Is it possible to upgrade an e6300 or e6400?

NaShOrN

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Hi folks. I was reading on the E6300 and E6400 processors and here's something that was new to me. Despite everyone saying they're codenamed Allendale, they're in fact Conroes. They come with physical 4mb of L2 cache, but Intel makes only 2mb of those 4 accessible. I was wondering whether it would be possible to unlock the extra 2mb cache; any of you have any idea about that? Also, I was wondering if there would be someone who had the knowledge and the spare bucks to try such feat.

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
they are a conroe core but the disabled cache makes them more similar to an allendale

you cant unlock the extra 2MB Cache that is disabled

evilr00t

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
they are a conroe core but the disabled cache makes them more similar to an allendale

Aw c'mon, you aren't going to tell him to sacrifice three chickens during a lunar eclipse to unlock the other half of the cache? :lol:

pignoli

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
I believe that even if you could unlock it, it would do no good as it's chips with defective cache that are made into the 2mb chips.

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
no it cant be unlocked unlike the amd/ati chips that can be flashed to unlock shader and pixel pipelines

the L2 size (2/4) doesn't matter that much in conroe based cpus. the difference it makes is slight, clock speed has a much greater effect on system performance

NaShOrN

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I was just curious about that, some time in the past there were people that in order to overclock their processors did hard mods on their hardware instead of asking mommy to buy water cooling and going to the bios and changing the settings. Actually, besides the results you get, I realy don't see any feat in that. It's all about how much money you have in the end, you don't have to be very smart to change bios settings. My curiosity arose because in that same past, they could overclock usually because the worse chips were just the same as the more expensive ones, and you just had to alter something on it's circuit or do a pin mod (in case of processors). Well, it is sad that you can't actually do that in this case. As I don't have the money or expertise on C2D myself, I thought maybe some of you guys would have tried that.

agree
Yea. Agree too.

The only way it might be possible, is with some sort of a hard-mod, like a pencil mod, under the heat spreader, but if it was possible it would of been done.

Yes, if it was possible it would have been done, thus why I asked here. ;)