How to set association for a file type to an application b..

hi all,

for my users, I add all of their desktop icons by a start-up script,
specific to each OU.

One problem I seem to have is with file association with some filetypes
in particular.

Users use rdp client to connect to 3 rdp sessions.
I xcopy the rdp files to the desktops like so:

xcopy \\store-a\Common\s\Software\RDP-ts-client\
Remote_Desktop_Client\*.rdp C:\DOCUME~1\%username%\Desktop\ /Y

This works fine. The files are copied, but when I get them to run one of
the rdp connections, it doesn't know what to run it with, requiring me to
fix it.

Is it possible to create a policy/registry entry to associate all *.rdp
files with c:\program files\rdp client\mstsc.exe ?

tia,
bernard

On 20 Sep 2004 10:20:36 GMT, bluNOboxSPAMthief
<newsgroups-spambaiter@runningIHATEwithSPAMbulls.com> wrote:

>hi all,
>
>for my users, I add all of their desktop icons by a start-up script,
>specific to each OU.
>
>One problem I seem to have is with file association with some filetypes
>in particular.
>
>Users use rdp client to connect to 3 rdp sessions.
>I xcopy the rdp files to the desktops like so:
>
>xcopy \\store-a\Common\s\Software\RDP-ts-client\
>Remote_Desktop_Client\*.rdp C:\DOCUME~1\%username%\Desktop\ /Y
>
>This works fine. The files are copied, but when I get them to run one of
>the rdp connections, it doesn't know what to run it with, requiring me to
>fix it.
>
>Is it possible to create a policy/registry entry to associate all *.rdp
>files with c:\program files\rdp client\mstsc.exe ?
>
>tia,
>bernard

The following .reg file is standard for WXP.

Relace the mstc.exe with the full path to your exe:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.RDP]
@="RDP.File"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RDP.File]
@="Remote Desktop Connection"
"FriendlyTypeName"="@C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\mstsc.exe,-4004"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RDP.File\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\mstsc.exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RDP.File\shell]
@="Connect"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RDP.File\shell\Connect]
@="Connect"
"MUIVerb"="@C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\mstsc.exe,-4002"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RDP.File\shell\Connect\command]
@="mstsc.exe \"%l\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RDP.File\shell\Edit]
@="Edit"
"MUIVerb"="@C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\mstsc.exe,-4003"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RDP.File\shell\Edit\command]
@="mstsc.exe -edit \"%l\""

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.