Problem that needs to be solved

The Stealthinator

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
One thing I notice way to much on the forums, is the number of people who register to ask a question which they never bother to come back to, and a number of those same people post questions like (just an example):

MY COMPUTER IS NOT WORKING PLS HELLLLP!!!!

I have come across much more "spam" like this than actual questions that people come back to clarify about.

There should be a system where the thread (or account) gets deleted if the OP doesn't come back to post (or if the user doesn't login after a specified time) after other people have replied, and/or if no "Best answer is selected".

I think a few changes to improve this could be made in the new platform soon to be released.

Solution
If the Best Answer did more to benefit the Forum rather than just the recipient, it would be worth doing. I suggest that threads with a Best Answer should somehow be promoted in Google so that people who search for valid advice would be brought straight to Tom's and directly to the thread that was solved.

I'm note sure how it can be done or even if it can be done but I'm pretty certain it would enhance to Forum's reputation considerably.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
There's a discussion currently underway as to how we might reduce these unwanted extra posts. The new platform will have several elements that require more details on the part of the new user posting, in the way of minimum words and characters.

The Stealthinator

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
Also, there are so many people who don't bother to mark solved questions in their thread as best answer.

Maybe there can be a noticeable notice some where on the page which reminds people, because the mail notifications they recieve can he ignored.

If the Best Answer did more to benefit the Forum rather than just the recipient, it would be worth doing. I suggest that threads with a Best Answer should somehow be promoted in Google so that people who search for valid advice would be brought straight to Tom's and directly to the thread that was solved.

I'm note sure how it can be done or even if it can be done but I'm pretty certain it would enhance to Forum's reputation considerably.

Solution