alishaan

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I had ASUS P4PE motherboard working fine for few years, but few weeks back it went dead. One of my friend had ASUS P4PE-X, so i figured if i buy new MB then i had to reinstall all the drivers or worst reinstall windows. I got the ASUS P4PE-X and installed in my system and the system started fine. The only issue i have now is that USB 2.0 is not working, it only works in USB 1.1 mode and sometimes not even that. Sometimes when i insert any USB 2.0 device it gives a message "USB Device not Recognized, one of the USB devies attached to this computer has malfunctioned etc..." Please advice.

System Config:
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz (Northwood)
MB : ASUS P4PE-X (previously ASUS P4PE)
MEM: 1 Gig

macawman

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
Go to your hardward device manager and see if you have listing for a 2.0 USB Enhanced host controller without an exclamation mark.
If the 2.0 driver is not there, download it from the Intel web site.

If you have a non OEM 2.0 PCI card inserted, use their 2.0 driver by loading the disk in the CD/DVD player with the exe. file open. Shut the computer down and let the OS find the exe. upon startup. Good Luck

alishaan

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Thanks for your response macawman. I checked in Device Manager and everything seems fine under USB Controllers. Below is the listing

-> Universal Serial Bus Controllers
-> Generic USB Hub
-> Intel PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
-> Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
-> Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
-> Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7
-> USB 2.0 Root Hub
-> USB Mass Storage Device
-> USB Root Hub
-> USB Root Hub
-> USB Root Hub

There is no 2.0 PCI Card on the MB. It's whatever MB came with.

OS - Windows XP SP2

Please advice...

Brutuz

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Did you try reinstalling the drivers?

and Usually Windows won't work with a new mobo...

Maybe you might need to reinstall windows, but I wouldn't think so....