Box pops up when I open IE, how to stop it?

When I start Internet Explorer or open a new window a box pops up with the
name of "skins". How can I get this box from popping up?
6 answers Last reply
More about pops open stop

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=827315

    Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

    3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Donna" wrote:

    | When I start Internet Explorer or open a new window a box pops up with the
    | name of "skins". How can I get this box from popping up?

    The box is a windows box. It is the "select a skin" box. I am thinking I
    accidentally clicked on something and made this happen. I remember I was
    looking at Themes, when this happened. I just don't know how to undo what I
    did? This is a new computer, is totally updated and firewalled and virus
    protected.

    Thanks Carey, but I think I am looking for a place to "unconnect" this box
    from my IE program.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=827315
    >
    > Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:
    > http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button
    >
    > Symantec Security Check
    > http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym
    >
    > Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en
    >
    > 3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    > "Donna" wrote:
    >
    > | When I start Internet Explorer or open a new window a box pops up with the
    > | name of "skins". How can I get this box from popping up?

    Download Ad-aware SE Personal as Carey suggested. It just looks like a
    "windows box."
    "Donna" <Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The box is a windows box. It is the "select a skin" box. I am thinking I
    > accidentally clicked on something and made this happen. I remember I was
    > looking at Themes, when this happened. I just don't know how to undo what
    > did? This is a new computer, is totally updated and firewalled and virus
    > protected.
    >
    > Thanks Carey, but I think I am looking for a place to "unconnect" this box
    > from my IE program.
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=827315
    >>
    >> Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:
    >> http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button
    >>
    >> Symantec Security Check
    >> http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym
    >>
    >> Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en
    >>
    >> 3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups
    >>
    >> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    >> "Donna" wrote:
    >>
    >> | When I start Internet Explorer or open a new window a box pops up with
    >> the
    >> | name of "skins". How can I get this box from popping up?

    Steps to remove the skin:

    1. Log into the User account that is experiencing the problem.
    2. Click on Start and Run.
    3. Type in regedit and click OK.
    4. Click on the plus next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
    5. Click on the plus next to Software.
    6. Click on the plus next to Microsoft.
    7. Click on the plus next to Internet Explorer.
    8. Click on Toolbar.

    This is the full key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
    Explorer\Toolbar

    Once Toolbar has been selected look at the right hand pane.

    There should be two entries for BackBitMap. One that deals with IE and the
    other
    for Shell (for windows explorer).

    At this point you can either delete both registry entries for BackBitMap and
    restart the computer or you can note the location of the bitmap images as
    well
    prior to deleting the entries. If you note the location and name of the
    bitmap
    images being used you can delete the bitmaps as well. Deleting the registry
    entries
    is enough as this will revert the toolbar back to the normal background
    "Donna" wrote:

    > When I start Internet Explorer or open a new window a box pops up with the
    > name of "skins". How can I get this box from popping up?

    I have this same issue -- pop-up box asking for skin file -- I downloaded the
    lavasoft ad-ware software and restarted my PC but I still have the problem.
    Alternative solutions???

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=827315
    >
    > Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:
    > http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button
    >
    > Symantec Security Check
    > http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym
    >
    > Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en
    >
    > 3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    > "Donna" wrote:
    >
    > | When I start Internet Explorer or open a new window a box pops up with the
    > | name of "skins". How can I get this box from popping up?

    Hi Beth,

    Try to use Actual Window Manager from
    http://www.ActualTools.com/windowmanager/

    Actual Window Manager has many helpful features to manage windows, such
    as Minimize to Tray, Stay on Top, Make Transparent options and others.

    But in your case you need to use the "Close window automatically"
    option for your pop-up box window.

    Just install Actual Window Manager and run it. Next time then the
    pop-up appears make right click on its caption and choose the new
    "Create Window Rule" command from system window menu.

    The new rule will be created automatically in Actual Window Manager for
    this window. All that you need to do is check the Window Caption
    option, select Window Ations tab and check the "Close window
    automatically" action.

    After that the pop-up window won't disturb you.

    Good Luck!
    Michael Tretyakov

Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP