8800 GTX for 519$

John_C

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
I've don't even consider mail in rebate offers any more. They intentionally make then a pain in the arse to redeem in order to discourage redemptions. Bait pricing. Forget it. I've got enough real hoops to jump through. There days, give me a decent price up front or I'll buy elsewhere.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
very nice find, but I think this is going to be more popular in a week or so
http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4271

Seriously,

Check the date on the article, November 8 2006, how do you consider that "new"

Besides that Anandtech reviewed it on November 13 and came away with this

the fans required to cool the peltier make this card much louder than the competition.

In fact, the Sparkle Calibre is one of the few cards that can actually surpass ATI X1950 XTX noise levels, a dubious achievement at best.

we couldn't overclock it any further and it managed to be the loudest card in the roundup. Extra noise, heat and power with no tangible benefit is not what we like to see.

and although Sparkle gets extra points for trying something different with its peltier cooler the implementation just didn't work out.

The Sparkle will never become popular and it only adds power to the already power hungry top end cards that they put it on. if anything the tec cooler is a huge disappointment.

If anything people should be looking at the eVGA 8800GTX with ACS3 cooling. Quiet and more efficient than the reference design.

GeForce 8800 Roundup: The Best of the Best

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
18,000 in 3dmark 06, i need a towel i just crapped my pants!

wITH MY Setup i only get 10K in 3dmark 06 thats with an E6400 and 8800GTS

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
that is a damn cool, cooling system :S lol...

*on a side note... i bought a BFG NVIDIA card and i sent the thing in and guess what... they LIED !!! and said that i didnt put it in the envelope or something... GOD DAMN that pissed me off... like holly shit they said i didnt put it in.. that it total fcking bs.. never buying from them or nvidia again...

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
that is a damn cool, cooling system :S lol...

*on a side note... i bought a BFG NVIDIA card and i sent the thing in and guess what... they LIED !!! and said that i didnt put it in the envelope or something... GOD DAMN that pissed me off... like holly **** they said i didnt put it in.. that it total fcking bs.. never buying from them or nvidia again...

Nvidia has nothing to do with BFG reliability's...if i where you i just wouldn't buy from BFG, i never bought from BFG and never will.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
I'm not sure if you didn't read my post but it was the loudest of the group, not the quietest...

In fact, the Sparkle Calibre is one of the few cards that can actually surpass ATI X1950 XTX noise levels, a dubious achievement at best.

lambofgode3x

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
has anyone heard anything about after market coolers for the 8800gtx series? ive seen people that modified current coolers, but thats not my thing. (stock coolers like the asc3 or the calibre cooler are nice and all, but id rather be able to pick the brand of card that i get and also which cooler i want to go with.)

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
And i think a 8800GTS 340mb is worse than a X1950XT 512mb cause the X1950XT has more memory...

i'm not sure how you can conclude that with no first hand experience the cooler will be quieter, especially after someone who has had first hand experience has noted completely otherwise. TEC coolers do not automatically equal better performance, why don't you read the article i linked first and then comeback with a logical conclusion.