Your question

Ok guys I need some help here please

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Gaming
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 20, 2007 11:24:39 PM

Alright first off Ive built a few of my own pcs but its been a couple years. I was big into gaming and got out of the gaming pc scene for quit some time. Back in now and wanting to build a new system. I want this system to be good for gaming which is mainly the only thing Ill be using it for aside from just the normal bs. Im asking for help because Im lost on what hardware to get its been so long and I havent kept up with anything at all. My system needs to be replaced bad! Right now Im running AMD XP 2800+ (i think? its oc'd to like 2.5 or 2.4 I forget as to im at work cant look), A7N8x Pro MB, Nvidia 6800 gt, 1.5 gigs ram (just old school ddr 333) ah thats the main stuff. If someone is bored and has the time list me out a decent gaming system Im not trying to spend a ton but surely I could build one that would smash my old system right? I want to find a nice case with decent room for fans not one of the small cases I dont care for those also Im lost between Intel & AMD as it sounds AMD has fallen back alot! Video card wise I prefer Nvidia but whats better performance wise now for price? Im sure the 6800 gt 256 can be replaced with somthing better easily. Basically just tell me what I should buy I cant afford top of the line everything but I want a pretty bad ass system. I appreciate any help guys everyone here seems to have quite a bit of knowledge.

Sorry for the long post..

More about : guys

January 20, 2007 11:38:18 PM

Quote:
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
Core2Duo E6300
DDR2-800 4-4-4-12
Geforce 7900GS
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB
Case :?:

Something like that. Give this a read...

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.aspx?i=2910

certainly not a bad system, but I'm really happy with my Radeon x1950 Pro. Don't overclock it though, or your system is going to cry. You also might consider a move up to an E6400 is you're an overclocker.
Related resources
January 20, 2007 11:47:54 PM

I'm looking at the x1950Pro also. But Dim3nsion says he likes Nvidia, and I thought suggesting the 8800GTX would be too much. :D 
January 20, 2007 11:47:55 PM

Quote:
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
Core2Duo E6300
DDR2-800 4-4-4-12
Geforce 7900GS

Thanks for the info man. Ill read over that guide also.

Yeah im just not sure what to get really. Ive always ran AMD so if I switch to Intel it will be alot different haha. Yea I plan on overclocking some Im sure so may have to move up. Im biased as far as Nvidia and ATI although I may give ATI a shot Im not sure really just want to get the best performace possible. Im not playing anything too major right now just WoW and the occasional shooter but mainly wow for now yeah I know I need to quit haha. My 6800 works decent enough but I could go for more FPS thats for sure! I may shell out the extra cash and get a 512 card atleast. I dont know maybe the 7950 gt 512? Def not gonna pay for the 8800 haha.
January 21, 2007 12:00:55 AM

Quote:
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
Core2Duo E6300
DDR2-800 4-4-4-12
Geforce 7900GS

Thanks for the info man. Ill read over that guide also.

Yeah im just not sure what to get really. Ive always ran AMD so if I switch to Intel it will be alot different haha. Yea I plan on overclocking some Im sure so may have to move up. Im biased as far as Nvidia and ATI although I may give ATI a shot Im not sure really just want to get the best performace possible. Im not playing anything too major right now just WoW and the occasional shooter but mainly wow for now yeah I know I need to quit haha. My 6800 works decent enough but I could go for more FPS thats for sure! I may shell out the extra cash and get a 512 card atleast. I dont know maybe the 7950 gt 512? Def not gonna pay for the 8800 haha.

The trick is, you get a video card that has memory fast enough that it never fills up. That's what I'm getting from my x1950Pro I have to admit though, I'm an ATI fan.

As far as being an AMD fan, well, my last build with an Intel chip was a P-150. Sometimes one company pulls ahead of another in an area. If I were to build a new compy (and I just did build 5), there was no way I wasn't going with c2d's, and the 6400 was my chip of choice.

bt, p5b-deluxe mobo, E6400, 2GB Corsair 8000mhz RAM, Asus x1950Pro.....5000+ 3dMark06 no overclocking
January 21, 2007 12:01:49 AM

Oh, and hard drives go, I used a couple WDs in RAID 0, but those Seagates you mentioned are sweet drives.
January 21, 2007 12:10:36 AM

Quote:

The trick is, you get a video card that has memory fast enough that it never fills up. That's what I'm getting from my x1950Pro I have to admit though, I'm an ATI fan.

As far as being an AMD fan, well, my last build with an Intel chip was a P-150. Sometimes one company pulls ahead of another in an area. If I were to build a new compy (and I just did build 5), there was no way I wasn't going with c2d's, and the 6400 was my chip of choice.

bt, p5b-deluxe mobo, E6400, 2GB Corsair 8000mhz RAM, Asus x1950Pro.....5000+ 3dMark06 no overclocking

What games do you normally play and fps good? You have the x1950 pro which brand and whats that compare to as far as Nvidia goes? I know they usually have cards that compare to each other and like I said its been so long since Ive kept up with any of this im lost. Maybe I will give intel a go just for something new. Dont really plan to OC unless its needed really. Honestly like I said mainly right now im just playing WoW and maybe some CS:Source or something. Whats the clock speed on your system with the 6400? like whats its base clock? What about your case anything fancy or just a basic case? I kinda like the P-180 theres just soo many cases. Sorry for so many questions Ive just been away not keeping up for way too long!
!