Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

No drag and drop to Quicklaunch bar

Tags:
  • Policy
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 7:01:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

Hi,
I'm setting up a group policy to restrict what users can do on laptops, and
I've somehow stopped users from dragging and dropping to the Qucklaunch bar
to create a shortcut.
Right-click context menu's are working on the taskbar (I can delete existing
shortcuts using the menu's) but just can't create new ones.

I've been all through the relevant GPO and cant find anything that looks
like it would have caused this. The only settings I have active (as per
RSOP) in the User/Admin Templates/Start Menu and Taskbar are as follows:

Remove Links to Windows Update
Remove Network Connections from Start Menu
Add Logoff to the Start Menu
Do not keep history of recent documents
Clear History of recent documents on exit
Turn off user tracking
Remove frequent programs list from Start Menu
Remove Username from Start Menu

Does anyone know of a group policy setting that would be doing what I have
described? I've been looking for hours and can't find anything that even
resembles it.

Thanks
Andy.

More about : drag drop quicklaunch bar

Anonymous
September 20, 2004 7:11:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

Hi Andy

Are you sure this is GPO related?

Does a new user in an OU not subject to this policy have this problem?

Can you drag and drop in general?

What are the permissions on the Quick Launch folder?

Kind regards
--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]
Windows Platform Support Team
Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com

Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
me; I'll post a response back to the group.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Andy Mitchell" <amitchell@remove.casey.vic.gov.au> wrote in message
news:uOhri7snEHA.2680@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> I'm setting up a group policy to restrict what users can do on laptops,
> and
> I've somehow stopped users from dragging and dropping to the Qucklaunch
> bar
> to create a shortcut.
> Right-click context menu's are working on the taskbar (I can delete
> existing
> shortcuts using the menu's) but just can't create new ones.
>
> I've been all through the relevant GPO and cant find anything that looks
> like it would have caused this. The only settings I have active (as per
> RSOP) in the User/Admin Templates/Start Menu and Taskbar are as follows:
>
> Remove Links to Windows Update
> Remove Network Connections from Start Menu
> Add Logoff to the Start Menu
> Do not keep history of recent documents
> Clear History of recent documents on exit
> Turn off user tracking
> Remove frequent programs list from Start Menu
> Remove Username from Start Menu
>
> Does anyone know of a group policy setting that would be doing what I have
> described? I've been looking for hours and can't find anything that even
> resembles it.
>
> Thanks
> Andy.
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 7:42:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

"Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:u#J8YBtnEHA.3464@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi Andy

Hi Mark. Thanks for the quick response.


>
> Are you sure this is GPO related?
>

About 99.9999999% sure. It only started happening once the group policy was
put in place.

> Does a new user in an OU not subject to this policy have this problem?
>

No. It's only if I place a user in this OU that the problem occurs.

> Can you drag and drop in general?
>

Explorer is fine, but just checking again now and I am unable to drag
anything to the desktop either. When I'm dragging it appears that the icon
will be created (I get the transparent icon with a solid black bar
indicating where it will be created) but when I release the mouse button I
get nothing.

> What are the permissions on the Quick Launch folder?

Full control for the user, administrator and System. Same for the desktop
folder. There is no folder redirection set for Desktop or Application Data
either, so it doesn't look like a network rights issue.

It's very strange. If I try to drag and drop an exe to the desktop I get the
same result, but if I right-click the exe and choose Send To / Desktop it
works fine.
Related resources
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 9:00:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

Just doing some more checking and removing the user from the OU did not make
the problem go away.
Removing the computer from the OU worked. I've checked the computer settings
in the GPO and it all looks fine. There's just a setting to disable Windows
Error Reporting and a software installation package that installs Office 2k3
pro.
The only thing I can think of is that Office is somehow interfering with the
quicklaunch bar.

I'll do some more testing and let you know what I find.

Andy.



