Recording from OTA HD tuner direct to PC hard drive via IE..

Last response: in Home Theatre
May 19, 2004 12:12:47 AM

I have an HDTV that has an over-the-air HD tuner built-in, this built
in tuner offers FireWire (IEEE 1394) in and out ports on the back. In
the owners manual they demonstrate the user of the FirePorts for
connecting a D-VHS deck (HD compatible digital VCR developed by JVC).

I have a IEEE 1394 adapter card in my WinXP PC, I use it to pull in
home videos from my DV-Camcorder. From what I've read the FireWire
standard on the TV is the identical to the card I have in my PC, so
how do I make them talk to one another? I'd like a program to record
HD content from the HD reciever on my PC (though firewire) without a
D-VHS deck, does anyone know if this is possible and if so what
software to use?

I'm also curious as to the difference in the IEEE 1394 implementation
for HDTV digital tuners vs the implementation in digital camcorders.
From what I've read of IEEE 1394 this is a standardized protocoil that
can send and recieve a series of commands, all IEEE 1394 devices
should support all of (or at least a subset of) these commands (that
would be the whole point of standardization), to that end it seems
that at least some of the video capture software out there should
support capturing HD. However, it seems JVC has their own
implementation for D-VHS that they've mapped over IEEE 1394 standards,
is this true? Are these standards published?

Sorry I know there are a lot of questions there.
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 2:26:11 AM

The problem is there is a handshake required to transfer the data. There is
software for the Apple computers already available. Check google, but I do
not think there is any software for the PC yet.

Richard R.

"Ramzey" <jeremy_deats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 393d1b1.0405181912.10612c8b@posting.google.com...
> I have an HDTV that has an over-the-air HD tuner built-in, this built
> in tuner offers FireWire (IEEE 1394) in and out ports on the back. In
> the owners manual they demonstrate the user of the FirePorts for
> connecting a D-VHS deck (HD compatible digital VCR developed by JVC).
>
> I have a IEEE 1394 adapter card in my WinXP PC, I use it to pull in
> home videos from my DV-Camcorder. From what I've read the FireWire
> standard on the TV is the identical to the card I have in my PC, so
> how do I make them talk to one another? I'd like a program to record
> HD content from the HD reciever on my PC (though firewire) without a
> D-VHS deck, does anyone know if this is possible and if so what
> software to use?
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 11:30:08 AM

On 2004-05-18 20:12:47 -0700, jeremy_deats@hotmail.com (Ramzey) said:

> I have a IEEE 1394 adapter card in my WinXP PC, I use it to pull in
> home videos from my DV-Camcorder. From what I've read the FireWire
> standard on the TV is the identical to the card I have in my PC, so
> how do I make them talk to one another? I'd like a program to record
> HD content from the HD reciever on my PC (though firewire) without a
> D-VHS deck, does anyone know if this is possible and if so what
> software to use?

Yes, it's the same FireWire jack, but you need something to emulate a
recording device that the TV understands and will want to handshake
with.

I record HDTV all the time, but on a Mac with VirtualDVHS. Google would
be your best bet for Windows; I'm not aware of anything offhand.

--
There are no monkeys in my email.
Anonymous

PC Mag had an article recently about using your PC like a TiVO. Not sure if
it includes HD, but you may want to take a look at:

FIF

!