Screen Saver Policy

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi,

I need help!

I have a Windows2000 Domain controller server has the
screen saver group policy enable.

now, want to take out the screen saver policy, I went into
the User Configuration -> Administratrive Templates ->
control Panel -> Display and changed the screen
savetimeout to not configured.

But still, the screen saver still active.

can you help me what is did I do wrong, or where else I
need to change.

Thanks in advance!

Jack

You need to configure the policy that the user logging into the domain controller is
within the scope of influence. If you logon as that user you can use the gpresult
support tool to see what user configuration GPO's are being applied to that users.
Using the /v switch will give much more detailed info and help you determine which
GPO is applying that policy. In addition it may have simply been configured via
Control Panel. Right click any blank desktop and select properties/screen saver and
you may be able to disable it there. Personally I think it is a good idea to use it
with a reasonable time setting. --- Steve

"jack" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I need help!
>
> I have a Windows2000 Domain controller server has the
> screen saver group policy enable.
>
> now, want to take out the screen saver policy, I went into
> the User Configuration -> Administratrive Templates ->
> control Panel -> Display and changed the screen
> savetimeout to not configured.
>
> But still, the screen saver still active.
>
> can you help me what is did I do wrong, or where else I
> need to change.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Jack

Thanks Steven,

It is not just the clien workstations have problem, even
the server itself has the same problem.

I right clicked on the blank desktop and selected
properties/screen saver AND set the waite time to 2 from
the original 15 min. THEN applied the setting, but after

I CAN set the screen saver to NONE

but I CAN NOT change the wait time minus from neither the
client workstation nor the serveritself.

I checked, the GPO that applied to the server is
1. local group policy
2. domain controllers policy
3. domain policy
4. domain controllers policy

Help please.

Thanks

Jack

Hello Jack,

do this:
-go to GP User Configuration -> Administratrive Templates -> control Panel
-> Display and instead of changing it to "not configured" change it to
"disable" then refresh policy by running secedit /refreshpolicy USER_POLICY
-log out then log in to the client make sure that "disabled" got applied,
then change to "not configured" ... should work
if does work then ignore question below..

Is there any other options configured in User Configuration ->
Administratrive Templates -> control Panel -> Display other then savetimeout
?

Rafal
"anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

> Thanks Steven,
>
> It is not just the clien workstations have problem, even
> the server itself has the same problem.
>
> I right clicked on the blank desktop and selected
> properties/screen saver AND set the waite time to 2 from
> the original 15 min. THEN applied the setting, but after
>
> I CAN set the screen saver to NONE
>
> but I CAN NOT change the wait time minus from neither the
> client workstation nor the serveritself.
>
> I checked, the GPO that applied to the server is
> 1. local group policy
> 2. domain controllers policy
> 3. domain policy
> 4. domain controllers policy
>
> Help please.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jack

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Thanks Rafal,

I have no problem with disable ScreenSaverTimeout... This
is working fine on all client workstations, but not on the
server itself.

After awhile, I changed the Screensavertimeout to NOT
Configured, but no computer take it (doesn't work on the
client, not work on the server) Even after couple times of
refreshing the user_policy .

All Policies under Control Panel\Display are NOT
Configured.

Why the Not configured doesn't work?

Jack

so, when you do disable screen saver timeout policy it works for everyone
but not the server itself, is that right? after applying "disable" policy and
refresfing it did you logout from server and the login again? if you didn't
then changes to policy will not apply to server, you have to log out and
login...

> After awhile, I changed the Screensavertimeout to NOT
> Configured, but no computer take it (doesn't work on the
> client, not work on the server) Even after couple times of
> refreshing the user_policy .

so, once "disable" policy applied fine to all clients, you change it to "not
configured" and after refreshing and loging out then logon ...still old
"disable" policy apply???

is this done on the root of domain? do you have any OUs with GP linked to
those?
have you modify default Gp in Domian Controllers container?
"block policy" or "do not override" checked somewhere?

Rafal