Automatic update?

Normally, when critical updates are available both of my computers are
automatically updated. Yesterday morning at our computer club's Q&A session
one of the members mentioned 10 critical updates should be installed. As of
this morning, neither had been updated so I manually executed Windows Update
and there were 11 applied. Same on other computer.
Is "Automatic" not longer automatic?

From what I've been seeing in various newsgroups, the Automatic Update has
quit working for quite a few people, including my company...30 machines with
WinXP SP2. Had to do all manual updates.

Tom
"Chuck Davis" <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com> wrote in message
| Normally, when critical updates are available both of my computers are
| automatically updated. Yesterday morning at our computer club's Q&A
session
| one of the members mentioned 10 critical updates should be installed. As
of
| this morning, neither had been updated so I manually executed Windows
Update
| and there were 11 applied. Same on other computer.
| Is "Automatic" not longer automatic?

Thank you Tom,
I'll get the news out to our members.
"Tom Pepper Willett" <tompepper@mvps.org> wrote in message
> From what I've been seeing in various newsgroups, the Automatic Update has
> quit working for quite a few people, including my company...30 machines
> with
> WinXP SP2. Had to do all manual updates.
>
> Tom
> "Chuck Davis" <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com> wrote in message
> | Normally, when critical updates are available both of my computers are
> | automatically updated. Yesterday morning at our computer club's Q&A
> session
> | one of the members mentioned 10 critical updates should be installed. As
> of
> | this morning, neither had been updated so I manually executed Windows
> Update
> | and there were 11 applied. Same on other computer.
> | Is "Automatic" not longer automatic?

I suspect they are going out in stages because of volume.

"Chuck Davis" <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com> wrote in message
> Normally, when critical updates are available both of my computers are
> automatically updated. Yesterday morning at our computer club's Q&A
> session one of the members mentioned 10 critical updates should be
> installed. As of this morning, neither had been updated so I manually
> executed Windows Update and there were 11 applied. Same on other computer.
> Is "Automatic" not longer automatic?

"Chuck Davis" <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com> wrote in message
> Normally, when critical updates are available both of my computers are
> automatically updated. Yesterday morning at our computer club's Q&A
> session one of the members mentioned 10 critical updates should be
> installed. As of this morning, neither had been updated so I manually
> executed Windows Update and there were 11 applied. Same on other computer.
> Is "Automatic" not longer automatic?

Automatic didnt work for me either.

<f9@freeinternet.com> wrote in message
> "Chuck Davis" <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com> wrote in message
> > Normally, when critical updates are available both of my computers
are
> > automatically updated. Yesterday morning at our computer club's
Q&A
> > session one of the members mentioned 10 critical updates should be
> > installed. As of this morning, neither had been updated so I
manually
> > executed Windows Update and there were 11 applied. Same on other
computer.
> > Is "Automatic" not longer automatic?
>
> Automatic didnt work for me either.

Automatic Update did work correctly for my two computers.

My XP Pro doesn't identify any updates as being available either
automatically or when I go to the update site. I'll try each day and
suspect that there must be a limit on the number to be pushed out each day.
Pity that I'm down the queue!

>I suspect they are going out in stages because of volume.

You should always see them if you visit Windows Update if they have not
already been downloaded and installed on your computer.

"Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
> My XP Pro doesn't identify any updates as being available either
> automatically or when I go to the update site. I'll try each day and
> suspect that there must be a limit on the number to be pushed out each
> day. Pity that I'm down the queue!

>>I suspect they are going out in stages because of volume.
>>
>> --

Hi Colin

It may be a stupid question, but is there a list of the updates that became
available earlier this week? I think it was Tuesday when they became
available.

Thanks

www.microsoft.com/security

| Hi Colin
|
| It may be a stupid question, but is there a list of the updates that
became
| available earlier this week? I think it was Tuesday when they became
| available.
|
| Thanks
|
| "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
| > You should always see them if you visit Windows Update if they have not
| > already been downloaded and installed on your computer.
| >
| > --
| > Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
| > (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
| > "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
| >> My XP Pro doesn't identify any updates as being available either
| >> automatically or when I go to the update site. I'll try each day and
| >> suspect that there must be a limit on the number to be pushed out each
| >> day. Pity that I'm down the queue!
| >>
| >> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

This is the list from my Windows Update history.

