPO#2 - Package 1
GPO#2 - Package 2 (and so on and so on)

.... at least I'm pretty sure

HTH

Ken

"JJ" <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What determines the order of installation of Windows Installer Packages
> (.MSIs) that are being installed via Group Policy?
> --
> Thanks
> JJ

JJ

What determines the MSI package order within the same GPO. It does not
appear to be alphabetical. While it might be the order they are entered,
where is this information stored to allow for that order to be changed.

"Ken B" wrote:

> Hey JJ-
>
> It should be the policy order (on the Group Policy tab) (say you have GPO#1,
> GPO#2) each with an MSI or 2 in the software installation settings... then
> do the software packages per policy.
>
> So your order of precedence should be:
> GPO#1 - Package 1
> GPO#1 - Package 2
> GPO#1 - Package 3 (etc.)
> GPO#2 - Package 1
> GPO#2 - Package 2 (and so on and so on)
>
> .... at least I'm pretty sure
>
> HTH
>
> Ken
>

> "JJ" <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > What determines the order of installation of Windows Installer Packages
> > (.MSIs) that are being installed via Group Policy?
> > --
> > Thanks
> > JJ

I believe within the policies, it's just the order entered.

I myself use a separate policy object for each piece of software I want to
roll out... this way, down the road I can install Office quadzillion without
having to install Office 2000, XP, 2003, 2008, etc.. all before my
'ultimate' result.... I'm free to remove the policy any time I would like
without having to re-create policies for other software packages included in
one big policy.

I would also think it's easier to order GP objects than to try to remember
that XYZ policy installs Office & Acrobat, ABC installs your home-grown app,
etc. Just one software per policy is what I've been doing, and it seems to
work. (also allows for testing and easy deletion of policies that don't
work as expected)

> What determines the MSI package order within the same GPO. It does not
> appear to be alphabetical. While it might be the order they are entered,
> where is this information stored to allow for that order to be changed.
>
> "Ken B" wrote:
>
> > Hey JJ-
> >
> > It should be the policy order (on the Group Policy tab) (say you have
GPO#1,
> > GPO#2) each with an MSI or 2 in the software installation settings...
then
> > do the software packages per policy.
> >
> > So your order of precedence should be:
> > GPO#1 - Package 1
> > GPO#1 - Package 2
> > GPO#1 - Package 3 (etc.)
> > GPO#2 - Package 1
> > GPO#2 - Package 2 (and so on and so on)
> >
> > .... at least I'm pretty sure
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Ken
> >

> > "JJ" <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > What determines the order of installation of Windows Installer
Packages
> > > (.MSIs) that are being installed via Group Policy?
> > > --
> > > Thanks
> > > JJ

JJ,

There are a couple of things to this.

The first is that there is a very definite pecking order to the processing
of GPOs. Please remember that computer side GPOs are processed at bootup
( according to first local, second Site, third domain, forth OU and then
fifth sub-OU ) and that then the user side GPOs are processed at user logon
( according to the same pecking order as for the computer side ).....

Now, what does this mean? It means that upon bootup the computer is going
to determine in what Site it is located and in what Domain it is located and
in what OU it is located. It is going to process any GPOs linked to the
Site level, will then process any GPOs that are linked to the Domain level
and finally will process any GPOs that are linked to the OU level. Then,
once the user logs on the same process is followed. So, let's look at the
computer side for a second. If there is a setting that is in a local GPO
that conflicts with a setting that is in a Site level GPO the Site Level
setting wins! And, should that same setting be set at the Domain level that
conflicts with the setting at the Site level then the Domain level setting
wins. Same for the OU level setting!

Secondly, this is all fine and jolly if you have but one GPO at any given
level. What happens if you have multiple GPOs that are linked to the same
OU? What is the order of processing in this case? Well, the GPO listed at
the bottom is processed, then the one directly above that is processed, etc.
etc. etc. Finally, the one that is listed at the top is processed last.
Again, any setting from a lower GPO is 'trumped' by the setting at the
higher GPO. So, the one on the bottom is processed first and the one on the
top is processed last.

HTH,

Cary

"JJ" <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What determines the order of installation of Windows Installer Packages
> (.MSIs) that are being installed via Group Policy?
> --
> Thanks
> JJ

JJ

Thanks for your input. Specifically, I am wondering is it strictly the order
entered in which the .MSIs are applied within a single GPO?

"Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" wrote:

> JJ,
>
> There are a couple of things to this.
>
> The first is that there is a very definite pecking order to the processing
> of GPOs. Please remember that computer side GPOs are processed at bootup
> ( according to first local, second Site, third domain, forth OU and then
> fifth sub-OU ) and that then the user side GPOs are processed at user logon
> ( according to the same pecking order as for the computer side ).....
>
> Now, what does this mean? It means that upon bootup the computer is going
> to determine in what Site it is located and in what Domain it is located and
> in what OU it is located. It is going to process any GPOs linked to the
> Site level, will then process any GPOs that are linked to the Domain level
> and finally will process any GPOs that are linked to the OU level. Then,
> once the user logs on the same process is followed. So, let's look at the
> computer side for a second. If there is a setting that is in a local GPO
> that conflicts with a setting that is in a Site level GPO the Site Level
> setting wins! And, should that same setting be set at the Domain level that
> conflicts with the setting at the Site level then the Domain level setting
> wins. Same for the OU level setting!
>
> Secondly, this is all fine and jolly if you have but one GPO at any given
> level. What happens if you have multiple GPOs that are linked to the same
> OU? What is the order of processing in this case? Well, the GPO listed at
> the bottom is processed, then the one directly above that is processed, etc.
> etc. etc. Finally, the one that is listed at the top is processed last.
> Again, any setting from a lower GPO is 'trumped' by the setting at the
> higher GPO. So, the one on the bottom is processed first and the one on the
> top is processed last.
>
> HTH,
>
> Cary
>
> "JJ" <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > What determines the order of installation of Windows Installer Packages
> > (.MSIs) that are being installed via Group Policy?
> > --
> > Thanks
> > JJ

JJ,

I am not sure that I understand your question. What do you mean "MSIs are
applied within a single GPO?"? This implies that you are creating a single
GPO but are including multiple software applications within that one
package. I am not sure that it works this way. I have never tried it. I
have never thought to try that!

Is this what you are doing? Is this what is behind your question?

Cary

> Thanks for your input. Specifically, I am wondering is it strictly the
order
> entered in which the .MSIs are applied within a single GPO?
>

> "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" wrote:
>
> > JJ,
> >
> > There are a couple of things to this.
> >
> > The first is that there is a very definite pecking order to the
processing
> > of GPOs. Please remember that computer side GPOs are processed at
bootup
> > ( according to first local, second Site, third domain, forth OU and then
> > fifth sub-OU ) and that then the user side GPOs are processed at user
logon
> > ( according to the same pecking order as for the computer side ).....
> >
> > Now, what does this mean? It means that upon bootup the computer is
going
> > to determine in what Site it is located and in what Domain it is located
and
> > in what OU it is located. It is going to process any GPOs linked to the
> > Site level, will then process any GPOs that are linked to the Domain
level
> > and finally will process any GPOs that are linked to the OU level.
Then,
> > once the user logs on the same process is followed. So, let's look at
the
> > computer side for a second. If there is a setting that is in a local
GPO
> > that conflicts with a setting that is in a Site level GPO the Site Level
> > setting wins! And, should that same setting be set at the Domain level
that
> > conflicts with the setting at the Site level then the Domain level
setting
> > wins. Same for the OU level setting!
> >
> > Secondly, this is all fine and jolly if you have but one GPO at any
given
> > level. What happens if you have multiple GPOs that are linked to the
same
> > OU? What is the order of processing in this case? Well, the GPO listed
at
> > the bottom is processed, then the one directly above that is processed,
etc.
> > etc. etc. Finally, the one that is listed at the top is processed last.
> > Again, any setting from a lower GPO is 'trumped' by the setting at the
> > higher GPO. So, the one on the bottom is processed first and the one on
the
> > top is processed last.
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > Cary
> >
> > "JJ" <JJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > What determines the order of installation of Windows Installer
Packages
> > > (.MSIs) that are being installed via Group Policy?
> > > --
> > > Thanks
> > > JJ

JJ

I hope that I have not introduced confusion. I will try to explain what I
have done.

I am using Windows 2000 Advanced Server with Windows 2000 clients. I have
created a linked Group Policy Object to an OU that contains the PCs that I
want the software packages to be installed. This linked Group Policy Object
contains the Software Installation packages. Currently there are about 15
listed Assigned Software Installation packages (MSIs). I am wondering what
controls the order of installation of these Software Installation Packages.

I have understood that Microsoft has recommended limiting the number of GPOs
to reduce the impact to performance. Therefore, I have utilized this
approach as an effort to reduce the number of GPOs.

Thanks,
JJ