"Andy Mitchell" <amitchell@remove.casey.vic.gov.au> wrote in message
news:upNrxStnEHA.2172@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>
> "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:u#J8YBtnEHA.3464@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Hi Andy
>
> Hi Mark. Thanks for the quick response.
>
>
> >
> > Are you sure this is GPO related?
> >
>
> About 99.9999999% sure. It only started happening once the group policy
was
> put in place.
>
> > Does a new user in an OU not subject to this policy have this problem?
> >
>
> No. It's only if I place a user in this OU that the problem occurs.
>
> > Can you drag and drop in general?
> >
>
> Explorer is fine, but just checking again now and I am unable to drag
> anything to the desktop either. When I'm dragging it appears that the icon
> will be created (I get the transparent icon with a solid black bar
> indicating where it will be created) but when I release the mouse button I
> get nothing.
>
> > What are the permissions on the Quick Launch folder?
>
> Full control for the user, administrator and System. Same for the desktop
> folder. There is no folder redirection set for Desktop or Application Data
> either, so it doesn't look like a network rights issue.
>
> It's very strange. If I try to drag and drop an exe to the desktop I get
the
> same result, but if I right-click the exe and choose Send To / Desktop it
> works fine.
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 1:06:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

Hi Andy

Can we clarify the cause? Please try the following:

1. Create a test user in a different OU. Have the computer in a different
OU. Confirm the issue is not present.

2. Move the user to the OU and log out and back in. Test.

3. Move the computer to the OU and reboot. Test.

4. Move the user back out of hte OU and log out and back in. Test.

5. Move the computer out of the OU and reboot. Test.

Kind regards
--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]
Windows Platform Support Team
Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com

Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
me; I'll post a response back to the group.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Andy Mitchell" <amitchell@remove.casey.vic.gov.au> wrote in message
news:eazXV%23tnEHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Just doing some more checking and removing the user from the OU did not
> make
> the problem go away.
> Removing the computer from the OU worked. I've checked the computer
> settings
> in the GPO and it all looks fine. There's just a setting to disable
> Windows
> Error Reporting and a software installation package that installs Office
> 2k3
> pro.
> The only thing I can think of is that Office is somehow interfering with
> the
> quicklaunch bar.
>
> I'll do some more testing and let you know what I find.
>
> Andy.
>
>
>
> "Andy Mitchell" <amitchell@remove.casey.vic.gov.au> wrote in message
> news:upNrxStnEHA.2172@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:u#J8YBtnEHA.3464@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> > Hi Andy
>>
>> Hi Mark. Thanks for the quick response.
>>
>>
>> >
>> > Are you sure this is GPO related?
>> >
>>
>> About 99.9999999% sure. It only started happening once the group policy
> was
>> put in place.
>>
>> > Does a new user in an OU not subject to this policy have this problem?
>> >
>>
>> No. It's only if I place a user in this OU that the problem occurs.
>>
>> > Can you drag and drop in general?
>> >
>>
>> Explorer is fine, but just checking again now and I am unable to drag
>> anything to the desktop either. When I'm dragging it appears that the
>> icon
>> will be created (I get the transparent icon with a solid black bar
>> indicating where it will be created) but when I release the mouse button
>> I
>> get nothing.
>>
>> > What are the permissions on the Quick Launch folder?
>>
>> Full control for the user, administrator and System. Same for the desktop
>> folder. There is no folder redirection set for Desktop or Application
>> Data
>> either, so it doesn't look like a network rights issue.
>>
>> It's very strange. If I try to drag and drop an exe to the desktop I get
> the
>> same result, but if I right-click the exe and choose Send To / Desktop it
>> works fine.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
April 7, 2009 5:24:07 PM

Had the same problem, Windows 2008 Server and Terminal Service enabled.

The GPO that disabled Quick Launch Drag and drop for me was "Prevent access to drives on My computer".
When I disabled that the issue went away. (Ie. Not configured)

Hope it helps!