Security Update for Windows XP (KB873333) Successful Tuesday, February
08, 2005 Windows Update website
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - February 2005 (KB890830)
Successful Tuesday, February 08, 2005 Windows Update website
Security Update for Windows XP (KB888113) Successful Tuesday, February
08, 2005 Windows Update website
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP
(KB867282) Successful Tuesday, February 08, 2005 Windows Update website
Security Update for Windows XP (KB891781) Successful Tuesday, February
08, 2005 Windows Update website
Security Update for Windows XP (KB885250) Successful Tuesday, February
08, 2005 Windows Update website
Security Update for Windows Messenger (KB887472) Successful Tuesday,
February 08, 2005 Windows Update website
Security Update for Windows XP (KB890047) Successful Tuesday, February
08, 2005 Windows Update website
Security Update for Windows XP (KB888302) Successful Tuesday, February
08, 2005 Windows Update website
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack
1 (KB886903) Successful Tuesday, February 08, 2005 Windows Update website

"Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
> Hi Colin
>
> It may be a stupid question, but is there a list of the updates that
> became available earlier this week? I think it was Tuesday when they
> became available.
>
> Thanks

>> You should always see them if you visit Windows Update if they have not
>> already been downloaded and installed on your computer.
>>
>> --
>> "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
>>> My XP Pro doesn't identify any updates as being available either
>>> automatically or when I go to the update site. I'll try each day and
>>> suspect that there must be a limit on the number to be pushed out each
>>> day. Pity that I'm down the queue!
>>>
>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

Hi

I just checked again. None of these updates have been applied to my system
(I looked at Installation History on the Update Site) and none shows up as
being available!

I have XP Pro SP2 and want to keep my updates current. What should I do?

Thank you.

> This is the list from my Windows Update history.
>
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB873333) Successful Tuesday,
> February 08, 2005 Windows Update website
> Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - February 2005 (KB890830)
> Successful Tuesday, February 08, 2005 Windows Update website
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB888113) Successful Tuesday,
> February 08, 2005 Windows Update website
> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP
> (KB867282) Successful Tuesday, February 08, 2005 Windows Update website
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB891781) Successful Tuesday,
> February 08, 2005 Windows Update website
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB885250) Successful Tuesday,
> February 08, 2005 Windows Update website
> Security Update for Windows Messenger (KB887472) Successful Tuesday,
> February 08, 2005 Windows Update website
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB890047) Successful Tuesday,
> February 08, 2005 Windows Update website
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB888302) Successful Tuesday,
> February 08, 2005 Windows Update website
> Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service
> Pack 1 (KB886903) Successful Tuesday, February 08, 2005 Windows Update
> website

> "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message

What happens when you navigate to Windows Update (say, from Tools>Windows
Update)?

> Hi
>
> I just checked again. None of these updates have been applied to my
> system (I looked at Installation History on the Update Site) and none
> shows up as being available!
>
> I have XP Pro SP2 and want to keep my updates current. What should I do?
>
> Thank you.

>> This is the list from my Windows Update history.
>>
>> Security Update for Windows XP (KB873333) Successful Tuesday,
>> February 08, 2005 Windows Update website
>> Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - February 2005 (KB890830)
>> Successful Tuesday, February 08, 2005 Windows Update website
>> Security Update for Windows XP (KB888113) Successful Tuesday,
>> February 08, 2005 Windows Update website
>> Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP
>> (KB867282) Successful Tuesday, February 08, 2005 Windows Update website
>> Security Update for Windows XP (KB891781) Successful Tuesday,
>> February 08, 2005 Windows Update website
>> Security Update for Windows XP (KB885250) Successful Tuesday,
>> February 08, 2005 Windows Update website
>> Security Update for Windows Messenger (KB887472) Successful Tuesday,
>> February 08, 2005 Windows Update website
>> Security Update for Windows XP (KB890047) Successful Tuesday,
>> February 08, 2005 Windows Update website
>> Security Update for Windows XP (KB888302) Successful Tuesday,
>> February 08, 2005 Windows Update website
>> Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service
>> Pack 1 (KB886903) Successful Tuesday, February 08, 2005 Windows Update
>> website
>>
>> --
>> "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message

Hi Colin

IE takes me to
http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us and,
when I check what's available for my system, there's nothing there for me.
I checked the installation history and none of the updates mentioned
previously have been applied. I'm concerned because I like to keep up to
date with these security updates.

Thank you for any other input.

> What happens when you navigate to Windows Update (say, from Tools>Windows
> Update)?

> "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message

Open Windows Update. On the left click the link to Help and Support. Pay
special attention to the Get Assistance section. Review the knowledge base
and/or use the Send a Problem Report.