Will this be a problem in North Carolina?
5 answers Last reply
More about bestbuy v551 sims

    On 2004-12-11, N Hamilton <no_spamham@no_spamnc.rr.com> wrote:
    > Just got 3 V551's with BestBuy. (They have sale with 2 for $50)
    > They all have 32K sims.
    >
    > I thought I read that they 551s should have 64K SIMs.
    > Will this be a problem in North Carolina?

    I just asked this question, so I'll try my hand at answering it. The best
    summary I was pointed to was this one:
    http://www.howardforums.com/archive/topic/492681-1.html

    The short answer is that it probably won't matter to you. The reason for
    the added intelligence is to benefit Cingular by doing better load
    balancing on their networks. So, yeah, you could end up on a more crowded
    network and that could impact performance somewhat, but you'll probably
    never notice. And what little difference there is for the end user will go
    away over time as the multiple networks end up getting merged anyway.

    The one case where it seems it might make a difference is international
    roaming. If you're going to do international travel and plan on using your
    current phone/sim on the road, I'd ask Cingular about the newer one.

    --
    Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
    PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695

    A little off topic, but this phone has a flaw: if you use the phone as a BT
    modem and forgot to disconnect, the next time you'll have to power cycle the
    BT to get the BT back to work. This flaw destroys all the beauty of BT.

    Just let those who are going to use this phone for this purpose to know
    about this.

    In <o2Gud.106$xR1.128438@twister.southeast.rr.com> on Sat, 11 Dec 2004
    17:23:32 GMT, "N Hamilton" <no_spamham@no_spamnc.rr.com> wrote:

    >Just got 3 V551's with BestBuy. (They have sale with 2 for $50)
    >They all have 32K sims.
    >
    >I thought I read that they 551s should have 64K SIMs.
    >Will this be a problem in North Carolina?

    Best Buy is selling them with 32K SIMs here in California as well, simply
    because these Best Buy stores only have 32K SIMs in stock.

    According to my Best Buy salesman, when I complained about the 32K sims,
    they were delivered that morning by a man from Cingular.

    In <Xtqvd.5149$hc7.432433@twister.southeast.rr.com> on Tue, 14 Dec 2004
    00:29:43 GMT, "N Hamilton" <no_spamham@no_spamnc.rr.com> wrote:

    >> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >>
    >> In <o2Gud.106$xR1.128438@twister.southeast.rr.com> on Sat, 11 Dec 2004
    >> 17:23:32 GMT, "N Hamilton" <no_spamham@no_spamnc.rr.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Just got 3 V551's with BestBuy. (They have sale with 2 for $50)
    >>>They all have 32K sims.
    >>>
    >>>I thought I read that they 551s should have 64K SIMs.
    >>>Will this be a problem in North Carolina?
    >>
    >> Best Buy is selling them with 32K SIMs here in California as well, simply
    >> because these Best Buy stores only have 32K SIMs in stock.

    >According to my Best Buy salesman, when I complained about the 32K sims,
    >they were delivered that morning by a man from Cingular.

    Why would you believe anything from a Best Buy salesman?

Cingular Sims Internet Service Providers